This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Recruits

I just turned on the SDPTV when Fiegen made that spectular assist to win the game. Lennox had him covered but he still got the pass and flip it off to the guard who got the lay up to win. That play took dicipline and execution which is what we need in future recruits.

I did not see Chad White play as he fouled out before I turned on the TV. These guys are still juniors so its hard to assess their talent now and where they will be down the road. Hopefully they will come to SDSU ready to contribute.

Having watched Sioux Valley lose soundly to Platte-Geddes, I was impressed with Ben Miller. He is 6-5 and his coach has him playing both guard and post and anywhere else he is needed. I dont know how quick he is but I like the idea of having 6'5'' guards who can handle the ball and drive. I don't suspect he is high on SDSU recruiting list, but I think he will play college ball somewhere.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 03-14-2008, 09:20 AM.

Comment

From the Argus article about the Madison-Lennox game:

Steffensen's heroics also capped a night in which three Division I players were at their best.

Senior Jared Vlastuin, whose next important game now will come as a Drake Bulldog, led the Orioles (20-4) with 29 points - 17 in the second half. But his last points came on a pair of free throws that gave Lennox a 58-50 advantage halfway through the final quarter.

Fiegen, who has already made a verbal commitment to South Dakota State, matched Vlastuin's total - however, 21 of his came in the final two periods. His 3-point basket tied the game at 58 with 3:20 left and his back-to-back baskets gave the Bulldogs a 62-60 lead with 1:59 to go.

"We knew it would be a dogfight," Fiegen said. "To even get a chance to come to the state tournament, then to beat a great team like Lennox is really a great feeling."

Chad White, a 6-6 junior who also have given a verbal commitment to SDSU, scored 13 points and had eight rebounds before fouling out with 2:38 to go. It was his dunk midway through the fourth quarter that provided the spark for that one run Ricke knew his team had in it.

"Chad's dunk really got the crowd in it," Ricke said. "And Ryan hit a 3-pointer that was really big."

(read more)

Comment

That was a fun game to watch. Vlastuin is the real deal and can jump out of the gym, he will be a very good pickup for Drake. Both Feigen and White had good moments last night and will be fun to watch the rest of the tournament. After White fouled out Feigen really took over for Madison and definitely wanted the ball each time down the floor. That's the kind of thing you like to see out of a Junior in high school
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Having watched Sioux Valley lose soundly to Platte-Geddes, I was impressed with Ben Miller. He is 6-5 and his coach has him playing both guard and post and anywhere else he is needed. I dont know how quick he is but I like the idea of having 6'5'' guards who can handle the ball and drive. I don't suspect he is high on SDSU recruiting list, but I think he will play college ball somewhere.
          From the SDHSAA website, he ran a 2:07 800 meter at the state track meet last year. According to the TV broadcast yesterday, he averaged over 23 points and 10 rebounds per game this year.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Does anyone know if we are looking at Cody Schilling from Ellsworth, Minnesota?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              From the article above:
              Quote:
              Last season Schilling was the only junior named to the Associated Press all-state first team, which included current Gophers player Blake Hoffarber of Hopkins and Bloomington Jefferson’s Cole Aldrich, now playing at Kansas.

Schilling has not made a college choice. His final list contains three schools: Division II power Winona State, Division II Augustana in Sioux Falls and Northwestern in Iowa, the NAIA school where brother Curt is playing.

Those colleges have offered free rides, as have such schools as North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Northern Iowa. Minnesota, Iowa State, Drake, Creighton and others have offered Schilling a walk-on spot with the possibility of a scholarship in the future.

A drawer in Cody’s bedroom is jammed with letters from colleges. On the day of the game against Mountain Lake/Butterfield-Odin, seven letters arrive in the mail from Drake, the No. 15 team in the nation.
              "It would be better if they’d offer him a scholarship," Curt Schilling says.
              *bump*

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                *bump*
                Take it with a grain of salt,but a post on one of the Minnesota sites(Gopherhole.com)says that SDSU has not offered,but Cody would be very interested if offered.It is under a Cody Schilling thread on the basketball message board.

Comment

I am going to go out on a limb and say that as we look for guards in our recruiting process we are going to continue to look along the lines of 6'4"+. Guards in the lines of Clint Sargeant and Dale Moss. A lot of people forget that for a good part of the minutes played this year, Clint and Dale brought the ball up the court.

There were some really advantageous mismatches created when we had Dale and Clint on the court at the same time. I look for even more of this next year.

