1,975 Disappointing Crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1,975 Disappointing Crowd

I talked to many people who said they couldn't get there to see the women because of the early start, so why go and watch the men. I don't know if it's the tradition thing or not, but the women should be the marquee game. Let the men play first and the women second and then you'd have a crowd that stays for the whole game.

Comment

Originally posted by packer_tattoo View Post
      I talked to many people who said they couldn't get there to see the women because of the early start, so why go and watch the men. I don't know if it's the tradition thing or not, but the women should be the marquee game. Let the men play first and the women second and then you'd have a crowd that stays for the whole game.
      I agree, but i do not see that happinging.

Comment

Seems like 3071 for the ORU game was a bit of an improvement. The doublehitters bring them out. I heard a number of old folks like myself complain about the duration of two games, and how they had started to adjust to one game per evening. I really prefer the one game stands, but if two will bring them out, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by packer_tattoo View Post
          Actually what you will find is that the women's game is soo much slower than the men's that the women are boring to watch immediately after a men's game. That doesn't sound politically correct, but that has been my experience.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            Actually what you will find is that the women's game is soo much slower than the men's that the women are boring to watch immediately after a men's game. That doesn't sound politically correct, but that has been my experience.
            I recall one case where a high school played the boy's game first. Most of the fans left by halftime of the the girl's game.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              I don't think our women's team is ever "boring" to watch. They're relentless. They play very tough defense, and they push the ball on every single possession. They hit threes all the time. Plus, they win an awful lot, which is generally fun for fans to watch.

I have left at the halftime of men's games many times in the last couple of years. After watching the women's team's relentlessness and determination, it has been hard for me to watch the men's team that has, at times, lacked those qualities. And I have talked to many people who feel the same way I do.

I'm not there to see dunks or attitude or to be wowed by how high somebody jumps or how fast they run. I'm there to see sound basketball, effort, heart, perseverance and playmaking. The men are getting back to that, which is wonderful. But the women can be relied upon to show those qualities every time they take the court, and for 40 minutes at a time.

I don't think you're being politically incorrect, I just think you're wrong.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                I don't think our women's team is ever "boring" to watch. They're relentless. They play very tough defense, and they push the ball on every single possession. They hit threes all the time. Plus, they win an awful lot, which is generally fun for fans to watch.

I have left at the halftime of men's games many times in the last couple of years. After watching the women's team's relentlessness and determination, it has been hard for me to watch the men's team that has, at times, lacked those qualities. And I have talked to many people who feel the same way I do.

I'm not there to see dunks or attitude or to be wowed by how high somebody jumps or how fast they run. I'm there to see sound basketball, effort, heart, perseverance and playmaking. The men are getting back to that, which is wonderful. But the women can be relied upon to show those qualities every time they take the court, and for 40 minutes at a time.

I don't think you're being politically incorrect, I just think you're wrong.
                Our women are fun to watch. That doesn't mean every women's team is fun to watch, but having the women play 2nd actually might work at SDSU at this time. The only down side I see is if the women have their opponent down my 20-30 points at the half some people may be headed towards the exit.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Our women are fun to watch. That doesn't mean every women's team is fun to watch, but having the women play 2nd actually might work at SDSU at this time. The only down side I see is if the women have their opponent down my 20-30 points at the half some people may be headed towards the exit.
                  It's not going to happen. We are wasting our time discussing it.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    It's not going to happen. We are wasting our time discussing it.
                    This is a discussion board. We discuss lots of things that aren't going to happen.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

"Actually what you will find is that the women's game is soo much slower than the men's that the women are boring to watch immediately after a men's game. That doesn't sound politically correct, but that has been my experience."

Fans like watching wins...and if you think the SDSU Women are boring....stay home. That is really the most idiotic comment I have ever seen here...and I have contributed and seen some doosies. Look at the attendance at the Women's games and the attendance at the men's. As far as the guy who said that a HS team tried it and failed...hmmm...was Aaron Johnston coaching that team?

Comment

RR...you sure we don't have the same wives?? Mine's pregnant, and doesn't really like basketball either and LOVES it when I'm listening to the Jacks on the radio and pretending like I'm listening to her when I'm really not!!

I just tell mine I'm going to the basketball, football, games and then sit down at the computer, say bye to the family, put the headphones on and ignore them all unless a fight breaks out between the kids or I need another beer.

I was in South Dakota last week and would have loved to go up to Brookings for one of the days games but taking care of my dad prevented it.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          I recall one case where a high school played the boy's game first. Most of the fans left by halftime of the the girl's game.
                          I believe some schools do that around here every year(at their double headers). They play the JV boys, JV girls, V girls and then the V boys. The next home doubleheader goes JV girls, JV boys, V boys and V girls. The next one goes JV boys, JV girls, V girls and V boys. etc... I think it's almost better to have the JV boys, V boys and then V girls. Most people will stick around for most of the last game but that way they can see both of the boys games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Seems like 3071 for the ORU game was a bit of an improvement. The doublehitters bring them out. I heard a number of old folks like myself complain about the duration of two games, and how they had started to adjust to one game per evening. I really prefer the one game stands, but if two will bring them out, go for it.
                            I think part of what sucks, is the gap between games. The Women's game starts at 5PM but the Men's game isn't until 7:30PM. Thursday there was about a 40 minute(or so) break in between games. Saturday there must have been at least 50 minutes. It might have been more like an hour. I know that's great for the concession stand but other than that is sucks for everybody involved. I don't even think the players need more than 1/2 hour.
                            Wasn't it 1/2 hour when we were DII. That would be another thing that was better back then. Last year, our media timeouts were 2 minutes long. At other schools they were 1 1/2 minutes or so. Spending the extra 5+ minutes just doing nothing doesn't help either.

I think if I had to travel 2 hours to watch basketball, I'd rather see more than 1 1/2 hours of ball. Plus for some people, spending $15 to watch 2 games is better than spending $11 twice to watch 2 different games. There are many factors that are weighed different by different people.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              I think part of what sucks, is the gap between games. The Women's game starts at 5PM but the Men's game isn't until 7:30PM. Thursday there was about a 40 minute(or so) break in between games. Saturday there must have been at least 50 minutes. It might have been more like an hour. I know that's great for the concession stand but other than that is sucks for everybody involved. I don't even think the players need more than 1/2 hour.
                              Wasn't it 1/2 hour when we were DII. That would be another thing that was better back then. Last year, our media timeouts were 2 minutes long. At other schools they were 1 1/2 minutes or so. Spending the extra 5+ minutes just doing nothing doesn't help either.

I think if I had to travel 2 hours to watch basketball, I'd rather see more than 1 1/2 hours of ball. Plus for some people, spending $15 to watch 2 games is better than spending $11 twice to watch 2 different games. There are many factors that are weighed different by different people.
                              Saturday was a 50 minute break between games. Way too long of a time period between games.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                                Saturday was a 50 minute break between games. Way too long of a time period between games.
                                With the increased media covering our games and with most all of our opponents having radio outlets covering their games, the men's game has to be set at 7:30PM. Also, our women are blowing people out by 30 each game resulting in quicker game. If the women's game was tight with more timeouts and fouls at the end of the game, 7:30PM would be just right.

Comment

Working...
                                X