Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Game in Fargo 1/25/08

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Agreed. As someone who has nearly 200 18-year-olds in my classes, though, I can only ask that we try to remember what it's like to be that age. Then add the pressure of thousands of fans' expectations. Then add the pressure of playing against older and more experienced players like Woodside in meaningful games and on the road.

All I'm saying is it ain't easy to be an 18-year-old D1 player with few upperclassmen around to demonstrate effort and fearlessness under tough circumstances. At some point, the young guys are going to figure it out. As you say, I think we can see Cordova doing that right before our eyes. Sargent has shown us what he can do. And I would suggest that Moss is on a fast track to figure it out, too.

We're suffering from unrealistic expectations right now. The Summit League is better than we all thought. And just having a full roster doesn't mean we're instantaneously going to be a .500 team. But anybody can see there's talent there. They show it inconsistently, because of that whole 18-year-old thing. We've got Cassadey on the shelf until next year. We've got a very mature young man, 6'7" shooter James Rader, Griffan Callahan, and a 6'10" JC center coming in next year. Plus, we'll have the returning guys with a year of hard knocks under their belts.

This team is going to keep getting better. There will be setbacks like last night. But they're going to get there.
    Why waste space on the bench for a kid (Griffan Callahan) that quit at a Division 2 school? We'll be having this same discussion this time next yeat I'm afraid. And I was one of the many who predicted a 20 win season.
    Last edited by Just in the crowd; 01-27-2008, 05:52 PM. Reason: insert word

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
      Why waste space on the bench for a kid (Griffan Callahan) that quit at a Division 2 school? We'll be having this same discussion this time next yeat I'm afraid. And I was one of the many who predicted a 20 win season.
      From what I recall he is suppose to be the better of the two Callahan's. We offered him, as did several other DI schools but he waited to long and ended up at UND. I don't think we're wasting a spot on the bench with him. And, I don't think he's on scholorship. Maybe someone else can clarify but I believe he's going to have to earn a schollie now.

Comment

With a max of 13 scholarships and some of them being used on redshirts (hopefully in future cycles, at least), a good program needs good walk-ons to fill out its roster and practice squad. Good walk-ons may get the opportunity to earn cholarships. Players like Griffan Gallahan should be welcomed to the team. I'm glad he transferred to SDSU.
        This space for lease.

Comment

There wasn't a lot to cheer about during the NDSU game (I watched on TV), but there were a few things, including three awesome dunks (two by Williams and one by Moss). The Jacks could have used Palarca, who was injured. I hate the thought of watching Tweidt (spelling?) from Pierre playing for the Bison another three years. The Jacks have got to stop letting those guys get across the border to Fargo. I think it will happen. Fargo isn't that charming a place, after all, especially in the winter.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            There wasn't a lot to cheer about during the NDSU game (I watched on TV), but there were a few things, including three awesome dunks (two by Williams and one by Moss). The Jacks could have used Palarca, who was injured. I hate the thought of watching Tweidt (spelling?) from Pierre playing for the Bison another three years. The Jacks have got to stop letting those guys get across the border to Fargo. I think it will happen. Fargo isn't that charming a place, after all, especially in the winter.
            Guys like Tviedt getting away definitely makes you wonder. I don't get too excited by dunks when we're down by 20, but maybe thats just me. I really don't like hanging on the rim after a dunk, flush it and get back on defense. Again, thats probably just me.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Guys like Tviedt getting away definitely makes you wonder. I don't get too excited by dunks when we're down by 20, but maybe thats just me. I really don't like hanging on the rim after a dunk, flush it and get back on defense. Again, thats probably just me.
              We are not likely to get the full story from all angles here on how Tviedt got away. What I do know is that Tviedt attended more than one BB camp at SDSU. Other than that I dont know, but something happened to make Tviedt to choose NDSU over SDSU.

Jeff Kolpeck of the Forum seems to think that the tv coverage in So Dak pumped Michael up and gave him a burst. I did catch some of the game between NDSU and Colorado State, and Tviedt did not do in that game what he did against SDSU. The adrenline was flowing for Michael on Friday and what made that happen is a not question I can not answer.

Comment

I think Filbert is being fair. I know others don't, but I think there comes a point where one's desire to cheer one's brains out for a team that's playing poorly just fails to be enjoyable. And while I think my next comment is related more to pro sports than college, what really drives many fans (including people like me) insane is when it looks like they care more about a game than players do. Anyhow, I'm not speaking for Filbert there nor am I saying the players on our men's team don't care about how they play. That was just a comment. To get back on topic, just because you say that the team isn't playing well (especially when that's obviously an accurate comment) and sit on your hands now and again does not make you a fair-weather fan. It doesn't mean you don't want the team to win. It can be a way to voice (so to speak) displeasure. And that is fair ... especially at this level and especially if you know what you're talking about. Sometimes you just want to see something to cheer about. And there are times this year that there just hasn't been much to cheer about.

I know a lot of people were very upset that we were picked to finish so low in the conference. I said at the time (and I can look it up if need be) that given our recent history, the fact that we're still in the transition process and our youth, I couldn't imagine why we would have been picked any higher. It wouldn't have made sense. Even so, I'm troubled with how several games have gone ... blowing some late leads (especially a huge one at San Jose State) and just not showing up on other nights (Western Illinois, NDSU, etc.). Let's be honest, it's not just been a game or two. So I am unhappy, and I certainly understand why other people are unhappy and don't want to hoot and holler when we're down by 20 points. And, truth be told, I don't think we would be very good fans if we didn't get upset with some of those games. I guess people just process things differently. I think it's the fact that there have been times when we don't even look like we belong on the same court as our opponents that drives some of us insane. How patient are people supposed to be? I don't know. And, I guess, it doesn't really matter. I'll be the last one the people who make such decisions ask. But I did expect something more this season ... especially compared to what we've seen in many of the past several games. Maybe my expectations are too high. And maybe I contradict myself when I say we were silly to think we should have been higher in the pre-season poll while at the same time saying that my expectations aren't being met. I'm sorry for that. But I know I am not pleased with what I saw Friday ... and for that I don't feel sorry. I'm not asking for 20 victories or a .500 record or any specific win total. But I do want us to look like we belong. Some of the whys have been rehashed in great detail already, but the bottom line is that on Saturday we didn't. And it wasn't even close.