I'm not saying that there isn't room on the roster for a very talented player that happens to be under 6'4", but after watching a year of the Summit League close up, it is much harder for a smaller guard to do much on the offensive end because so many of the teams in our league have a 6'6" player that can shut down a smaller guard.

Michael Palarca averaged over 18 points per game in High School in California, but at State, because of his size he is primarily a defensive player, and there were a few games we couldn't really use him because of the bad mismatches created when he was on the floor. His on the ball defense is really fun to watch, though.

So in short, while Schilling may be a great talent, there is a reason why he is looking at DII schools where a 6'3" guard is still considered big and can dominate a game. With the level of talent that Coach Nagy has been able to bring in, I'm willing to defer to his judgement on who to offer and who not to offer. Now we just need to get that talent to play together and win some games.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I am going to go out on a limb and say that as we look for guards in our recruiting process we are going to continue to look along the lines of 6'4"+. Guards in the lines of Clint Sargeant and Dale Moss. A lot of people forget that for a good part of the minutes played this year, Clint and Dale brought the ball up the court.

There were some really advantageous mismatches created when we had Dale and Clint on the court at the same time. I look for even more of this next year.

I'm not saying that there isn't room on the roster for a very talented player that happens to be under 6'4", but after watching a year of the Summit League close up, it is much harder for a smaller guard to do much on the offensive end because so many of the teams in our league have a 6'6" player that can shut down a smaller guard.

Michael Palarca averaged over 18 points per game in High School in California, but at State, because of his size he is primarily a defensive player, and there were a few games we couldn't really use him because of the bad mismatches created when he was on the floor. His on the ball defense is really fun to watch, though.

So in short, while Schilling may be a great talent, there is a reason why he is looking at DII schools where a 6'3" guard is still considered big and can dominate a game. With the level of talent that Coach Nagy has been able to bring in, I'm willing to defer to his judgement on who to offer and who not to offer. Now we just need to get that talent to play together and win some games.

I'd say give Palarca a year to get some muscle and work on this game. Not many freshman come in an light up the scoreboard. It's a big jump from HS to DI college and just because he didn't score a ton this year doesn't mean he won't ever in his career. If he can get stronger he is quick enough to get by guys and should be able to get to the hole and get fouled.

I know he isn't at the same level, but look at Ty Lawson of UNC. He isn't very big, but he is QUICK and can get by anyone at anytime.

I'm not attacking you just saying we should give him the benefit of the doubt since he was a true freshman last year.

Comment

One of the best gaurds in the league, Ben Woodside, is 5-11.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonRabbit View Post
                        Does anyone know if we are looking at Cody Schilling from Ellsworth, Minnesota?
                        I can assure you Coach Nagy and his staff are well aware of Schilling. Keep in mind the current scholarship situation and remain aware of the verbal commitments, some that we all know about and others that only those who need to know, know about. I'm not saying anything that most of us aren't aware of. Its a whole heck of a lot more complicated than sitting down with one player and his family and offering a scholarship.

So, in short, we're looking at him.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm not saying that we should have a hard cap on a height requirement, if a special player comes along and we have a shot at him we go for it regardless of height.

What I am saying, is if you have 2 recruits who are very similar statistically and all other things being equal (heart, work ethic, coachability, etc.) I think we would all pick the kid who is 6'5" over the 6'0" every day of the week. That may be a mistake, and it may be how players like Ben Woodside ended up at NDSU and not at Minnesota.

Also, I didn't mean any disrespect to Michael in my last post. He is a freshman and his scoring may improve as he gets older. But I think his most important contributions will always be in ball distribution and defense. Every successful teams needs someone like that. Like I said before, he is exciting on defense, and that alone is worth playing time, IMO, and he did hit some big shots for us last year.

Comment

I still think we need immediate post help more than a HS shooter.

Comment

Cody Schilling is 6'5", and very long.

Comment

Did anyone watch Schilling play in the MN State tournament this weekend? Is he a "legit" player at SDSU's level?

Great scorers are fine, but I don't know that they ever succeed very well at the college level, at least ones of recent memory. Isaiah Dahlman, whom Schilling surpassed as the state's all time leading scorer, has contributed very little to Michigan State. Joel McDonald had a decent, but nothing spectacular career at St. Cloud. Even SDSU's own Andy Klienjan, who was a great high school scorer, was out of his element in the college game. And yes, I realize Andy was more suited to the DII game, so don't jump on me for that one.

My point is, is this Schilling kid that good and if so why haven't more DI's been looking at him?
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X