Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Not too much left ,in terms of "quality recruits that fit our program"
    ,for this year,is there?Don't want to settle for less,when we can wait and get more,on the other hand,playing a whole season without "enhancing" what we've already got is kind of a waste too.What to do?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      Not sure what you mean.

Division III's are 4 yr schools. South Dakota doesn't have any, but Minnesota has a ton of them with the MIAC. I've noticed that many schools that are Div. III are private institutions, but I don't have any basis for that other than my own knowledge and understanding. Wisconsin also has a ton of Div. III schools and zero Div. II schools as far as I understand.

JuCo's are junior colleges that are two year institutions. Again, South Dakota does have one (with athletics) in South Dakota Tech?, but Minnesota has a bunch of these spread out across the state. Their athletic programs are not very good though (in MN at least). Many kids go JuCo because they're non-qualifiers out of high school or they feel they can develop their game and be found by a higher division school after a couple of years.

Is that what you were asking?
      South Dakota TEch is NAIA and trying to go D-II if they can find a conference.

The question I was asking was can you transfer without missing from a D-III to a D-I? Because D-III is non-scholarship right? Because when you read Wisconsin who has a lot of D-III schools, is that you hear a lot of waiting for a D-I offer otherwise I'll go to a local D-III school. Was wondering if that was because they were going to transfer or just because that is the only other option.

I believe Dakota state is considering going D-III and Presentation already is.

Comment

I know the chicago class is very deep for this year. a lot of people are taken already but im sure theres a couple that are still undecided. With you guys having nate I dont see why you cant reel in another big man easily.

Comment

Presentation is D-III. They are in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference along with St. Scholastica and Minnesota-Morris.

I've talked with Gene Wockenfuss (DSU's AD) many times about the future of the Trojans. He said very emphatically that they are NOT going to go to D-III athletics. Rather, they withdrew from the Dakota Athletic Conference and will compete as a member of the Association of Independent Institutions in NAIA. The eventual goal is to get into the G-PAC, but that might be easier said than done.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by chitown3 View Post
            I know the chicago class is very deep for this year. a lot of people are taken already but im sure theres a couple that are still undecided. With you guys having nate I dont see why you cant reel in another big man easily.
            I think our chances of landing a diamond in the rough this late in the game might be more likely in a larger metro area like Chicago. That means we would have to have the radar on in those areas and be aware of who is available and that's not easy with our limited resources.

Comment

I can't imagine for a second that the coaches aren't doing everything they can to get players to improve the program. If they can be out talking to kids right now then that is what they should be doing and to my knowledge are doing just that.

Will it result in landing "that guy"? Who the heck knows. That is in between the ears of the young man they are recruiting. All I know is that the same guys that landed White, Fiegen, Dykstra, Heemstra, the Zachs, and others are after "that next guy" to help the program.

I have faith to get it done. And, no, I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be talking about recruiting. Quite the opposite, it is exciting to talk about the future of the program. It just seems that everyone thinks the sky is falling. When a prospect commits to someone else you move on. Nothing else to do!

Although, we could sure use a big falling into our lap!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Yes, people have to remember a lot of the kids that haven't signed/verballed haven't because they haven't found out if they will qualify or not.

Also the Jacks didn't lose any size from last years team. Now you could argue that they didn't have much to lose either, but if Heemstra can pack some pounds on he could really help the team. I still think they are out their recruiting heavy. The thing is at the same time they are trying to get a recruit for this year have to start looking for next year and the following year. I'm sure they are figuring out who to invite to their elite camps, right now as well. Its not like D-I (or any college coaching) is easy. And I'm sure they have a personal life of some kind as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  Yes, people have to remember a lot of the kids that haven't signed/verballed haven't because they haven't found out if they will qualify or not.

Also the Jacks didn't lose any size from last years team. Now you could argue that they didn't have much to lose either, but if Heemstra can pack some pounds on he could really help the team. I still think they are out their recruiting heavy. The thing is at the same time they are trying to get a recruit for this year have to start looking for next year and the following year. I'm sure they are figuring out who to invite to their elite camps, right now as well. Its not like D-I (or any college coaching) is easy. And I'm sure they have a personal life of some kind as well.
                  You are correct in that they are still going hard for this year and years to come. It is a never-ending deal. As for social lives, I don't know how coaches do it. The time they put in is incredible. It takes a pretty special person to get it done professionally and have a good home life. Coach Nagy is that kind of person. Yes, I have always been in his corner.

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    Not sure what you mean.

Division III's are 4 yr schools. South Dakota doesn't have any, but Minnesota has a ton of them with the MIAC.
                    For what it is worth, Presentation College up in Aberdeen is D-III.

http://www.pcsaints.com/

Comment

I stumbled upon this article and thought it was interesting. Kinda what goes on during an official visit. Also found it interesting that only 12 official visits can be held in a year.

http://www.coachawinningteam.com/art...ball-recruits/

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                        There aren't "a lot" of programs with 5 scholarships open. Hopefully we will still bring one or two and it will be a moot point, otherwise it will difficult to spin this as a positive.
                        Maybe I'm wrong, but don't we have 3 men's scholarships open (out of 13 total) with one senior graduating next year (Callahan)?

3 open scholarships and one senior is a world away from 5 open scholarships and multiple seniors.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

That's why we need a scholarship chart every year.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Maybe I'm wrong, but don't we have 3 men's scholarships open (out of 13 total) with one senior graduating next year (Callahan)?

3 open scholarships and one senior is a world away from 5 open scholarships and multiple seniors.
                            Who said we had 5 open rides and multiple seniors? If we don't bring in anybody else,next year we will have 5 open scholarships. We have 3 now and 2 seniors graduate next year. Grif and Aireus.

Comment

Who said we had 5 open rides and multiple seniors?
                              You did in this post

There aren't "a lot" of programs with 5 scholarships open.
                              The only way we have 5 scholarships open is if we don't bring anybody in the 2012 class. SDSU has always brought in recruits every year for the last 50 years, what makes you think we are not getting any recruits next year. I hope that statement of yours was a joke, because I laughed when I read it.

Heck last year we turned down recruits because we were full on scholarship players. You can look at the '09-10 and '10-11 classes on this chart I made and posted on this Forum to see that just last year we were out of scholarships.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Rivals shows the Jacks having interest in Robert Duncan from Granite Bay, CA; which is east of Sacramento. Rivals has him as a 6' point guard, but I've also read he is 6'3" and more of a combo guard. (He is a high schooler)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...ollege_choices

Northern Cal has a few JuCo's as well. I don't know if the Jacks are heavily recruiting this kid or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are targeting someone in that area.

Comment

Working...
                                X