Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassett

In the Argus:
    His playing time cut drastically from his freshman to sophomore year, forward Thomas Bassett is leaving the SDSU men's basketball team.
    . . .

Nagy said that the spot could be filled this summer, but it could also be held open for a year because the 2009 recruiting class in this region is considered to be strong.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Bassett

I have mixed feelings about Thomas's departure. He did at times show some talent. I think of the road games in California during the holidays. He made a number of defensive stops. Plus other times he helped out offensively when needed.

At the same time, if he as individual is not happy, I feel he is doing the right thing in moving on. The letter of intent is probably no more enforceable as a contract than say a employer-employee contract at Bravos. People have the right to leave with a reasonable notice and that Coach Nagy received.

I dont consider this departure in a negative light, but maybe a growth step in the program. Coach Nagy needs to put his best on the floor and I think he as done that despite the 8 win season. With a so many inexperienced people we probably are where we can expect to be.

If Mr. Bassett had given his 100 percent consistently, we would still have him on the roster as a building block of upperclass leadership. For what ever reasons this did not work out in this fashion. I don't have a clue about what all is going on in his life and really don't want to know now. Its a private matter.

Good luck to Mr. Bassett.

Comment

This was a major discussion in one of my classes yesterday. Why do we still have guys leaving the men's program? Is it the same at NDSU, USD? When there is a morale problem every year, how does one fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
        This was a major discussion in one of my classes yesterday. Why do we still have guys leaving the men's program? Is it the same at NDSU, USD? When there is a morale problem every year, how does one fix it?
        Yes NDSU has lost a few too. One to injuries and another transferred to SD Tech. USD has had transfers to DWU and other places so it does happen at other institutions. We have a litnany of people at SDSU who could not accept the challenge of being part of a building program in transition to D1. This subject has been thoroughly discussed I personally do not loose sleep over one athlete leaving a given program. Name the sporst at SDSU and people who were recruited are not all present 3 or 4 years later. Some leave for a host of reasons.

There is nothing worse than having some one hang on who is unhappy and drawing scholarship money just to meet their economic needs. I consider the full scholarship student athletes as special people and they should be talented and highly motivated. They generally dont have to wait tables at Bravo's to get their education if they have a full ride.

If for reasons of motivation, these people can not live up to their obligations and commitments, then people like my self who contribute to a perpetual scholarship funds are being short changed. I doubt this is more the exception than the rule. In other words we have had some very motivated and tough people who have learned how to compete and learned about time management and really are prepared for the work place as individuals. I also feel that we have a very thorough scholarship committee that screens out those who might not be deserving.

At this point in time, losing one player is in my opinion not a major concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I have mixed feelings about Thomas's departure. He did at times show some talent. I think of the road games in California during the holidays. He made a number of defensive stops. Plus other times he helped out offensively when needed.

At the same time, if he as individual is not happy, I feel he is doing the right thing in moving on. The letter of intent is probably no more enforceable as a contract than say a employer-employee contract at Bravos. People have the right to leave with a reasonable notice and that Coach Nagy received.

I dont consider this departure in a negative light, but maybe a growth step in the program. Coach Nagy needs to put his best on the floor and I think he as done that despite the 8 win season. With a so many inexperienced people we probably are where we can expect to be.

If Mr. Bassett had given his 100 percent consistently, we would still have him on the roster as a building block of upperclass leadership. For what ever reasons this did not work out in this fashion. I don't have a clue about what all is going on in his life and really don't want to know now. Its a private matter.

Good luck to Mr. Bassett.
          Did you take from the article that Bassett wanted to leave?

Comment

Let's not read more into this than there is. The Jacks coaches didn't feel having Bassett on the floor gave them the best chance to win and so he sat and become frustrated and now is leaving. This scenario happens all the time at every university no matter what division and is totally unrelated to some of the other departures the last few years. The problem with Bassett is he was a tweener at 6'5. Not big enough to have an impact on the offensive or defensive end under the basket and not quick or athletic enough to play the perimiter. He needs to go to a lower level where at 6'5 he can play a strong forward or center position.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Let's not read more into this than there is. The Jacks coaches didn't feel having Bassett on the floor gave them the best chance to win and so he sat and become frustrated and now is leaving. This scenario happens all the time at every university no matter what division and is totally unrelated to some of the other departures the last few years. The problem with Bassett is he was a tweener at 6'5. Not big enough to have an impact on the offensive or defensive end under the basket and not quick or athletic enough to play the perimiter. He needs to go to a lower level where at 6'5 he can play a strong forward or center position.
              Good post JGII. You are absolutely correct. There may have been a few underlying problems as well, but the main thing is that since both the player and the coaching staff had some differences and it became quite clear at the end of the year that Bassett was not going to see a lot of playing time, everybody is better off now. I agree with Nidaros...good luck to Thomas...I'm sure he can find a level and school where he can play and be happy.

