NJIT - Final Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NJIT - Final Game

And thanks posters and moderators for helping keep the men's season interesting. I look forward to next season. And, of course, this year's WNIT.
    This space for lease.

Comment

How's this for positive spin:

In our first three seasons in D-I, we've finished two of those three years with a win.

(It ain't much, but it's something . . . )
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Nagy:
        Just stubbornness on my part, we should have gone zone earlier. I talked to the players at halftime, asked them if we should go zone, they said no, we can guard man to man, maybe just pride on their part.

Kai Williams: Didn't expect him to be the leading scorer for the season, we had guys who had tough years this year. If a freshman is your leading scorer you're probably going to have a tough year. Looking ahead we're excited about how good we're going to be.

I told the guys after the game I'm proud to tell everybody that I'm your coach. About every game we went into undersized and undertalented. I felt they competed, that's all I can ask of them. I think we'll look a lot different next year--I know we'll look a lot different next year. I'm excited about it, I know the kids are, and I know the coaches are.

We're out on the recruiting trail hard, we'll sign two kids and possibly more. I've got to go to Tulsa for the Mid-Con finals, then back for my son's birthday, then out on the road.

The best part about next year will be number one we'll be better and number two we'll have a conference being in.

I've got constant e-mails that people feel better when I'm more positive.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just got home from the high school game and see the Jacks won. Conratulations to them and even though it has been a tough year, it is still great to be a Jacks fan.

Comment

Sounds like we may see more than two new recuits next season, judging by the coach's post-game comments. He's hitting the recruiting trail.
            This space for lease.

Comment

If we are potentially signing more than two players as the coach indicated in his post game comments this could be a sign there might be another defection. If we can keep the core of this team together add Berte and Beran and a few junior college players I think we can be competitive in the Mid-Con!

Comment

I was at the game and just have a few quick thoughts:

1) Hopefully this game will be an indicator of better things to come.
                2) As Filbert noted, Frias came up with some big plays when it was needed.
                3) Midway through the second half (around 15:00 to 10:00 left), Kai kept us in the game as he scored nine points in a row for us while the rest of the team went cold. His last point in that stretch gave us the lead for good.

Comment

Too drunk to post right now about things will post later about what I know and have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    Too drunk to post right now about things will post later about what I know and have heard.
                    Classic line. I anxiously await further news.

Ended up at the Yankton Bucks game last night. Got to here the end of the game. Glad we could finish with a win. Another great game for Kai, the real deal.

Aside: Colt Iverson is decent but young, needs to be much more aggresive and develop a game while facing the basket. Not sure I saw a lot of DI promise last night. SF Washington had nobody that could match-up with him and he struggled a bit to take control of the game. Still a nice player and very young. There is a lot of potential there.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Is Iverson in next years class or the 08-09 class?

Comment

Still have a raging headache from last night but here it goes.

Game last night, seniors played their hearts out. Frias and Kleinjan deserve mad props for sticking it out and leading the team quietly. The horrible FT shooting has to come to an end sometime, probably should have cost us the game but our guys found a diifferent way to get it done. Kai only missed 5 shots last night, 3 3pt shots, a FT and a shot from the field, this is I have to say becoming Kai's team. Cadwell played well in what could be his last game as a Jackrabbit. Engen becoming aggressive, aight Mark loving that side of him. 3 point plays made the difference for us last night both on the And 1 and from behind the arc. A win is always a good way to end the season. Almost everyone who played took a shot from beyond the arc which is kind of cool to see. As for speculation on Cadwell, well ummmm I wish I didn't know what I do know. But I do trust what I have heard, because well this person would know about it. Mid-Con here we come. Things can only go up from here.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                          Still have a raging headache from last night but here it goes.

Cadwell played well in what could be his last game as a Jackrabbit.  

If this is true, I would expect it will come out soon.? Nothing else can be said until we know for sure and maybe why.

Comment

I agree with Filbert on the "Everybody Hurt's" song, thought it was not exactly SDSU style.

Great game, with just a short lull. Saw some smiles from the players during and at the end which is encouraging and they did seem to give it their all.

Thanks to Andy and Frias and best wishes for their futures.

My end of the year awards:

MVP - Kai
                            Most improved - Jose
                            Hustle award - Jose
                            Fans Choice - Kai (he's really playing agressive now)
                            Most potential - Callahan (above what we have seen so far. I can see how he could turn into an Austin Hansen style point leader)
                            Unsung Hero - Loney

Was great to end on a win and gave the fans and players a taste of what could come. I think the Mid-con will help a ton, more so in the years to come.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...13/1002/SPORTS

College roundup: Jackrabbit men snap long skid

By From staff and wire reports
                              Published: March 4, 2007
                              Kai Williams scored 20 points and grabbed seven rebounds as South Dakota State snapped a nine-game losing streak with a 71-61 win over New Jersey Tech on Saturday in Brookings.

Williams was 7-for-11 from the field with two 3-pointers for the Jackrabbits (6-24). SDSU closed out the season with a win after losing 14 of its previous 15 games.

Matt Cadwell added 14 points for SDSU, which shot 52 percent from the field. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

I'm glad someone else mentioned the REM song. I didn't think that was a good choice of songs to play. I would expect other teams to not play that when our players get hurt. The "Big girls, don't cry" song is good for when someone fouls out but we need to show respect to hurt players.

As for the game, it was nice to finish with a win. Jose kicked in a very nice finish to his senior year. I was harsh on Matt for his last couple of games but I was glad he turned in a good performance. Hope he sticks it out with the returning players we have. We can have a nice core of players for next year. Didn't like Thomas sitting on the end of the bench after the student assistant. He would have gone back in the game if not for that display.
                                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                                X