NDSU Game in Fargo 1/25/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU Game in Fargo 1/25/08

Going to need an official game thread anyway, so......

I don't know much at all about the team they have this year. If someone has a good breakdown then it is worth some rep points.

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: NDSU Game in Fargo 1/25/08

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    I don't know much at all about the team they have this year. If someone has a good breakdown then it is worth some rep points.
    Here is a write up about the game.

THIS WEEK: The North Dakota State men’s basketball team (10-9, 4-4) closes a three-game homestand Friday night when the Bison host South Dakota State (7-12, 2-6). Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. at the Bison Sports Arena (6,000) in Fargo, where NDSU has won 32 of its last 35 regular-season games.

TELEVISION: KXJB-TV 4 (CBS) of Fargo and KSFY-TV 13 (ABC) of Sioux Falls will televise the game live beginning at 7 p.m. KVLY-TV 11 sports director Scott Peters will handle the play-by-play with KSFY-TV 13 sports director Erik Thorstenson as color analyst.

RADIO: WDAY-AM 970 (Fargo) and Bison Radio Network affiliates KLXX-AM 1270 (Bismarck), KPOK-AM 1340 (Bowman), KQLX-FM 106.1 (Lisbon), KGFX-FM 92.7 (Pierre, S.D.) and KZZJ-AM 1450 (Rugby). WDAY sports director Scott Miller will call the action with NDSU broadcasting director Jeremy Jorgenson handling the color. Air time 6:45 p.m. A free audio stream is available at GoBison.com.

LIVE STATS: Live in-game statistics for all North Dakota State home games and some road games will be available on the Internet at GoBison.com. Choose "Live Stats" from the multimedia menu for the schedule of games available.

LIVE VIDEO: Live streaming video of all North Dakota State home games and Summit League road games will be available on the Internet. SummitTV is the live and on-demand video service available by subscription at www.TheSummitLeague.org.

THE COACHES: Saul Phillips (Wisconsin-Platteville, 1996) is in his first season as the North Dakota State head coach. Phillips was an assistant for the Bison the past three years. He came to NDSU from Wisconsin, where he was director of basketball operations for three years under Bo Ryan. He was an assistant coach for two seasons each at Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Lake Superior State and was a graduate assistant at Wayne State in Nebraska for one year.
    Scott Nagy (Delta State, 1988) is in his 13th season as the head coach at South Dakota State with a 242-133 record. Nagy was a graduate assistant at Illinois in 1988-89 and an assistant coach at SDSU for three seasons from 1990-93. He spent two seasons on the staff at Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (1993-95) before being hired as head coach at SDSU in May 1995.

THE SERIES: This is the 194th meeting between the former North Central Conference foes. Last year, NDSU made its first regular-season home-and-away sweep of South Dakota State since the 1990-91 season with a 78-60 road win and an 86-69 home victory. NDSU leads the all-time series 101-92 dating back to the 1909-10 season.

ABOUT NORTH DAKOTA STATE: The Bison completed their first weekend sweep in The Summit League with back-to-back home wins over Southern Utah (75-54) and UMKC (90-82) last week. North Dakota State climbed back over .500 with a 10-9 overall record. NDSU is in fifth place in The Summit with a 4-4 record, 3 1/2 games back of first-place Oral Roberts.

No. Name Ht. Wt. Yr. Hometown PPG RPG FG% FT%
    22 Brett Winkelman 6-6 220 Jr. Morris, Minn. 19.8 7.9 .526 .814
    23 Michael Tveidt 6-7 207 RFr. Pierre, S.D. 5.9 3.2 .432 .652
    40 Lucas Moormann 6-10 255 Jr. Dickinson, N.D. 4.6 4.7 .407 .433
    10 Ben Woodside 5-11 189 Jr.Albert Lea, Minn. 22.1 2.7 .484 .815
    31 Mike Nelson 6-4 195 Jr. Madison, Wis. 14.9 5.0 .497 .703

Go State!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Rep Points Granted!

