Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1,000 Pt Milestone

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    Tough loss last night, hopefully the team learned from last year's close losses at California and won't lose their fight.

Countdown Continues.

Kai Williams 51 - 2 = 49 PTS AWAY

Garrett Callahan 135 - 22 = 113 PTS AWAY
    Impressive. I did not even know that these two young men were reaching that 1000 point career mark.

The road win in conference will come. But, it would be nice to get it over with so we quit talking about it. I am sure the players and coaching staff would also like to get that dirty bird off their backs.

Regardless of wins, loses or individual records I am one Jacks fan that is proud to call both Kai and Garrett a Jackrabbit. Both appear to be extremely nice young men. Best of luck to Kai, Garrett and their teammates the balance of the year.

GBGBGJ

Comment

It's affects.

Affect

Affect with an a means "to influence," as in, "The arrows affected Ardvark," or "The rain affected Amy's hairdo." Affect can also mean, roughly, "to act in a way that you don't feel," as in, "She affected an air of superiority."

Effect

Effect with an e has a lot of subtle meanings as a noun, but to me the meaning "a result" seems to be at the core of all the definitions. For example, you can say, "The effect was eye-popping," or "The sound effects were amazing," or "The rain had no effect on Amy's

Rare Uses of Affect and Effect

So what about those rare meanings that don't follow the rules I just gave you? Well, affect can be used as a noun when you're talking about psychology--it means the mood that someone appears to have. For example, "She displayed a happy affect." Psychologists find it useful because they know that you can never really understand what someone else is feeling. You can only know how they appear to be feeling.

And, effect can be used as a verb that essentially means "to bring about," or "to accomplish." For example, you could say, "Aardvark hoped to effect change within the burrow."

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
        It's affects.

Affect

Affect with an a means "to influence," as in, "The arrows affected Ardvark," or "The rain affected Amy's hairdo." Affect can also mean, roughly, "to act in a way that you don't feel," as in, "She affected an air of superiority."

Effect

Effect with an e has a lot of subtle meanings as a noun, but to me the meaning "a result" seems to be at the core of all the definitions. For example, you can say, "The effect was eye-popping," or "The sound effects were amazing," or "The rain had no effect on Amy's

Rare Uses of Affect and Effect

So what about those rare meanings that don't follow the rules I just gave you? Well, affect can be used as a noun when you're talking about psychology--it means the mood that someone appears to have. For example, "She displayed a happy affect." Psychologists find it useful because they know that you can never really understand what someone else is feeling. You can only know how they appear to be feeling.

And, effect can be used as a verb that essentially means "to bring about," or "to accomplish." For example, you could say, "Aardvark hoped to effect change within the burrow."
        OK smartypants, what is the difference between "etc." and "i.e."?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          We dont have a problem and I give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not suggesting we do. In my prior post, I said reaching this milestone is an honor that stays in the records or it does as far as the layout of the SDSU media guides that have included all the 1000 point athletes from Day 1. Its an honor no matter what angle you look at it.
          Nope I wasn't suggesting that.

It is a great honor, no matter how you look at.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            OK smartypants, what is the difference between "etc." and "i.e."?

okay try this

i.e. - that is (stands for id est from Latin). You can also use it to substitute, “in other words.”
            etc. - and so on, and the rest (abbreviation for etcetera).
            e.g. - for instance, for example (abbreviation for exempli gratia in Latin). Remember e.g. by thinking of it as “example given” and then follow it with a few examples. e.g. apples, oranges, bananas. Rule #1: Don’t use e.g. and etc. together because you wouldn’t use for instance (meaning as an example) and then use and so on (meaning others); both phrases imply the names you named were just a part of a group. For example, “e.g. apple, oranges, etc.”
            Technically, you can probably use “i.e. apples, oranges, etc.” since it’s says “that is, apples, oranges, and so on.”
            Rule #2: Use periods as they’re abbreviations.
            Easier workaround: instead of using the abbreviation, use “for example” or “that is” and you can rarely do wrong.
            Since et means and, avoid using and with etc. ect is not the same thing.

Meryl.net

Comment

don't forget this one:

Et al.’ is a scholarly abbreviation of the Latin phrase et alia, which means “and others.” It is commonly used when you don’t want to name all the people or things in a list, and works in roughly the same way as “etc.” “The reorganization plan was designed by Alfred E. Newman, General Halftrack, Zippy the Pinhead, et al.; and it was pretty useless.” The “al.” in this phrase needs a period after it to indicate it is an abbreviation of alia; but it is incorrect to follow “et” with a period. (http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/etal.html)

Had to look that one up in attempt to understand lawyer speak in patents.

Thread drift?

Comment

My favorite...

I like pie...
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

only apple....

no but seriously

Garret and Kai have brought stability to a program that didn't have much... stayed through 2 tough years and seem to be turning it around this year... these guys deserve to see there name in the 1,000 pt club but I think they as much as everybody just wants wins....

Comment

One more piece of thread drift to all you lawyers and journalist. What is more correct. Pled or Plead

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      only apple....

no but seriously

Garret and Kai have brought stability to a program that didn't have much... stayed through 2 tough years and seem to be turning it around this year... these guys deserve to see there name in the 1,000 pt club but I think they as much as everybody just wants wins....
                      Amen Joeboo, Amen.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Sure would have been nice to be entering the NDSU game with some confidence and a tough road win, but this team just can't get over the hump.

Kai Williams 49 - 15 = 34 PTS AWAY

Garrett Callahan 113 - 16 = 97 PTS AWAY

Comment

who hits 1000 first?
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Why does it matter

Comment

nothing nefarious intended, Mrs. W. Just hoping someone who was better at math than yours truly would say "based on the current scoring average of each player, Kai should reach the milestone in __ games and Garret should get there in __ games." Just thought it would be an interesting tidbit to this thread...but was too lazy to research it myself.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                One more piece of thread drift to all you lawyers and journalist. What is more correct. Pled or Plead
                                For the past tense of plead, you can use pleaded or pled. I guess it really depends on how you feel at the moment. I don't think there is a more correct way, but some lawyers might have a preference or some judges might like it a particular way. Who knows? I don't.

And with that, I think its a great honor for both of these guys to get to that record. I know we all want to win more than anything, but reaching that milestone puts their names in the history book and hopefully we will look back in 20 years at our media guides and say "Remember those two guys? Helped get the program back on track during the dark years. I am sure glad we had them." That's what I hope anyway.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X