Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by Nidaros
    Actually the jitterbug is pretty modern....
    Might have been referring to the Jitterbug cell phone which was marketed pretty heavily to the more mature crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Might have been referring to the Jitterbug cell phone which was marketed pretty heavily to the more mature crowd.
      Hey I never thought of that. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        13 for men,15 for women

Having 5 scholarships available would not be good.

It's unacceptable.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Seniors: Griffan Callahan, Aireus Stephenson

Juniors: Nate Wolters, Tony Fiegen

Sophmores: Jordan Dykstra, Marcus Heemstra, Chad White, Brayden Carlson

Freshman: Zach Horstman, Zach Monaghan

10 scholarship players, 3 available, two freshman walkons with Olson and Jacobsen

At minimum 1 or 2 of these should have been or should be filled. Obviously through a freshman or JUCO big. A freshman big along with Cougill and Baker would have been a homerun. Too bad. Also, Heemstra should have redshirted but they had no choice.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Seniors: Griffan Callahan, Aireus Stephenson

Juniors: Nate Wolters, Tony Fiegen

Sophmores: Jordan Dykstra, Marcus Heemstra, Chad White, Brayden Carlson

Freshman: Zach Horstman, Zach Monaghan

10 scholarship players, 3 available, two freshman walkons with Olson and Jacobsen

At minimum 1 or 2 of these should have been or should be filled. Obviously through a freshman or JUCO big. A freshman big along with Cougill and Baker would have been a homerun. Too bad. Also, Heemstra should have redshirted but they had no choice.
            I'm sure they are still out recruiting have until May 18th? or 19th or some time around then to sign a recruit. USD signed a JuCo recruit out of Norfolk NE via the UK today. (I saw UK, and was thinking Kentucky then read he is from the United Kingdom)

Ask any coach and they will say that whatever you do don't fill a scholarship just to fill a scholarship.

Comment

Alex Olson update

Sounds like he had at least 1 D-I offer http://www.wissports.net/article.asp...0961&sportID=1

Could also be trying to get a leg up on a freshman teammate of his

http://www.wissports.net/team.asp?pa...=201859&tid=53

He played on a good AAU team as an 8th grader and is a 6'0" sharp shooter

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Alex Olson update

Sounds like he had at least 1 D-I offer http://www.wissports.net/article.asp...0961&sportID=1

Could also be trying to get a leg up on a freshman teammate of his

http://www.wissports.net/team.asp?pa...=201859&tid=53

He played on a good AAU team as an 8th grader and is a 6'0" sharp shooter

I think that 'offer' is from SDSU. It states "He recently received an exciting offer from a Div. 1 program..." I think that 'offer' is to walk on at State.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Or get the right recruits and it could be a great thing. Just call me half full on this topic. a lot of programs don't max out scholarships.
                  There aren't "a lot" of programs with 5 scholarships open. Hopefully we will still bring one or two and it will be a moot point, otherwise it will difficult to spin this as a positive.

Comment

I'm sure they are still out recruiting have until May 18th? or 19th or some time around then to sign a recruit. USD signed a JuCo recruit out of Norfolk NE via the UK today. (I saw UK, and was thinking Kentucky then read he is from the United Kingdom)

Ask any coach and they will say that whatever you do don't fill a scholarship just to fill a scholarship.
                    Nobody is suggesting bringing in anybody just to fill a spot, that's absurd.
                    Also, those May dates don't mean much. They have until the start of class next fall to bring in new recruits.

Comment

It's wonderful we are providing an opportunity for these young men to try and realize their dreams by walking on and earning a scholarship, but it would be nice to see us use a few of those open scholarships on some people who can come in and make a more immediate impact and are recognized by other programs as legitimate DI players.

Comment

I think that 'offer' is from SDSU. It states "He recently received an exciting offer from a Div. 1 program..." I think that 'offer' is to walk on at State.
                        I was wondering that.

What is the difference between D-III and a JuCo?

Comment

It's unacceptable.
                          I agree completely....we need to go out and place 5 offers whether they fit our needs or not. The way I see it, you can never have enough 6'1" PG/SG's.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            I agree completely....we need to go out and place 5 offers whether they fit our needs or not. The way I see it, you can never have enough 6'1" PG/SG's.
                            That's not what anyone is saying.....

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              There aren't "a lot" of programs with 5 scholarships open. Hopefully we will still bring one or two and it will be a moot point, otherwise it will difficult to spin this as a positive.
                              It would be good to sign at least one to try and keep the classes somewhat in balance. Waiting and signing five in one year really would give you a top-heavy class,which might be good when they are seniors but not-so-good when they graduate.

Comment

I was wondering that.

What is the difference between D-III and a JuCo?

Not sure what you mean.

Division III's are 4 yr schools. South Dakota doesn't have any, but Minnesota has a ton of them with the MIAC. I've noticed that many schools that are Div. III are private institutions, but I don't have any basis for that other than my own knowledge and understanding. Wisconsin also has a ton of Div. III schools and zero Div. II schools as far as I understand.

JuCo's are junior colleges that are two year institutions. Again, South Dakota does have one (with athletics) in South Dakota Tech?, but Minnesota has a bunch of these spread out across the state. Their athletic programs are not very good though (in MN at least). Many kids go JuCo because they're non-qualifiers out of high school or they feel they can develop their game and be found by a higher division school after a couple of years.

Is that what you were asking?

Comment

Working...
                                X