Superbunny
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I've seen them play twice. Woodside is a great player, looks to score when he touches the ball. Nelson and Winkelman are both very solid, good scorers, can rebound, shoot FT's well. Tveidt is about as solid a RSFr as you are going to see. If they are hitting the 3's we'll have a hard time keeping up on the offensive end.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I saw both the Jacks and Bison play Minnesota in December.We all know that we took the Gophers down to the wire.A week or two earlier,the Gophers totally dominated NDSU.They really put the clamps on Woodside and he never really was a factor until scoring a few points in garbage time at the end.I realize comparative scores may not be a good indicator,but the Jacks can be in the game if they play well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            I saw both the Jacks and Bison play Minnesota in December.We all know that we took the Gophers down to the wire.A week or two earlier,the Gophers totally dominated NDSU.They really put the clamps on Woodside and he never really was a factor until scoring a few points in garbage time at the end.I realize comparative scores may not be a good indicator,but the Jacks can be in the game if they play well.
            I hope it's true...but we haven't seen the Minnesota game Jacks squad since. IMO the Oakland and UNI games were close, but I think most would agree that the game at The Barn was the best we have played all year.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Saul had some good things to say about SDSU on his radio show last night. I'm sure most of it isn't anything new but I thought you guys might be interested in what another coach has to say. He said that this year's SDSU team was definitely the best its been over the past few years. He was also impressed in how Callahan was coming around, and he had some nice things to say about Kai and Beran. He also thought Nagy had things on the right track.

As for the Minnesota game, I wouldn't take much away from that game. NDSU played their worst game since joining DI, it was ugly.

Also that line-up may or may not be right, over the past few weeks Saul has started Vaughan so Tveidt can come in off the bench and provide some offense.
              Last edited by FargoBison; 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Im going to say that the Jacks come out with a win 87-78.

Comment

My predictions....

Bison men by 10
                  SDSU women by 10

If this game was at Frost I would call it a toss up for the men but at the BSA the Bison have proven to be very tough to beat(only 3 losses in 3 seasons). Plus, the team is starting to get it. It took a while for the team to adjust to Saul being the coach and the loss of Andre Smith's low post presence.

As for the women, Ruley's squad is very unpredictable. One night they blow somebody out and the next they can struggle to beat even a bad team like SUU.

Comment

NDSU could blow us out. If we win, it'll be close (obvious, I know). The Bison fans are right. Their performance against Minnesota was an abberation. They have a solid team that could upset some high level DI teams on the right night. That said, if they don't come out and play with intensity even a struggling team like ours could bet them at home.

If Woodside, Winkelman, Nelson, or even Vaughn get hot from the outside we are going to have to play the perimeter tight. I think Winkelman is their best inside player. Not really worried about their "big" guys. Perimeter players are good FT shooters, frontcourt guys aren't.

Woodside will be as good a player as we have seen this year. He'll shoot, penetrate, draw fouls and make FT's. He also leads them in assists at about 5/game. I'm hoping Moss can match up with hime but I'm not counting on it. I don't Garrett or Clint are quick enough.

We have to play well early or it could get ugly. That my friends is a fact. They pretty well drilled UMKC leading by 20 plus in the second half. I'm looking for our guys to show me something like they did on the road in Minnesota. I'll be tuning in, wish I could make the trip.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In this morning's Fargo Forum

Much like the South Dakota State basketball team that he plays for, Kai Williams is young but gaining experience
                      http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/178440
                      An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                      US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Thanks for putting that link on there.

Comment

Terry's preview of the games (I'm dual posting this in the women's BB section as well.
                          SDSU to clash with Summit foes NDSU
                          By Terry Vandrovec
                          tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                          PUBLISHED: January 25, 2008

Heading into the last leg of their first lap around the Summit League, the South Dakota State women's basketball teams are a combined 8-8 in conference play. It's the same story for the squads from North Dakota State.

Not great, but certainly not horrible.

The records serve as a reminder that land-grant universities with strong traditions though they might be, the former North Central Conference members are still reclassifying to the NCAA Division I level. They're also a testament to the fact that belonging to a league, for all its benefits, is in some ways harder than being Independent.
                          "I'll be the first one to admit, I think there's a lot of people around our program that thought we were going to be a great team in this league," SDSU women's coach Aaron Johnston said. "I'm not saying we're not, but if we're going to be a great team we've got a lot of ways to improve and it certainly will be a big, big challenge. And I don't know if everyone expected it to be as much of a challenge. I wouldn't say our players or coaches felt that way, but I think maybe on the outside."

(read more)

Comment

We now interupt your regularly scheduled game for Grey's Anatomy.

Comment

That first half was nothing to be proud of.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X