SDSU vs. Dakota State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs. Dakota State

Nagy said in the post game interview that this is a really young team and he expects them to struggle until after Christmas. I see this team struggling, somewhat like the football team struggled early in the year. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting the basketball team to turn their season aroung like the football team has, but the team will be much better at the end of the year than it will be at the begginning.

Also you have to remember that this year is really a stepping stone for next year. Next year we are going to be playing conference games and once those games start up after next Christmas we will have something to play for. We can go to the NIT this year and I'm sure that is Nagy's goal(as it should be), however, in a realistic world, this team will not represent us in the NIT this year.

The women's team did not make the WNIT last year and I think they are light years ahead of the this years men's team. The men's team has yet to turn the corner, but I think the corner is in sight.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy
      ... with 13 sholly's, shouldn't the Jacks be able to at least get 7-9 legit DI kids on the floor and thump a DII team,
      Wonder what the Gophers think about your theory?
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        [quote author=hoops_guy link=1162513950/60#73 date=1163100035]   Like I said, call me crazy, but I want a legitimate answer to that question from Jackrabbit apologists.

Ok,

You are crazy.   ;D  Next what do we need to apologize for, it was an Exhibition game and we won with only 9 players.  End of story. 

Top Web Results for "Exhibition game"

2 results for: Exhibition game
        View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source

exhibition game[ch8194]

an unofficial game played under regular game conditions, usually as a part of preseason training or as a fund-raising event.

WordNet - Cite This Source
        Exhibition game

n : a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season's standing [syn: practice game]

The games start to count tomorrow, time to let the exhibition season go, IMHO.

Go State!  

[/quote]

Ok, I am crazy... Oh, wait, it was an exhibition game for them too!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
          [quote author=hoops_guy link=1162513950/60#73 date=1163100035]... with 13 sholly's, shouldn't the Jacks be able to at least get 7-9 legit DI kids on the floor and thump a DII team,
          Wonder what the Gophers think about your theory?[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. They are a Big 10 team and their loss is inexcusable, exhibition or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            [quote author=hoops_guy link=1162513950/60#73 date=1163100035]   Like I said, call me crazy, but I want a legitimate answer to that question from Jackrabbit apologists.

Ok,

You are crazy.   ;D  Next what do we need to apologize for, it was an Exhibition game and we won with only 9 players.  End of story. 

exhibition game[ch8194]

an unofficial game played under regular game conditions, usually as a part of preseason training or as a fund-raising event.

Exhibition game

n : a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season's standing [syn: practice game]

Go State!  

[/quote]

10 pages on exhibition games, I bring up legitimate concerns and observations that aren't in line with praising SDSU no matter what, and now it is time to "let the exhibition season go".  Now I get it... loud and clear.

Comment

[quote author=89rabbit link=1162513950/60#74 date=1163100721][quote author=hoops_guy link=1162513950/60#73 date=1163100035]   Like I said, call me crazy, but I want a legitimate answer to that question from Jackrabbit apologists.

Ok,

exhibition game[ch8194]

Exhibition game

Go State!  

[/quote]

Ok, I am crazy... Oh, wait, it was an exhibition game for them too![/quote]

You are right, what is your point? Two teams played a parctice game to help them get ready for the regular seasons when the games count. I also have to ask, you said . . .

I will tell you before you start ripping me, I am not the biggest SDSU fan, if at all, but I have stated in the past I really liked watching SDSU's teams in the early 2000's. If it is wrong to ask this type of question, let me know.
              what did you like about the SDSU teams from the early 2000s? Was it the kind of team that Coach Nagy put on the floor? A team that played solid defense, hit the boards hard, ran when they could, and had a chance to win most every night? If so then be patient. Coach Nagy is building that kind of team again but it takes time as we transition from a D-II to D-I. Or did you like watching D-II basketball played at the highest level. If that is what you miss all you need to do is start to follow the University up in Aberdeen as Northern plays some really good D-II hoops. This shouldn't be too hard of a transition since you are "not the biggest SDSU fan, if at all".

