1,975 Disappointing Crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,975 Disappointing Crowd

What's up with such a small crowd for the first night of Summit Basketball? 1975????? The NDSU games had over 4,000?

Re: 1,975 Disappointing Crowd

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
    What's up with such a small crowd for the first night of Summit Basketball? 1975????? The NDSU games had over 4,000?

NDSU's men's team is PERCEIVED as a really good team. SDSU's Men's team is not PERCEIVED as a good team. Perception is reality for a lot of people.

The fact that only 1700 came to Frost to watch the Women, is what really worries me, considering they are probably a top 25 team in the nation, you would think more than 1700 would come out. Guess not...hopefully Saturday night's game will draw a nice crowd.

I'm competely taking off my yellow and blue glasses here when I say what I'm about to say...I'm competely confused as to what the people of Brookings/Eastern SD want for entertainment, and SDSU students for that matter. It's one of those things I don't think I'll ever understand.
    If SDSU can't get more than 1700 fans to Frost, for our women with the start of the year they've had, something deep inside of me smells touble.

Maybe it was just the opponent...I'll keep telling myself what myself wants to hear i guess when it comes to this issue.

Full disclosure: I didn't make the trip up to Brookings either and really didn't have a great reason...so I'm willing to take some of the blame also.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I was there, it was disappointing but not surprising. Should be better Saturday.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

dont you think it had a lot to do with playing centenary? i didnt go either last night. im going sat night.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          NDSU's men's team is PERCEIVED as a really good team. SDSU's Men's team is not PERCEIVED as a good team. Perception is reality for a lot of people.

The fact that only 1700 came to Frost to watch the Women, is what really worries me, considering they are probably a top 25 team in the nation, you would think more than 1700 would come out. Guess not...hopefully Saturday night's game will draw a nice crowd.

I'm competely taking off my yellow and blue glasses here when I say what I'm about to say...I'm competely confused as to what the people of Brookings/Eastern SD want for entertainment, and SDSU students for that matter. It's one of those things I don't think I'll ever understand.
          If SDSU can't get more than 1700 fans to Frost, for our women with the start of the year they've had, something deep inside of me smells touble.

Maybe it was just the opponent...I'll keep telling myself what myself wants to hear i guess when it comes to this issue.

Full disclosure: I didn't make the trip up to Brookings either and really didn't have a great reason...so I'm willing to take some of the blame also.

Go Jacks!!
          Propar80, I hear where you are coming from. I agree with your general confusion but there are issues that enter into it.

1. Centenary isn't a very solid women's program. Using your perception is reality theory, this game wasn't a big one. Yeah, it's a conference game but when you just got done with Wisconsin, Oregon, and Utah it just doesn't stack up.
          2. It did start at 5:00 on a weekday. Thursday no less which is the traditional night for businesses to be open late. Many are open every night during the holiday shopping season.
          3. The students are in a busy time right now with finals coming up. They haven't been to any athletic events in numbers they should be but that has been discussed to death. I'm up for giving them a little slack right before finals.

I fully expect a different attendance on Saturday. It's a weekend double-header and it's ORU which is solid in both programs. A solid student presence would be great.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
            dont you think it had a lot to do with playing centenary? i didnt go either last night. im going sat night.
            No doubt...I would also note that the game started at 5 p.m. for the women, and there are an awfully lot of fans that can't make a 5 p.m. game on a working day. Given that fact and the fact that everything said earlier is that this would be against the poorest team in the league, didn't help matters. Nevertheless, I'm in agreement that it was a poor crowd.

Comment

I think several things weigh into attendance.

Thursday night game already means less attendance, people with kids have kids activities they need to attend...especially around Christmas, with Christmas programs and what-not, kids sports practices.....ect. ect. Also, albeit the first conference game, I think people like myself said, hmmm Centenary..would be fun to go and cheer them on, BUT it's either Centenary or Oral Roberts....I'll wait for Oral Roberts.

I for one made pretty much every home game last year for men and women, but this year I am pick and choose on what games I'll make, as I've decided to cut back spending a little bit in lieu of spending that money on baby stuff, in addition to spend more of that time with my pregnant wife.