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Thanks to a PM, ViciousCircle has clarified the point at which I harshed his feng shui. He takes serious issue with my comment that I'll cheer until we're down 20.

First of all, he is completely within his rights to tell me I'm full of (insert your favorite naughty word here). I'm a big boy, I can take it.

This is in fact not at all a new policy for me, in fact, it's how I've cheered for as long as I've a Rabbit fan. My idea here is that the team on the court needs to give me some kind of reason to cheer. It doesn't have to be a lot, but falling behind by 20 isn't on the list. I'll actually make exceptions if the Jacks show signs of life even if they're down big, so it's not a hard and fast rule. But one of the reasons I have such rules for myself is that if I didn't have them, I'd quite possibly hurt myself--and I'm serious about that.

I've gone home with splitting headaches and without the ability to talk in the past after Jackrabbit games, and I don't really need to be on any more blood pressure meds, so I'm not going to apologize for putting some boundaries on my vocalness.

I'm not asking anybody to follow my lead here, it's just how I do my own little bit of personal game management.

I hope that clears that up.

As for the rest of it, I'm certainly guilty of Posting While Upset. If there's a 12-step group for that, I think a lot of us probably need to join.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

It has been covered before, but in case people have forgotten, Tviedt's older brother goes to NDSU.

Comment

We were watching college ball yesterday there are teams in the BIG TEN and other conferences that are losing by 20 points to teams too. How do you think the players feel when they do give 100%, and they lose.

Comment

I'm ok with losing by 20+ (considering we're still in transition) if the effort is consistently there. I'm not convinced, at this point, that the effort given on the court is always 100%...especially on the defensive end.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                        We were watching college ball yesterday there are teams in the BIG TEN and other conferences that are losing by 20 points to teams too. How do you think the players feel when they do give 100%, and they lose.
                        A point our posters miss a LOT. We seem to have two things going here. 1) The Summit League is tougher than a lot of our fans seem to have believed. 2) Losing begats losing...we seem to be mired in the same thing that hit last season down the stretch. Kind of like trying to escape from quicksand.

I don't for one moment feel any fan feels worse than the players do when they lose...and especially when they get bombed.

As for Michael Tviet...SDSU went after him, but as I recall, Tviet kept stalling on making a decision, and the coaches wanted to fill their scholarships and became weary of waiting on him. I believe Thomas Basset got the scholarship being held open for Tviet (although it might have been Garrett Callahan's offer?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          As for Michael Tviet...SDSU went after him, but as I recall, Tviet kept stalling on making a decision, and the coaches wanted to fill their scholarships and became weary of waiting on him. I believe Thomas Basset got the scholarship being held open for Tviet (although it might have been Garrett Callahan's offer?)
                          Thanks Jack#1. Thats sounds more reasonable than Tviedts brother goes to NDSU. We got three more years to watch him and I dont think he will have that scoring spurt in the remaining seven games against SDSU. I would hope that we find a way to defend him and the others around the primeter. Here is one reason to recruit a taller roster in the future, if we can get those lanky and athletic guys.

Tviedt made his choice and hopefully it was a right one for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Thanks Jack#1. Thats sounds more reasonable than Tviedts brother goes to NDSU. We got three more years to watch him and I dont think he will have that scoring spurt in the remaining seven games against SDSU. I would hope that we find a way to defend him and the others around the primeter. Here is one reason to recruit a taller roster in the future, if we can get those lanky and athletic guys.

Tviedt made his choice and hopefully it was a right one for him.

We did not wait on Michael. He made his decision between the two of us. We then found someoelse for the scholarship.

Comment

I believe if you go back into the old threads you will see the last scholarship went to Anthony Cordova who committed long before Michael was ready.

If I recall correctly Anthony was committed while Michael was still looking at UW-Milwaukee and another Mid-Major back east.

It would have been great to get both but we only had one scholarship to give and we had one kid who was ready to pull the trigger and one who was still shopping. At least that is how I remember it, perhaps Cadsev could give us a better understanding.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                                I believe if you go back into the old threads you will see the last scholarship went to Anthony Cordova who committed long before Michael was ready.

If I recall correctly Anthony was committed while Michael was still looking at UW-Milwaukee and another Mid-Major back east.

It would have been great to get both but we only had one scholarship to give and we had one kid who was ready to pull the trigger and one who was still shopping. At least that is how I remember it, perhaps Cadsev could give us a better understanding.

Go State!
                                That is exactly how I remember it too. We had offered schollies to both AC and Michael Twiedt and Anthony accepted his offer first while Twiedt was hoping for a better offer. Twiedt ended up at NDSU because those other offers never came. I am sure Cadsev could tell us more...

I believe our staff at the time thought both were of equal talent. Looking at it now, I am not sure I wouldn't rather have Anthony anyway. The type of player he is (physical bruiser, inside presence, good rebounder) is much more difficult to find than that of Twiedt who seems to be more of a finesse type athlete (more like incoming recruit James Radar from what I understand). One could argue that both Twiedt and AC are having equal statistical seasons, even though Twiedt is surrounded by much more experienced and talented players and is averaging many more minutes of PT.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X