• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nidaros
    replied
    Re: 2009-10 Recruits

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    I talked with "Big Ed" last year about it, and he says that it was totally Tony's decision to sign with SDSU. Granted Ed's a big SDSU booster, but he also says that Tony is his own person and has wanted to play for SDSU seemingly forever.
    Thanks for sharing. Its good that Tony is an independant thinker. It shows maturity that we need for our bb team.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabit1
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I am doubtful that Feigan's father played for SDSU, though he does have a post player body maybe 6'6 or better. I do know Feigan's father has been a very avid supporter of SDSU and has served on the SDSU Alumni Council and I believe is a past president. So did the father's role have an influence, I suspect it did. Otherwise I agree totally with your post.
    I talked with "Big Ed" last year about it, and he says that it was totally Tony's decision to sign with SDSU. Granted Ed's a big SDSU booster, but he also says that Tony is his own person and has wanted to play for SDSU seemingly forever.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    The only person that can answer this question is them. I'm sure their coaches and family helped with their decision.
    What's the big difference between a high or low mid-major? I don't think it's that big. It could be a game or 2 on ESPN but there is more to life than that.
    They could have chose SDSU because it's close to home. They might have always wanted to play for their home school. I think I heard that Feigen's dad played at SDSU. That could have factored into it. It sounds like their AAU coach thinks playing for SDSU isn't all that bad. They might trust his opinion. How about having the Summit League Tourney in Sioux Falls? There is a chance that SDSU could win their conference and make the big dance. Some high mid-majors might not be able to say that. Maybe they think they'll get more playing time at SDSU. How about the idea of thinking you can be the missing piece in SDSU turning it around? Some people just like the coach(es). They could just like coach Nagy.
    There are other things that could have factored into it but I don't really care. I like to see good players chose to come to SDSU(I think they fit into that category). It doesn't hurt that I can watch them play High School basketball either. I'm not saying anything bad about the players that don't play HS around here. They come here and play for 4/5 years. It doesn't take long to get to know and appreciate them either.
    The Hoffmen sisters went from DI to DII. They just wanted to get closer to home and play. I'm not saying they were great at DI but some players make their choices for different reasons.
    I am doubtful that Feigan's father played for SDSU, though he does have a post player body maybe 6'6 or better. I do know Feigan's father has been a very avid supporter of SDSU and has served on the SDSU Alumni Council and I believe is a past president. So did the father's role have an influence, I suspect it did. Otherwise I agree totally with your post.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
    "Cadsev has stated previously that Feigen and White were projected as high mid-majors when they were Sophmores and therefore Nagy offered them."

Why did they choose SDSU if they were projected as high mid-majors? That means we are high mid-major!

Go Blue!!
    The only person that can answer this question is them. I'm sure their coaches and family helped with their decision.
    What's the big difference between a high or low mid-major? I don't think it's that big. It could be a game or 2 on ESPN but there is more to life than that.
    They could have chose SDSU because it's close to home. They might have always wanted to play for their home school. I think I heard that Feigen's dad played at SDSU. That could have factored into it. It sounds like their AAU coach thinks playing for SDSU isn't all that bad. They might trust his opinion. How about having the Summit League Tourney in Sioux Falls? There is a chance that SDSU could win their conference and make the big dance. Some high mid-majors might not be able to say that. Maybe they think they'll get more playing time at SDSU. How about the idea of thinking you can be the missing piece in SDSU turning it around? Some people just like the coach(es). They could just like coach Nagy.
    There are other things that could have factored into it but I don't really care. I like to see good players chose to come to SDSU(I think they fit into that category). It doesn't hurt that I can watch them play High School basketball either. I'm not saying anything bad about the players that don't play HS around here. They come here and play for 4/5 years. It doesn't take long to get to know and appreciate them either.
    The Hoffmen sisters went from DI to DII. They just wanted to get closer to home and play. I'm not saying they were great at DI but some players make their choices for different reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
    "Cadsev has stated previously that Feigen and White were projected as high mid-majors when they were Sophmores and therefore Nagy offered them."

Why did they choose SDSU if they were projected as high mid-majors? That means we are high mid-major!

Go Blue!!
    I think the this thread is getting a little silly because I don’t think any of us has had a inside view of what when on in the conversations between, Coach Nagy and staff, the parents of White and Fiegen and the student athletes themselves.

Perhaps White and Feigan are concerned about life after basketball and what kind of education they wanted to receive etc and do not care about how many times they will appear on ESPN.

My point is that the fact any athlete has signed with SDSU most likely has nothing to do with high mid majors or low mid majors. These people made an early choice, and a personal choice. Why can’t we let it go at that?

When we try to categorize recruiting choices and apply analytical methods we get in trouble. It’s all about personal decisions which none of us on this board control, unless they are a parent of one of the student athletes and even then the control might slip away.

