Bassett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bassett

Did you know: Mark added more than 20 pounds of muscle in the off-season and worked hard on his conditioning, both of which should pay off with better numbers and increased minutes in 2007-08.

Could anyone tell, Absolutely not. His hard off season training paid off by a drop in games played from 22 to 17, ppg from 2.0 to 1.9, rpg from 1.5 to 1.2. Why are we wasting scholorship money on this guy again?

How is Engen a project. Did you come from some foreign nation and didn't play the game until he was 18. Come on. Give me players that are good, not "projects".

averaged 22.7 points and 14 rebounds per game as a senior at Red Rock Central High School ... shot 57 percent from the field in his high school career ... blocked 165 shots his senior year with the Falcons, giving him 439 blocks for his career ... earned all-conference honors following his sophomore, junior and senior seasons ... named Associated Press All-State honorable mention following his junior season and AP Second-Team following his senior season.

Doesn't seem like a project to me. Just a player that will never be any good. He's 3-9 from three all-time. The students cheer for him because it is rediculous to see a nearly 7-foot white country boy jacking up shots from distance.

Casey is so good that he has yet to average over 4 ppg. Oh savior, come help us be the Gents.

Comment

Originally posted by tlk23 View Post
      What did he post that isn't the truth?
      What he (Jack B. Nimble) posted was that DeBoer and Wipf were scholarship players... which were not the truth, showing, I believe, JNB's unfamiliarity with the basketball program and how it works. It's fine to open your mouth and give out your opinions, but at least get familiar enough with how things work to make us believe your posts are worth reading. It would also help IMHO if JBN would use the proper word (here, not hear...there is a difference) and spell (tourney, not tourny).

Moderators: I am humbly suggesting the latter criticisms as constructive comments to assist this new poster in becoming a valued member of the SDSUFans community.

Comment

Besides spelling errors and the walk-ons, would anyone like to explain to me what is so outrageous about his post. It seems pretty straight on to me.

Comment

Opinions about the talent level, abilities, past performances, expectations, etc... for our players are reasonable to discuss in a civil manner. I'm not sure this forum is the right place to call out players or coaches. It just stirs the pot and leads to emotional outbursts that don't help the current direction of the program.

Bassett is leaving. Everyone else, as far as we know, is coming back. I suggest we focus more on supporting the current players and coaches and less on voicing opinions largely based on emotion. JBN and others makes some interesting points, all issues I suspect we each think about/worry about as fans. I don't think we should take it any further than that.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Opinions about the talent level, abilities, past performances, expectations, etc... for our players are reasonable to discuss in a civil manner. I'm not sure this forum is the right place to call out players or coaches. It just stirs the pot and leads to emotional outbursts that don't help the current direction of the program.

Bassett is leaving. Everyone else, as far as we know, is coming back. I suggest we focus more and supporting the current players and coaches and less on voicing opinions largely based on emotion. JBN and others makes some interesting points, all issue I suggest we each think about/worry about as fans. I don't think we should take it any further than that.
            How are clear cut stats of 2 ppg an opinion? Engen, Casey, Wipf, DeBoer=not good players. If they were any good, don't you think that they could get some more playing time on a 20 loss team? Don't really think that is debatable.

Comment

Besides spelling errors and the walk-ons, would anyone like to explain to me what is so outrageous about his post. It seems pretty straight on to me.
              Unless you've participated in an actual basketball practice, it may seem odd that college basketball teams have players on the squad taking up scholarship money without seeing much actual game time. Remember, there are only 5 spots on the floor. Even a rotation of 8 players leaves some players who aren't going to play. Their value is not during the game, but during practice. Someone needs to guard the guys who play the games. Coach Nagy and the GA's aren't going to provide much by way of competition during practices. In every program there are going to be scholarship players who turned out to be duds or guys who end up just being good enough to be practice and garbage players (those would generally be the tall white guys at the end of the bench at programs like UNC, Florida, etc.) You can't just cut them for a variety of reasons.

Ask Coach Stig why he doesn't just cut all of the guys from the football team who aren't playing? It's a larger scale than basketball but the same concept. Hell, Eric Piatkowski was on the Phoenix Suns' squad this year in the NBA. He hasn't been a productive player in the NBA for years, yet he's collecting an NBA paycheck (at the veteran's minimum, no less) and sitting at the end of the bench during their playoff appearances. Why did they even bother to have him on the team? It sure wasn't for his game play or stats. I'd go into the concept more, but considering JBN's post and your follow-ups, it may fall on deaf ears.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

it would be nice to go 10 or 12 deep with players that could spend significant time on the court.

It would be nice to be Kansas.

It never fails to astound me how people continually think that the solution to the men's basketball program's problems is to keep running off students.

Maybe you can argue that our recruiting hasn't been up to a minimal D-I standard. I might even agree with that.

But some of you need to understand that if a program keeps losing/running off players, eventually the NCAA will start taking scholarships away. Once you recruit a kid, you're basically stuck with him for his period of eligibility, unless you want to lose ground in the NCAA's academic completion rate formula.

Getting back to the topic of this thread--my observation is that Bassett was basically an undisciplined basketball player, trying to play for a coach who demands discipline.

Again, maybe you could say Nagy never should have signed Bassett in the first place. But in his two years playing for SDSU, Thomas Bassett did not make progress, unlike, say, Anthony Cordova.

Recruiting, coaching, and player skill/attitude all had a role here in Bassett's departure, I think. I personally believe he will be much happier, and quite possibly much more successful, in another program. It was quite painful at times watching him on the bench. You could see he wanted to play, but you could also see that he wasn't going anywhere near the court unless we had serious foul trouble.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

How are clear cut stats of 2 ppg an opinion? Engen, Casey, Wipf, DeBoer=not good players. If they were any good, don't you think that they could get some more playing time on a 20 loss team? Don't really think that is debatable.
                  Not the point.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    it would be nice to go 10 or 12 deep with players that could spend significant time on the court.

It would be nice to be Kansas.
                    It would be nice to be the SDSU women's team.

Comment

Of course the first and most glaring difference between Men's and Women's NCAA D-I basketball is the number of scholarships.

The men's game is limited to 13 scholarships, while the women are allowed 15. This creates the need for walk-on players for men’s programs.

It is the basic lack of understanding or the unwillingness to accept this reality by some that makes it difficult for me to put much stock in this thread.

Go State!

Comment

That really has no difference, 13 to 15. Take away the bottom two scholorship players on the women's side and they still trump the men. The women's side just does a better job of scouting and getting players that are good. Name the last big men's recruit in the region to come up to Brookings. Recent ones have gone down south and even to D-II schools.

Comment

That really has no difference, 13 to 15. Take away the bottom two scholorship players on the women's side and they still trump the men. The women's side just does a better job of scouting and getting players that are good. Name the last big men's recruit in the region to come up to Brookings. Recent ones have gone down south and even to D-II schools.

Go ahead, name the ones that didn't come to SDSU??

If you think that recruiting men as a transitioning D-1 university is just as easy and recruiting women, I'd have to say you're WRONG my fair-weather friend.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                            Go ahead, name the ones that didn't come to SDSU??

Go Jacks!!

The Great Louie for one.

Also the highest scorer in MN choose to go to Augie

Comment

If you're going to try to compare men and womens college basketball, you are gonna continue to look silly in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
                                The Great Louie for one.

Also the highest scorer in MN choose to go to Augie

Yes, Louie is "big-time". I completely forgot.
                                A mind is a terrible thing to waste...GET TO CLASS.

Go Jacks!!
                                Last edited by propar80; 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM.
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X