X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    Gag.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlSZC4TAYVc (in case some don't know or have forgotten--man it's fun to watch players that can move like that, men or women).
    About this dude, I liked what I saw and agree that having a strong body in the post would be extremely helpful on this team. Also consider that he has played for a couple years and been most likely a leader on his team, at least with his play. Jacks could use some of that in the post too.
    He seems a respectable replacement for AC, both in position and in seniority.

Comment

I love it! How many guys would Kevin foul out today?

Comment

A 4th post player for next years team, if not a must, would be huge. Being able to rotate 4 TRUE post players would be huge.

Last year we had an unmotivated 6'7/255 AC who couldn't make FT's....an undersized 6'6 Kai....6'10 Engen who gave great effort but was pretty unathletic....a 6'7 true frosh who didn't have much bulk or experience.

Replace that with...

An athletic 6'8 3-star freshman who was offered by Iowa St and Wake Forest...a 6'7/240 Juco All-American who was 5th in nation in rebs...a athletic 6'9 true freshman who is ready to compete at the Summit level right now....that same 6'7 kid from last year w/ more weight and experience.

We'd be WAY better off down low.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
          I love it! How many guys would Kevin foul out today?
          My three favorite things in basketball are good footwork in the post, good defense on the perimeter, and touch passes in transition.

BTW: the McHale video should be compared with the Jurich video, to get a feel for the body control & footwork required to play well in the post....

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
            Last year we had an unmotivated 6'7/255 AC who couldn't make FT's....an undersized 6'6 Kai....
            With us finding out AC was battling back problems last year, I have cut back on my criticism of AC. Maybe he shouldn't have been playing but he was trying to gut it out. And instead of saying Kai was undersized, I would say Kai was asked to play out of position. Kai is not a power forward or center he was asked to play for most of his college career.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Fair enough bub.

And I think Kai did a great job in his career here for playing out of position most of the time. Did he lead in rebs his soph, jr and sr years? I know the last two for sure.

I will miss him more than anyone from last year.

I love Callahan and all but injuries really hurt his senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlSZC4TAYVc (in case some don't know or have forgotten--man it's fun to watch players that can move like that, men or women).
                I hate to break it to you, but McHale traveled in about 80% of the post moves in that youtube clip. The other 20% of the time, the video cut off his feet so we can't tell if he was traveling or not...

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  I hate to break it to you, but McHale traveled in about 80% of the post moves in that youtube clip. The other 20% of the time, the video cut off his feet so we can't tell if he was traveling or not...

Oh please..... the day you get called for dragging your pivot foot in the NBA... Or that 'skip-step' that just about everybody does to square up to the basket for a shot (although they are quite aggressive about calling that at Frost in WBB games)

Comment

I don't remember which ACC coach it was, but after Michael Jordan had been in the NBA 2 or 3 years, he was asked what he thought of Jordan and if he had improved a great deal from his days at UNC. The coach responded that he hadn't seen Jordan do anything in the NBA that he didn't do at UNC, except get called for traveling.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Lakers fan.

Comment

I replayed several of the clips to figure out which was his pivot foot, and your right - he used both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                          I replayed several of the clips to figure out which was his pivot foot, and your right - he used both of them.
                          Okay. To pick one example, the clip at 3:02. Technically, McHale traveled on that play--he moved his pivot foot a couple inches before releasing the ball. But would you want to watch the NBA if they called him for traveling on a play like that?

I'm not going to break that montage down frame by frame, but there are dang few--if any--instances where McHale traveled so egregiously that he deserved to be called. Plenty of pivot foot drags and small hops and a few instances where it's not clear that the ball left his hand before his pivot foot touched the ground again on layups. But, shoot, man, everybody does that.

Traveling in the post is kind of like holding on the O-line. It happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Okay. To pick one example, the clip at 3:02. Technically, McHale traveled on that play--he moved his pivot foot a couple inches before releasing the ball. But would you want to watch the NBA if they called him for traveling on a play like that?