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I want to you to go. However, things have changed and our days of being the Big Boys of D-II, while fun, are over. There is no sense in wishing that the old days will return. We have stepped up a level in competition and I for one am glad that we did. If you are not that is ok too, to each their own.

Go State!

Comment

...and now it is time to "let the exhibition season go".  Now I get it... loud and clear.
                Hello, the exhibition season is over. Get over it! Move on! We need to start talking about the regular season. The Jacks are 2-0. Who cares! Exhibition games don't count anyway.

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

10 pages on exhibition games, I bring up legitimate concerns and observations that aren't in line with praising SDSU no matter what, and now it is time to "let the exhibition season go".  Now I get it... loud and clear.

You are welcome to post as many questions as you would like on this subject.  I have not locked the thread.  I am just not sure beyond telling you that "it was an Exhibition game, we won, and we did it with only 9 players" that we have much to discuss.  We could get into a long discussion about how, of the 9 players who were available for the SW Minnesota exhibition game 6 were guards and talk about how the team as a whole has 8 freshmen on it.  But really what is the point, and haven't we covered that already in the 10 pages?  :-?

Bottom line the games that go into the record books start tomorrow and you want to rehash the first exhibition game of the season.  If so that is fine, but I can't help you beyond letting you know that it was an exhibition game, we won, and we did it with only 9 players.

Go State!  

Comment

One takeaway to consider is that a ten-page thread on an exhibition game represents significant overall interest in Jackrabbit basketball.

If this team does start to win a few games and pull a few upsets, you'll see that interest grow and grow. If not . . . well . . . we've lived through two years of that already, and those who are still here, are still here.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I can't remember who said it, but it was pointed out earlier in this thread that the Jacks are extremely young this year. Unfortunately, youth brings huge swings in performance. The earlier thread I am referencing stated they felt this year's Jacks would win some games they maybe shouldn't win, but will also lose some games they shouldn't lose. You just have to deal with that when over half the season will consist of guys still trying to find their role in the team.

Unlike football or baseball where the game is a series of individual battles inside an overall team game, basketball relies more heavily on cohesiveness. These young players are asked to learn a completely new set of offensive and defensive plays as well as try to figure out where they fit in in the grand scheme of the team. A guy who used to score 20 a game in high school may now be asked to be a defensive stopper and rebounder. A guy who gets 10 tackles a game in football is going to be asked to get 10 tackles a game in college. I don't mean this to insinuate basketball players have it harder than football players, or whatever, but it is a different transition.

Our team is going to spend most of the season in transition. We are going to be up and down. There will be games where Jacks fans finally say "this is the team I've been waiting for" but also some games where we say "what the hell is going on with these guys." I know it's the party line to be patient, but we're trying to make our hay in the world of D1 basketball. Be patient.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Will SDSU ever get tired of making the "missing guys" excuse?  Maybe I am crazy, but with 13 sholly's, shouldn't the Jacks be able to at least get 7-9 legit DI kids on the floor and thump a DII team, even if they are red-shirting a couple of the 13 and 2-4 others are injured.  Like I said, call me crazy, but I want a legitimate answer to that question from Jackrabbit apologists.

I will tell you before you start ripping me, I am not the biggest SDSU fan, if at all, but I have stated in the past I really liked watching SDSU's teams in the early 2000's.  If it is wrong to ask this type of question, let me know.
                        I'll stop short of calling you crazy and just say that things haven't gone as expected. If you ask Nagy he'll tell you that flat out. JC transfers have been busts, some great prospects have left the team, and some signings are not as high a caliber athletes as we thought we would get. End result, this team is struggling and struggling in a big way. That said, patience remains the only option in my mind. Brandon leaving the team should free up another scholarship to offer an athlete who now has the option to compete for a conference title and soon enough an autobid or invite to the big dance.

Lets not forget just how successful this program was at the DII level, year in and year out. With time that consistency and greatness can return. It doens't look that way right now but with time things change, for the better, I am hoping.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                        X