I still believe that I have the easy part of as a fan. I buy my tickets; I watch the games and go home to my real life. If a coach has problems winning a game(s) his whole life style is in jeopardy. Now to me that’s a big difference and enough of difference to not second quess recruiting choices made by athletes or coaches.

BTW, Fiegen, White and Hortzman have all given SDSU verbal commitments; they could all change their minds before the official signing day. That’s a risk SDSU has taken.

Leave a comment:

• Just in the crowd
    replied

Go Blue!!

Leave a comment:

• NorCalJack
    replied

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
    My point is this...it has to be much harder to project a high school sophomore or junior as a future mid major player than it would be to to see a more obvious talent that could play at a major school.
    I believe that Nagy is not extending offers to Sophmore and Juniors that are boarderline mid-major players. It is too difficult to project someone that may or may not be a mid-major player. The players that he is offering as Sophmores are players that have higher ceilings and therefore are safer picks. Cadsev has stated previously that Feigen and White were projected as high mid-majors when they were Sophmores and therefore Nagy offered them.

Take Cody Larsen as an example, I know SDSU has offered, but he is holding out for a Major D-1 offer and I heard he already has some but is still waiting. In this case it can't hurt to offer someone of his talent at this stage in the game. Anything can happen, he may verbal to one school, only to have that head coach move on before he gets there. In these cases I have seen players change there minds. He may also want to play close to home so his family and friends can see him play on regular basis.

Hortzman just gave his verbal commitment to SDSU and I'm sure that he also has a high ceiling. Heck Nagy was recruiting Rader since he was about 6 months old. Colorado State showed some interest in him, but he was commited to SDSU.

Leave a comment:

• JamesJacks
    replied

There are different philosophies in recruiting. Many times the mid-major schools have to go the same route SDSU does as they offer out a scholarship to a select group of players, and then whichever player takes it first, gets it. The mid-majors can't afford to recruit a limited number of potential athletes. They have to see so many more players throughout the recruiting process than the majors do. This means the coaches of the mid-majors not only have to see who could "potentially" fit into what their system is, but they have to also work very hard to develop those players once they get them enrolled on campus. My point is this...it has to be much harder to project a high school sophomore or junior as a future mid major player than it would be to to see a more obvious talent that could play at a major school.

Leave a comment:

• NorCalJack
    replied

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
    If there are three offers out there for one spot, what are the chances we get one of the three? Hopefully it'll be soon. It seems kids are starting to commit earlier and earlier these days.
    Well at this stage of the game, those players that will be seniors this year usually wait to make commitments until after the big tourneys are over. D-1 coaches can't watch AAU games until after July 1st. I know the Schoolers play local tourneys prior to July 1st in preparation for showcasing their best recruits in big tourney's in July.

Take Colton Iverson from last year as an example. Cadsev was making claims that Colton would garner major D-1 offers later in the year if everything went according to plan. Colton had a few Mid-Major offers prior to July, but after the Heat (Colton's AAU team) competed in some major tourneys in July, a few Major D-1 programs started making offers to him. At that point he picked the U of M.

The three recruits that SDSU is looking at are basically trying the same, only on a Mid-Major scale. They are all trying to keep all options open at this time and after the big tourney's are played out in July, they will see if they can get offers from high Mid-Major teams. I doubt any of the three will get scholarship offers from Major D-1 programs other than walk-on opprotunities.

There are risks associated with waiting however. I know Griffin Callahan had one D-1 offer and that was from SDSU. He waited for another offer and then Cordova accetped his offer to SDSU and that left Griffin in the cold. He then had to accept an offer from UND. Same thing happened to Louie Krogman. SDSU had an offer to Louie for a while but then pulled it and Louie did not get any other D-1 offers and had to settle for USD.

For Mike Felt, I believe he has offers from SDSU, NDSU, UND and USD. SDSU only has one scholarship to give out and has three offers out there and the first to accept the offer will get the scholarship. NDSU has two more scholarships to hand out and I don't know how many recruits they are looking at.

Nate Wolters is in the same boat as Mike Felt, in that he has offers from SDSU, NDSU, UND and USD.

I have read a few press clippings in which the recruits usually state that they want to make a decision before they start school this year. Usually these late recruits start making commitments in August and once those dominoes start falling they have fewer and fewer options which forces recruits to make choices. Hopefully one of them accepts the SDSU offer.

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!