Comment

I agree, while it getting a little old with players leaving, I like the fact that we have another scholarship offering now, personally I have no problem with Bassett leaving. From midnight minus two his freshman year until his last game as a sophomore I thought Bassett was never playing 100%. He would slowly jog up the floor, had absolutely no vertical for a Division 1 player and never got aggressive. I'm glad we have another scholly open maybe we can get a JUCO or like Terry said a new freshman out of the 2009 class.

Comment

what I saw in Bassett was a high school post player who felt like he couldn't play down there in college so he tried to bring his game to the outside and it never developed. He was consistantly late and had problems with foul trouble because of it, I'm not sure if the blame goes on Bassett or the coaching staff I wasn't at the practices so I don't know if the coaches were trying to change his game or if he felt like he had to though the coaches didn't want to.... Overall I wish Thomas the best but I do think that it is best that he left because he wasn't in the teams plans ...

Comment

People have to remember that he was suspended for a couple of games his senior year of high school because of personal issues. I don't think he was ever going to be a player that would make this team better. As previously mentioned, he was undersized for a big man and not quick enough to produce at the DI level. I think he could be a good DII player and do wish him the best of luck.

Comment

If you have a lot of time to kill, go to pages 17 - 21 of this thread and look back at some of the comments and possible rosters from a couple of years ago. It is amazing the number of players that are no longer with the program due to a number of reasons.

I think that is one of the reasons we had to recruit a player like Thomas. Did anyone really think that a 6'5" power forward from a small town in Iowa was going to provide any real impact? (Actually, some people did) But we needed bodies, and I thought Thomas did the best he could in the situation he was in. I wish him well, and really hope he can go find a program and school where he can enjoy the game again. I do not think he has had much fun on the court.

Comment

EVERY D1 program has players transitioning in and out. It's just a fact of life in college basketball.

Some day the Jackrabbits will have an outstanding player who leaves after one year -- because he is joining the NBA as a 20-year old.

Comment

I think this is the best for everybody involved. Thomas can move on and play where he's a factor and SDSU has an open scholarship. It doesn't hurt having a scholarship open. Full is ideal but you never know who might fall into your lap.
                          Bassett might be a solid DII player but just not quite DI material. He is short to play down low and not quick/athletic enough to play outside.
                          His freshman year he played about 15 minutes a game. In those 15 minutes he would average 2.5 fouls and 2 TO's.
                          His So. year he only averaged 8 minutes a game. He still averaged 2 fouls and 1.4 TO's/game. It's tough getting into the flow of the game when you would foul out in the 1st half. He was around 2 in several categories(fouls, points, rebounds and TO's). He just didn't/couldn't get into the flow of the game.
                          I hope he gets somewhere and enjoys the rest of his career. I know players leave but you never like seeing it happen

Comment

Now if only Wipf, Cassaday, DeBoer, and Engen all left as well the school would save a lot of money by not wasting scholarships on these deadweights who never play. Let's face it none of these guys should be hear anyway. And i don't buy into all the hype on Casey for next year either. This team needs a dramatic change if they want to be any good. I just hope they can somhow muster up the strength to not finish last in the conference again next year so they can at least get in the tourny in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
                              Now if only Wipf, Cassaday, DeBoer, and Engen all left as well the school would save a lot of money by not wasting scholarships on these deadweights who never play. Let's face it none of these guys should be hear anyway. And i don't buy into all the hype on Casey for next year either. This team needs a dramatic change if they want to be any good. I just hope they can somhow muster up the strength to not finish last in the conference again next year so they can at least get in the tourny in Sioux Falls.
                              Wow. Ok, I'll take the bait. I really hope you're being sarcastic, because if your not this is the most incredible post I've ever read on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X