• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bassett

What did he post that isn't the truth?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
      Now if only Wipf, Cassaday, DeBoer, and Engen all left as well the school would save a lot of money by not wasting scholarships on these deadweights who never play. Let's face it none of these guys should be hear anyway. And i don't buy into all the hype on Casey for next year either. This team needs a dramatic change if they want to be any good. I just hope they can somhow muster up the strength to not finish last in the conference again next year so they can at least get in the tourny in Sioux Falls.
      Wipf and DeBoer are walk-ons, Cassaday looked good until he got hurt and I thought Engen played pretty well in key situations when needed to last year..... I will agree that I think Casey is a 5-8 min. per game player at best.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        Wipf and DeBoer are walk-ons, Cassaday looked good until he got hurt and I thought Engen played pretty well in key situations when needed to last year..... I will agree that I think Casey is a 5-8 min. per game player at best.....
        My favorite moment is when he shot a couple of three point airballs in a game where the Jacks was held scoreless for the first 10 mins. He made the first one and you couldn't stop him from there. Eat some meat and stick to the post.

If Wipf and DeBoer are off the team, that's less fuel in the plane, less food the school has to play for, and one less hotel room on road trips.

Comment

Now if only Wipf, Cassaday, DeBoer, and Engen all left as well the school would save a lot of money by not wasting scholarships on these deadweights who never play. Let's face it none of these guys should be hear anyway. And i don't buy into all the hype on Casey for next year either. This team needs a dramatic change if they want to be any good. I just hope they can somhow muster up the strength to not finish last in the conference again next year so they can at least get in the tourny in Sioux Falls.
          I do not think that they should be cast off as dead weight. They were recruited and were offered spots on this team. We have to live them...through the good and the bad. But you are correct. Those players you listed are not D1 caliber. They wouldn't have even seen the floor when we were DII. We can only hope that the recruiting gets better, and by that I mean talented, hard nosed kids who are also decent students and who know how to stay out of trouble.

Comment

Why is it always the student/athletes fault when they transfer? There have been to many for it to be a coincedence. The proble in obvious and requires a change IMHO.

Comment

Then i wish Wipf and DeBoer would walk away and Cassaday looked great falling on his butt in the dunk contest at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                Why is it always the student/athletes fault when they transfer? There have been to many for it to be a coincedence. The proble in obvious and requires a change IMHO.
                It may not always be their fault, by why come to a school and leave after two years. The little production that he did have his freshman year dropped off the map. How are you recruited to SDSU and not have enough talent to break into the lineup of a 20 loss team two years in a row?

Comment

Then i wish Wipf and DeBoer would walk away and Cassaday looked great falling on his butt in the dunk contest at the beginning of the season.
                  Ok what is wrong with a few walk-ons? they help out with practice and with team GPA (sometimes) And I don't know what you have against Cassaday, I thought he looked like the best freshman early in the year before he got hurt, he played defense and allowed Kai to get breathers without that 3/4 position becoming completely useless which it did as soon as he got hurt when Kai was on the bench....

Comment

Ok what is wrong with a few walk-ons? they help out with practice and with team GPA (sometimes) And I don't know what you have against Cassaday, I thought he looked like the best freshman early in the year before he got hurt, he played defense and allowed Kai to get breathers without that 3/4 position becoming completely useless which it did as soon as he got hurt when Kai was on the bench....
                    Cassaday only played in 3 games for a total of 25 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      Cassaday only played in 3 games for a total of 25 minutes.
                      Yeah, because he was injured and able to get a red-shirt...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Yeah, because he was injured and able to get a red-shirt...
                        That correct. I'm not sure how joeboo22 could determine how good he was in that limited time he got to play.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                          That correct. I'm not sure how joeboo22 could determine how good he was in that limited time he got to play.

I'm not sure we can make any determination on how good or bad Cassiday will be. Give him some time.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                            I'm not sure we can make any determination on how good or bad Cassiday will be. Give him some time.
                            Thats what i said

Comment

Right on. We need walk ons. Wipf I believe is also a track athlete or was one before he transferred to SDSU.
                              quote from Media guide

2005-06: Ran track at SDSU after transferring from
                              the University of Sioux Falls (S.D)

These guys are practice players mostly and dont get a nickle for their efforts in terms of scholarship money. If you asked them, they would probably tell you that they were honored with the walk on status.

Until we get a full slate of boni fide scholarship players we need these walk ons. Not a good idea to call them worthless and run them off.

As far as Cassaday, lets give him a chance. The injury prevented him from doing that. Casey in my opinion is for real and he is a tough competitor. I think we might have won Centenary in Brookings had he been playing. He would have broken those traps and presses that they threw at us.

Comment

Originally posted by tlk23 View Post
                                My favorite moment is when he shot a couple of three point airballs in a game where the Jacks was held scoreless for the first 10 mins. He made the first one and you couldn't stop him from there. Eat some meat and stick to the post.

If Wipf and DeBoer are off the team, that's less fuel in the plane, less food the school has to play for, and one less hotel room on road trips.
                                "...couldn't stop him..."? He was 2 for 5 from 3 point land(all season). That's not enough shots to judge him. I do remember that game, I was wondering why some of the students were chanting for him to keep launching up 3's. They must know him. In his defense, you don't go scoreless for 10 minutes with your center just throwing up 4 shots(about). Other players were struggling in that game, too.
                                You can't judge Cassaday. He played a total of 25 minutes. Cordova played well this year and I look at Cassaday as a redshirt, too. In his brief minutes, he averaged as many points and rebounds as Moss. It's tough to say somebody's no good when they were injured about all year.
                                I don't know how long you have followed the team but just a couple years ago we needed football players to practice/play. These players are walking on and helping the team. Will they ever see the floor? Maybe/Maybe not! I think they know where they stand with the team and they are fine with that.
                                Casey will get his shot this year. If he doesn't play well, we have all our guards back from last year. According to Nagy, he was our best guard last year. He must be able to play well enough to help in practice if not in the games. He is another walk on. We don't lose by having basketball players helping the team that aren't taking scholarships.
                                Engen was a project. He's a junior so we should see this year. He played more at the end of the year last year. Was he playing better/was it because Bassett had his minutes cut back? He won't start but can he give us about 10-15 quality minutes a game?
                                Players have reasons for what they do. They leave for many reasons.
                                Some leave to go home, want a different environment, they want to be a star or don't get along with the coach. I think we might have covered all these reason in the past few years.
                                Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X