NDSU Game in Fargo 1/25/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Game in Fargo 1/25/08

I think some people should give a little more respect to the extra years(s) the NDSU team has. They may have a lot of juniors but they all redshirted their 1st year. That means they are in their 4th year of college ball. SDSU has players that are mainly in their 1st or 2nd year of college ball. I don't always agree with the "we are young" statement but it has something to do with it. Men's basketball is a little different than Women's in that (I think) the redshirt year helps. I know that SDSU needs all their freshmen studs to play right away but I wish they could redshirt some of them. I think that helped AC and I'm expecting the same thing from Cassaday next year.
    Tweidt was the main exception to the being 4th year players statement.
    Now I'm on to IPFW.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I think some people should give a little more respect to the extra years(s) the NDSU team has. They may have a lot of juniors but they all redshirted their 1st year. That means they are in their 4th year of college ball. SDSU has players that are mainly in their 1st or 2nd year of college ball. I don't always agree with the "we are young" statement but it has something to do with it. Men's basketball is a little different than Women's in that (I think) the redshirt year helps. I know that SDSU needs all their freshmen studs to play right away but I wish they could redshirt some of them. I think that helped AC and I'm expecting the same thing from Cassaday next year.
      Tweidt was the main exception to the being 4th year players statement.
      Now I'm on to IPFW.
      I agree, when I attended SDSU I was able to watch players develop over a 4 year period. I think the biggest jump in playing ability occured between their Sophomore and Junior years. I have seen numerous Sophomores that were not very good, develop into very good players during their Junior years.

It was that way for me also. It took me about two years really to adjust to the demands of college. I thought I knew a lot of things coming out of High School, only to learn as a Freshman that I really did not know half of what I thought I knew. Studying for example. I though I knew what studying was in High School, but it took me about two years to really figure out what to study and how to study.

I think it is somewhat the same in basketball. Everything just clicked for me when I started my Junior year and I think this will also happen to some of these young men as they progress through their years at State.

Sometimes we all forget that most of this team is made up of Sophomore's and Freshmen. I know everyone is tired of using this as an excuse, but that is the reality of the situation, like it or not.

I still see a bright future for this program and we will be competing for an NCAA birth someday, but just not today.

Go State!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Please don't take the "we're young" excuse too far. We all know that experience leads to improvement, however, I think this team should be performing better on a game-in, game-out basis. Plenty of teams have a great deal of success with underclassmen in primary roles. I'm not saying this team should compete for a league title or even finish .500. I do think they should compete with other low mid-majors each time they take the court against them. On to IPFW, as so many before me have said.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Plenty of teams have a great deal of success with underclassmen in primary roles.
          True but they usually have upperclassmen on the floor to ensure that they are successful. That is not the case for this team.

Out of a total 4,050 minutes of playing time available, 3,097 minutes have been played by underclassmen and 953 were by upperclassmen. That means that 76% of the minutes on this team is being played by underclassmen. You can not rely that heavily on a young group and expect them to be successful night in and night out.

Show me a team that has success in which 75% of the playing time is being given to underclassmen.

Go State!!!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
            True but they usually have upperclassmen on the floor to ensure that they are successful. That is not the case for this team.

Out of a total 4,050 minutes of playing time available, 3,097 minutes have been played by underclassmen and 953 were by upperclassmen. That means that 76% of the minutes on this team is being played by underclassmen. You can not rely that heavily on a young group and expect them to be successful night in and night out.

Show me a team that has success in which 75% of the playing time is being given to underclassmen.

Go State!!!
            Duke, one of the best in the nation plays underclassmen 66% of the minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
              Maybe you should keep your examples to mid-major teams, because SDSU is not going to get the quality of underclassmen that Duke or any other major team can recruit.