Can I afford to make every game? Probably, but being as my wife doesn't like basketball, I find it's a little unfair to the wife that I spend almost every monday, tuesday, thursday and saturday in Frost or in front of the computer/radio.

That being said, I will be in the stands saturday evening for the Oral Roberts double header with my father and brother. *edit*and, next year, with my baby Jackrabbit fan!
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Good posts SB and RR...there was some definite buildt-in disadvantages to the Thursday night double-header with Centenary that probably never gave this game a chance at being well attended. I guess I'll just resign myself to the fact that both teams got Wins!! I believe that is the last Thursday night double-header this year and hopefully ever.

I'll be up for the ORU games on Saturday and looking forward to a good time and a couple of Jackrabbit W's!!

RR...you sure we don't have the same wives?? Mine's pregnant, and doesn't really like basketball either and LOVES it when I'm listening to the Jacks on the radio and pretending like I'm listening to her when I'm really not!!

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

.....and LOVES it when I'm listening to the Jacks on the radio and pretending like I'm listening to her when I'm really not!!
                  That made me laugh out loud...."I'm sorry dear...what?"
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Good posts SB and RR...there was some definite buildt-in disadvantages to the Thursday night double-header with Centenary that probably never gave this game a chance at being well attended. I guess I'll just resign myself to the fact that both teams got Wins!! I believe that is the last Thursday night double-header this year and hopefully ever.

I'll be up for the ORU games on Saturday and looking forward to a good time and a couple of Jackrabbit W's!!

RR...you sure we don't have the same wives?? Mine's pregnant, and doesn't really like basketball either and LOVES it when I'm listening to the Jacks on the radio and pretending like I'm listening to her when I'm really not!!

Go Jacks!!
                    I miss very few games but when there are as many as there are now it is inevitable to have to miss a few. My wife loves the games so I don't have that issue.

On another thread someone suggested we make home football Saturdays "Game Day in Brookings" which could continue to grow attendance in that sport. Maybe something can be done to further that atmosphere in basketball. I think the marketing has been good but is there something that can be done to get a bigger buy-in from the community and surrounding area? I don't know.

Winning cures everything and that has been proven at SDSU by the ascent of our FB and WBB programs and by the struggles of the MBB. Back in the NCC days (no, I'm not longing for them to come back so let's not even go there) Friday/Saturday doubleheaders were big deals. Frost Arena was the place to be and it was full and raucous. That will return if we get the MBB on track. I can't wait!

See you Saturday night!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                      That made me laugh out loud...."I'm sorry dear...what?"
                      Reminds me of one of my favorite Dumb and Dumber quotes:

Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        Propar80, I hear where you are coming from. I agree with your general confusion but there are issues that enter into it.

1. Centenary isn't a very solid women's program. Using your perception is reality theory, this game wasn't a big one. Yeah, it's a conference game but when you just got done with Wisconsin, Oregon, and Utah it just doesn't stack up.
                        2. It did start at 5:00 on a weekday. Thursday no less which is the traditional night for businesses to be open late. Many are open every night during the holiday shopping season.
                        3. The students are in a busy time right now with finals coming up. They haven't been to any athletic events in numbers they should be but that has been discussed to death. I'm up for giving them a little slack right before finals.

I fully expect a different attendance on Saturday. It's a weekend double-header and it's ORU which is solid in both programs. A solid student presence would be great.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        Yeah, I had a couple papers due Friday so I wasn't able to go to that game. It's a pretty busy time right now, but I'll be at the games tonight. Hope to see a couple of good ones.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I think its fairly clear cut as as to why the guys' games get so little fans to attend. It is because Brookings vs Watertown freshman girls basketball game is more entertaining to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by astat32 View Post
                            I think its fairly clear cut as as to why the guys' games get so little fans to attend. It is because Brookings vs Watertown freshman girls basketball game is more entertaining to watch.
                            thats why there was more at the mens game then at the womens? that makes a lot of sense.....

Comment

Originally posted by astat32 View Post
                              Ahh, the ignorance you possess is astounding.

I will admit the men have been lousy, but they are starting to turn things around. I watched the Centenary game Thursday and was impressed by the improvement I saw. Last year it looked like this team couldn't have cared less and their play showed it. This year the effort is there and they are starting to play much much better.

It's OK to criticize, but you obviously have no clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X