I'm not going to break that montage down frame by frame, but there are dang few--if any--instances where McHale traveled so egregiously that he deserved to be called. Plenty of pivot foot drags and small hops and a few instances where it's not clear that the ball left his hand before his pivot foot touched the ground again on layups. But, shoot, man, everybody does that.

Traveling in the post is kind of like holding on the O-line. It happens all the time.
                            I admit to playing the devil's advocate simply for the sake of conversation during the slow summer months, but just because everybody does it doesn't make it ok (at least that's what my mom told me). McHale was an amazing player, I'm not trying to take anything away from him.

The NBA has a lot of issues with rule enforcement, IMO. Players travel, carry the ball, push off, flop, etc, etc, etc. I dont' think its the ref's fault, because the game really does move extremely fast. They should probably just change the rules to make the stuff legal that they already let players get away with.

I don't think its good or bad, it just is. At least in the NBA.

However, to want a post with footwork similar to McHale, ball handling similar to Iverson, and rebounding skills similar to Ben Wallace probably wouldn't work at SDSU. Refs would call the travels, carries, and shoves, making the player ineffective. Ben Beran was a very good rebounder tallying over 1000 in high school. He was freshman of the year in the old NCC due in large part to his rebounding ability.

However, when we moved to DI, he started to get called for some of those pushes that the refs in highschool and DII let go because of who he was or who he played for. Neither of those factors carried any clout in the DI world, and Ben seemed to be in constant foul trouble. If Ben had played at a bigger school, he probably would have gotten away with a lot more.

Anyway, not really disagreeing, just making some friendly late July conversation.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I admit to playing the devil's advocate simply for the sake of conversation during the slow summer months, but just because everybody does it doesn't make it ok (at least that's what my mom told me). McHale was an amazing player, I'm not trying to take anything away from him.

The NBA has a lot of issues with rule enforcement, IMO. Players travel, carry the ball, push off, flop, etc, etc, etc. I dont' think its the ref's fault, because the game really does move extremely fast. They should probably just change the rules to make the stuff legal that they already let players get away with.

I don't think its good or bad, it just is. At least in the NBA.

However, to want a post with footwork similar to McHale, ball handling similar to Iverson, and rebounding skills similar to Ben Wallace probably wouldn't work at SDSU. Refs would call the travels, carries, and shoves, making the player ineffective. Ben Beran was a very good rebounder tallying over 1000 in high school. He was freshman of the year in the old NCC due in large part to his rebounding ability.

However, when we moved to DI, he started to get called for some of those pushes that the refs in highschool and DII let go because of who he was or who he played for. Neither of those factors carried any clout in the DI world, and Ben seemed to be in constant foul trouble. If Ben had played at a bigger school, he probably would have gotten away with a lot more.

Anyway, not really disagreeing, just making some friendly late July conversation.
                              The list of things that I'd like the NBA to do would be about as long, if not slightly longer than War and Peace.

Don't get me started on the meaningless 82 game season (not even half the teams are eliminated from the playoffs after EIGHTY TWO GAMES WHAT'S THE POINT?????!!!!), the not-so-lottery, free agency, the need for another ref, the need for a completely rewritten rulebook, and so on and so forth.

But I will say at least this much about McHale, traveling and the college game: The women (and to a lesser extent) the men in the college game can typically execute those pretty up and unders without traveling because they've got more space to work in. There's more space in the post.

Wark & Boever both did the up and under incredibly well--and Sunnarborg is showing promise. Also, Boever (like McHale) was often able to shoot off a rebound without bringing the ball down.

On Beran, one of the beefs I had with him, was that he couldn't/wouldn't adapt to the way he was being called--but I think he was stuck playing out of position a lot during the 'bad old years'. I suppose the choice was get called for fouls, or have fans rag him for 'not trying' (which was what happened to Kai--who played clean even when out of position)

Comment

Maybe the McHale discussion should be moved elsewhere....

Comment

Working...
                                X