Jackrabbits v Gophers Dec 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jackrabbits v Gophers Dec 12

The constant reference to not accepting "moral victories" is starting to become old. No one on this board thinks "moral victories" are what any team hopes to achieve. I don't think the Jacks playing the Gophers close was a moral victory. Too many people confuse the terms "moral victory" with "progress". What people, including coach Nagy, need to recognize is that considering where this team has been the past few years, PROGRESS is important. They took a big step against the U of M and to ignore that and talk about being "sick to my stomach" instead of recognizing PROGRESS is going to cast the direction this team is moving in a bad light. Pride gets in the way of a lot of things, don't let it get in the way of the progress this team is showing.

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
      The constant reference to not accepting "moral victories" is starting to become old. No one on this board thinks "moral victories" are what any team hopes to achieve. I don't think the Jacks playing the Gophers close was a moral victory. Too many people confuse the terms "moral victory" with "progress". What people, including coach Nagy, need to recognize is that considering where this team has been the past few years, PROGRESS is important. They took a big step against the U of M and to ignore that and talk about being "sick to my stomach" instead of recognizing PROGRESS is going to cast the direction this team is moving in a bad light. Pride gets in the way of a lot of things, don't let it get in the way of the progress this team is showing.

I'm a huge Coach Nagy supporter, but I do agree Coach could've choosen his words better when he was quoted being "sick to my stomach". As was said, there's a difference between a "moral victory" and "progress". This team definitely "progressed" in this game.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        I'm a huge Coach Nagy supporter, but I do agree Coach could've choosen his words better when he was quoted being "sick to my stomach". As was said, there's a difference between a "moral victory" and "progress". This team definitely "progressed" in this game.

Go Jacks!!
        I'm going to back Coach Nagy on this one. From talking to a couple of players and others associated with the team, I can say that sick to their stomachs is how they all felt after the Minnesota game.

It's not going to hurt any of the players' feelings for coach to say that. There's no doubt he likes his team, and they know that. They all know there is progress occurring, but they go into games expecting to win them, not to simply progress. And when they lose knowing they should have done better on the defensive end, they all have a sick feeling as a result.

As fans, we can be happy with progress. But that just isn't how the team or the coaches view this process. They want to win every game.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I watched the game on Big 10 TV (which initially missed the Kai Williams slam but showed a quick replay of it). The Jacks gave up a few inches here and there but did not by any means appear outmanned or intimidated. This is not the same team that barely beat Mary. This is an improved version of the team that played with Montana a few games ago. With the improvement these guys have been showing since the exhibition with Dakota Wesleyan, the Jacks are capable of beating any team left on their schedule, and the outlook for the next couple of seasons is bright. That beating at Oral Roberts must have been an aberration.
          Last edited by Jacked_Up; 12-15-2007, 03:17 PM.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Talked to Nagy, Cunningham, and Klink when I bumped into them in Sioux Falls yesterday. Nagy said guys were literally sick to their stomachs the day of the ORU game. Said they felt "sick to their stomachs" after the loss to Minnesota. I think the Minnesota game showed that this team can play a solid all-around brand of basketball for nearly 40 minutes on SOME nights. They are very inconsistent just as you would EXPECT from an inexperienced team. They key is progress has hoop guy said. I don't think being sick about a loss takes away from the chance to see and feel progress. I do think he might have phrased it differently and I have a feeling Coach Nagy agrees. I think the recent bout of gastroenteritis influenced his choice of words.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

With Berte having his conditioning back this is a different team with him under the boards. He physically can compete with anyone on our schedule and showed what he is capable of in the Gopher game with 11 Boards. Callahan and Williams are playing with a lot of confidence. Williams Arena is always a fun enviroment especially when the Jacks competed like they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                I watched the game on Big 10 TV (which initially missed the Kai Williams slam but showed a quick replay of it).
                I didn't even think they were going to show the replay at first. Was glad when they did.

And JACKGUYII, I agree with your comment about Berte. I'm hoping we start seeing him get more minutes the next few games because he is showing the hustle from 2 years ago.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

The Tubby Smith Show is on FSN today at 6:00. I would guess they will have some highlights of the game from Wednesday night.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    The Tubby Smith Show is on FSN today at 6:00. I would guess they will have some highlights of the game from Wednesday night.
                    Tubby was very complimentary of the Jacks and Coach Nagy.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

• SDSU Fans should take heart

I was pretty impressed with your team and especially with your head coach. Out of the six teams we've had visit, I'd say the Jackrabbits were by far the more competitive and scrappy. Much more so than NDSU and more than Iowa State (and that was at Ames).

Good luck on the rest of your season -- it was a great game and I'm looking forward to an equally great football game next fall. (When I hope our team is a bit more solid than this year.
                      MN Snowman
                      going through life one flake at a time

Comment

Thanks, Snowman. The Jacks and the Gophers play in men's basketball again next year, I think, but the football game isn't until 2009.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

I'm finally getting around to watching the game (DVR'ed it off DirecTV) - - -

The Jacks look good in HD . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

We watched the Gopher game yesterday, Kai brought a few dvd's home courtesy of the jackrabbit folks, and so most of the holidays after Kai goes back will be spent watching them no doubt
                            We have the Centenary game too but no sound just not the same somehow

Comment

Garrett's dad was at the game and the rest of his family was invited over to a friends house to also watch. What a game! I was on the edge of my seat all night! You guys have what it takes to keep it going!!!! I am so proud of all of you! Afterwards, our cell phones were ringing from the towns folk and other friends who also tuned in the game. Garrett's high school coaches and their families watched and told us how proud they were of him and the rest of the team!! GOOOOOOOOOO JACKKKKKKKKKKKKKS make the rest of the season, the best yet!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X