Leave a comment:

• JamesJacks
    replied

If there are three offers out there for one spot, what are the chances we get one of the three? Hopefully it'll be soon. It seems kids are starting to commit earlier and earlier these days.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Here is Minnesota Preps Pre-Summer Rankings which has the 3 players who the Jacks have offered listed:

Rank Name HT POS Location/School School
    1 Royce White 6'7 SF Hopkins Minnesota
    2 Rodney Williams 6'5 SG Cooper
    3 Mike Bruesewitz 6'7 SF Henry Sibley Wisconsin
    4 Raymond Cowels 6'3 SG Hopkins
    5 Trent Lockett 6'5 SF Hopkins Arizona State
    6 Sam Dower 6'9 PF Osseo
    7 Marc Sonnen 6'3 PG Tartan Northern Iowa
    8 Mike Broghammer PF Hopkins
    9 Ethan Wragge 6'7 SG Eden Prairie
    10 Jordair Jett 6'1 PG St. Bernards
    11 Chris Halvorsen 6'7 SF Henry SIbley
    12 Nate Wolters 6'3 PG/SG St. Cloud Tech
    13 Jordan Aaberg 6'8 PF Rothsay North Dakota State
    14 Cedric Martin 6'3 SG Minneapolis Washburn
    15 Mike Fitzgerald 6'5 SG St. Thomas
    16 Josh Figini 6'8 SF Chisago Lakes
    17 Mike Muscala 6'7 SF/PF Roseville
    18 Mike Felt 6'1 PG Redwood Valley
    19 Emmanual Addo 6'7 PF Northfield
    20 Matt Zager 6'2 SG Shakopee
    21 Carlos Emmory 6'5 SF Eastview
    22 Marcus Williams 6'0 PG Hopkins
    23 David Berthene 6'7 PF Lakeville North
    24 Damarius Cruz 6'3 SG Armstrong
    25 Dylan Rodriguez 6'6 PF Blaine
    26 Dylan Hale 6'0 SG St. Paul Central
    27 Zach Towle 5'9 PG Concordia Academy
    28 Josh Zitzman 6'2 SG Farmington
    29 DJ Carrol 6'6 PF Mounds View
    30T Charlie Baker 5'11 PG Eagan
    30T Tom Sawatzke 6'1 PG Monticello

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

A good update from Terry's blog on our 2009 recruits and who has been offered. Sounds like there is 3 offers out for one spot. One of these guys will join Fiegen and White in 2009. The first one who accepts gets it.

The SDSU men's basketball team is believed to have interest in at least three players – all at different positions – for its remaining 2009 scholarship.

Nate Wolters is one of them. At 6-foot-4, he plays scoring guard for St. Cloud Tech High School, but considers himself a natural point – the spot he runs for the Minnesota Comets, one of the teams in Sioux Falls this weekend for the Dakota Showcase.

Some observations from Saturday afternoon's 78-74 win against the South Dakota Heat, where Wolters put up 31 points:

He's very smooth, almost effortless, and arguably handles better than anybody currently on the Jacks roster. He excels at getting to the rim and shoots it well, although doesn't have the same pure (and rare) stroke as Michael Felt, one of the others considering an offer from SDSU.

Wolters seems to be an above average defender, too. He showed the ability to pick pockets, step into passing lanes and block shots, erasing two layups in transition.

(read more - including the comments section)

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    In my humble opinion, a good post player has alot more to do with that person being taught to play with his back to the basket than actual size. A true post player is a thing of the past. Everyone wants to be Dirk Nowitzke, not Tim Duncan. Not much glamour to executing a nice up & under move compared to a drive and dunk or hitting a long 3. Kevin Love is an example of an undersized post player thriving because his dad taught him how to maneuver on the block since he was in grade school. Kevin Love (listed at 6'10"-6'11" depending on who's measuring) is barely 6'9". We need someone who likes to bang, likes to drop a nice baby hook once in a while and someone who works their tail off on the boards. Talent and size are nice. Desire and tenacity are a must. Those are the post players who thrive at our level.
    Or a Tyler Hansbrough type. I'm a Duke fan, but will give him props.......he's isn't overly athletic (hence he won't make a great pro) but his motor runs 100 MPH all the time. He never quits.....ever. He makes more plays he shouldn't make than anyone I've ever seen. He's got the kind of work ethic SDSU needs to find in recruits....someone who isn't afraid to quit....ever.

MJA is right on we need someone undersized who is willing to work their tail off.

Leave a comment:

• NorCalJack
    replied

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    We need someone who likes to bang, likes to drop a nice baby hook once in a while and someone who works their tail off on the boards. Talent and size are nice. Desire and tenacity are a must. Those are the post players who thrive at our level.
    I thought you were talking about Mark Tetzlaff for a while.

Leave a comment:

• MilwaukeeJacksAlum
    replied

In my humble opinion, a good post player has alot more to do with that person being taught to play with his back to the basket than actual size. A true post player is a thing of the past. Everyone wants to be Dirk Nowitzke, not Tim Duncan. Not much glamour to executing a nice up & under move compared to a drive and dunk or hitting a long 3. Kevin Love is an example of an undersized post player thriving because his dad taught him how to maneuver on the block since he was in grade school. Kevin Love (listed at 6'10"-6'11" depending on who's measuring) is barely 6'9". We need someone who likes to bang, likes to drop a nice baby hook once in a while and someone who works their tail off on the boards. Talent and size are nice. Desire and tenacity are a must. Those are the post players who thrive at our level.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X