Go State!!!
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Well I decided to research how many minutes each Summit League team is playing their underclassmen (Freshmen & Sophomore)

Code:
                   Team              Underclassmen Minutes

Oral Roberts                     138 
                IPFW                             992
                UMKC                           1,233
                Oakland                        1,476
                NDSU                           1,504
                Western Illinois               1,507
                IUPUI                          1,526
                So. Utah                       1,682
                Centenary                      2,356
                SDSU                           3,097
                As you can see SDSU leads the way in playing young players compared to the rest of the league. The league median is about 1500 minutes, which is more than half of what SDSU is playing.

Look things could be worse. You could be UMKC or IPFW. They have a roster full of Junior's and Senior's, but they are still not very good. At least we have potential, we have good players, they are young. We have more good players coming. We finally have a conference and something to play for next year. This will help out in recruiting.

Go State!!!
                Go Jacks!!!
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                  Your right. I can't understand why Coach Nagy is just playing our young guys, and not our young McDonalds All-Americans. He has got to pay more attention to how Coach K does it.
                  Last edited by 1bunnies; 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    Well I decided to research how many minutes each Summit League team is playing their underclassmen (Freshmen & Sophomore)

Code:
                       Team              Underclassmen Minutes

Oral Roberts                     138 
                    IPFW                             992
                    UMKC                           1,233
                    Oakland                        1,476
                    NDSU                           1,504
                    Western Illinois               1,507
                    IUPUI                          1,526
                    So. Utah                       1,682
                    Centenary                      2,356
                    SDSU                           3,097
                    As you can see SDSU leads the way in playing young players compared to the rest of the league. The league median is about 1500 minutes, which is more than half of what SDSU is playing.

Look things could be worse. You could be UMKC or IPFW. They have a roster full of Junior's and Senior's, but they are still not very good. At least we have potential, we have good players, they are young. We have more good players coming. We finally have a conference and something to play for next year. This will help out in recruiting.

Go State!!!
                    Go Jacks!!!
                    Now we have to keep 'em together. Also the previous compliments about Cordova are right on IMH -- and distant-- opinion. Crude, young, pushy and potentially intimidating. He represents the front court strength that is often missing at this level. Give him three years to learn his business and he should be very, very good.

Comment

• Re: NDSU Game in Fargo 1/25/08

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                      I believe if you go back into the old threads you will see the last scholarship went to Anthony Cordova who committed long before Michael was ready.

If I recall correctly Anthony was committed while Michael was still looking at UW-Milwaukee and another Mid-Major back east.

It would have been great to get both but we only had one scholarship to give and we had one kid who was ready to pull the trigger and one who was still shopping. At least that is how I remember it, perhaps Cadsev could give us a better understanding.

Go State!
                      Tveidt had the chance to attend SDSU. He choose NDSU over SDSU and other schools as well including, Richmond, UW Milwaukee, Eastern Kentucky and a few others. Cordova's signing with SDSU had no bearing on Michaels decision. In fact being that Cordova was Prop 48, I can't recall if he even signed a letter of intent. He was not a qualifier out of HS and it was a few years ago so my memory is not as accurate. Many forget that Cordova was not on the roster his true freshman year and he did not eat up a scholarship, it may have forced them to hold one but he didn't have a scholarship his freshman year due to the Prop 48 status.

Comment

Does anybody know if/when NDSU highlights are going to be posted on youtube? I've got several friends I'm trying to get to come to the game next weekend, and I think the dunks by Kai and Dale would put them over the edge.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Does anybody know if/when NDSU highlights are going to be posted on youtube? I've got several friends I'm trying to get to come to the game next weekend, and I think the dunks by Kai and Dale would put them over the edge.
                          Since the broadcast is owned by KSFY and their Fargo partner station, we don't have the copyright clearance to post the highlights on YouTube. We'll just have to wait for Kay and Dale to dunk on NDSU in Frost.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Go to GoJacks.com right now and there is a clip with Dale's dunk in slo-mo. I think Kai's is in there also.
                            Just don't tell your buddies the final score of this game!!

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                            X