Oru 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oru 2.0

Likr I told Terry V last year on his game blog. Those seats are filled with the departed souls of ORU fans. God and Oral Roberts are tight. So they count souls not seats.

Comment

When you consider that the capacity is 11k, 5k is less than 50 per cent capacity then the attendence might be accurate. If SDSU has the fortune of winning 5 Summit Leagues in a row, I think we could expect to have about 5k regular fans. Of course, I did not stream so I have only WNAX signal to support my comment, which are pure gut feelings. Feel free to trash my gut feeling.

Also Tulsa is a what larger than Lincoln Nebraska, which is appoaching 300k in population?. I happened to catch KELO land clip on the Summit League Tourney, and Mr. Sullivan, who is apparently in charge of the staff, said that SF had more to offer the Summit League and he made reference of more things going on in Tulsa as compared to SF and they expect a much better turnout than occurred in Tulsa the past few years. I think if we have big turnouts in SF, its going to be tough to even consider the WIU bid that someone mentioned. With SF,SDSU and NDSU, we still have "the only game in town" affect working for us. If anyone took the tourney away from SF, it might be Fargo and NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        When you consider that the capacity is 11k, 5k is less than 50 per cent capacity then the attendence might be accurate. If SDSU has the fortune of winning 5 Summit Leagues in a row, I think we could expect to have about 5k regular fans. Of course, I did not stream so I have only WNAX signal to support my comment, which are pure gut feelings. Feel free to trash my gut feeling.

Also Tulsa is a what larger than Lincoln Nebraska, which is appoaching 300k in population?. I happened to catch KELO land clip on the Summit League Tourney, and Mr. Sullivan, who is apparently in charge of the staff, said that SF had more to offer the Summit League and he made reference of more things going on in Tulsa as compared to SF and they expect a much better turnout than occurred in Tulsa the past few years. I think if we have big turnouts in SF, its going to be tough to even consider the WIU bid that someone mentioned. With SF,SDSU and NDSU, we still have "the only game in town" affect working for us. If anyone took the tourney away from SF, it might be Fargo and NDSU.
        If Sioux Falls hosts the Summit League Tourney in the future when USD is in the conference attendance is only going to improve. NDSU, SDSU and soon USD are the best thing to happen to the Summit League in a long time.

Comment

I'm a little late in getting over here, but I wanted to tell you guys that your team played a great game Thursday night. With four minutes left I really thought you were going to win it. You played great defense, and made it tough for us to get the ball inside to our big guys, while our outside shooting was poor. The Rabbits slowed it down, limited possessions, and really controlled the tempo of the game. In the final couple of minutes if it hadn't been for our Marcus Lewis refusing to take a loss and willing the ball into the basket, I think you guys would have won. I realize your frustrated at this point, but I think you can be proud of the way your team played Thursday night.

As far as the attendance thing goes, there were nowhere NEAR 5,000 people there Thursday night. The north side of the arena, where the camera is positioned, WAS fuller than the south side, but still, nowhere near the number on the box score. I'd guess between 2,000 and 2,500. This has been discussed so many times on our board that it is a pseudo-banned subject - nobody wants to talk about it any more. It comes down to "actual" attendance vs. sold seats. ORU comps out a lot of tickets to sponsors, faculty, students, and the like that are considered "sold", whether or not they are used. For weekend games or against major opponents (no slight intended there) many if not most of those empty seats are used. But for mid-week games often times they're not, and it really makes the attendance number look fake. In a sense, it is. But I think that most schools do the same thing - using sold seats vs. actual attendance as the announced attendance number.

Comment

One other thing - the city of Tulsa is right around 400,000 - the metropolitan area in near a million.

Comment

Originally posted by tmh8286 View Post
              One other thing - the city of Tulsa is right around 400,000 - the metropolitan area in near a million.
              Thanks I could have googled Tulsa and gotten the population. It iss much larger than Lincoln as I cited. The crowd did come in loud over WNAX our broadcast station, so had no doubts about 5k.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

In addition to events in Tulsa, you have great Big 12 basketball close to Tulsa in Norman and Stillwater. The Summit League Tourney will be the Big Show here, and we will respond accordingly. I think Sioux Falls will blow away the Summit League with how well the tourney will be run, and it will help USD get in the league by riding in on our coattails.

Comment

Originally posted by tmh8286 View Post
                  But I think that most schools do the same thing - using sold seats vs. actual attendance as the announced attendance number.
                  SDSU, by and large, uses butts in the seats. If you go to the game, you'll see the ushers at the turnstiles running hand counters.

However, they have no way of tracking people who leave during doubleheaders so you do get some attendance inflation there.

To the best of my knowledge, SDSU has only once used sold tickets during the past year-----and that was to pad the numbers of a miserably cold and sleety football game against, IIRC, Illinois State (can anyone back me up on the team?)

Comment

I believe NDSU also uses actual attendance for basketball, don't know why we don't for football though.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                      I believe NDSU also uses actual attendance for basketball, don't know why we don't for football though.
                      I'm going to take a guess on this one:

It helps the Bison justify their claim to first dibs on the Dome.

If they only announced actual attendance, then days where their paid attendance is a few thousand (or even several thousand) higher don't look so good. And since paid attendance is the only meaningful number for whatever government board oversees the Dome, that might as well be the number they report.

In short, I believe it's because NDSU has to answer to an outside agency for their use of the dome.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        I'm going to take a guess on this one:

It helps the Bison justify their claim to first dibs on the Dome.

If they only announced actual attendance, then days where their paid attendance is a few thousand (or even several thousand) higher don't look so good. And since paid attendance is the only meaningful number for whatever government board oversees the Dome, that might as well be the number they report.

In short, I believe it's because NDSU has to answer to an outside agency for their use of the dome.
                        Actually the agency is going to get both numbers for different but equally important reasons. Butts in seats is needed to prepare staffing and in relation to concessions and other aspects related to staging events. Not sure it makes much difference though, can't imagine them kicking them out of there.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          Not sure it makes much difference though, can't imagine them kicking them out of there.
                          It might affect scheduling as in:

That Bon Jovi concert might net 15,000 sold, but the NDSU game will net 17,000 sold.......

Comment

The Fargo Forum had a report at the ORU-NDSU game reports a crowd of 8946 or something to that effect. Might be wrong on the change part, but supposely a crowd nearly double of Thursday.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 03-01-2009, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X