Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post

About the same as every other Summit League and mid major team
    Maybe we are spoiled with how we have it on the women's side of things but I'd love us to not only build players and then keep them as I think it'll lead to greater success. Getting harder and harder to do but AJ has found a way to do it. I do think recruiting SD natives is one key to this.

Comment

The deck is so stacked against the smaller schools in this whole situation it's not even funny. Unfortunately, this benefits the rich so it's unlikely we will see any sort of change that we will see as a positive.

I get sick of all the talk about how great these P5 teams are that can't finish .500 in their own league. The 6-11 seeds in the NCAA tournament are not head and shoulders above the best mid-majors (although the taking heads at ESPN want you to think so). The greatness of the NCAA tournament is built on the backs of the David's beating or giving the Goliaths a run for their money. The P5 conferences are going to ruin that.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        The deck is so stacked against the smaller schools in this whole situation it's not even funny. Unfortunately, this benefits the rich so it's unlikely we will see any sort of change that we will see as a positive.

I get sick of all the talk about how great these P5 teams are that can't finish .500 in their own league. The 6-11 seeds in the NCAA tournament are not head and shoulders above the best mid-majors (although the taking heads at ESPN want you to think so). The greatness of the NCAA tournament is built on the backs of the David's beating or giving the Goliaths a run for their money. The P5 conferences are going to ruin that.
        They ruined the NIT, and then ended up offering bids to 13-19 P5 programs, who at least had the good sense to say no.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Not happy that he's leaving, but if it was going to happen, better to find out early so the coaching staff can work on finding a replacement.
          Seems to be the norm now, keep recruiting hidden ringers and enjoy them while you can. Turning into more like Juco BB, where you have a huge turnover each year. Only with better players. I believe viewership will dwindle amongst the teams are continually getting poached. The Jacks probably wouldn't have been in the Summit championship game if other teams hadn't been picked over. Maybe they will have to work out some form of compensation for players poached.

Comment

I see you are joining rest of the Summit with William Kyle III now in the transfer portal and I wonder how long before Zeke Mayo will be in the portal. I don’t like it but can you blame players you’re talking about enough money make significant change in their lives. College basketball, football, and hockey not way for young man or women to get college education it is more than that it has become portal to life changing money for the elite playing in these sports. I hear you about women’s basketball but if the popularity keeps going up it’s going to come calling on your players if the money becomes like it is for men’s side we are going to see players leave. The numbers that are being floated around we all would have to take look at when your talking six figures in cash plus Vehicle and place to live in addition to education you will receive. This is not to mention money after you have left for promotional work. The playing of college sports has turned into a business for large power five schools. I credit you for being able to keep players wanting to continue to play for you on your success but I am afraid this may be coming to end. How long before your coaches also move on wanting chance to win it all if they can’t retain players they recruit to build a program.

Comment

So Nate will be getting more playing time, and we have a crop of R FR that will hit the floor.

Nate Barnhart 7'0" 200 lbs - Lenexa, KS

Damon Wilkinson 6' 10" 260 lbs - De Smet, SD
              Conner Kraft 6'8" 205 lbs - Fargo, ND
              William Whorton 6'8" 205 - Milwaukee, WI

Pretty good rotation. Plus the new recruits. We will be ok. Next man up.

Comment

Oh and don't forget Matt Mors 6'7" 225 lbs - Yankton, SD

Matt came from the portal via Wisconsin and Nate via Wyoming. It is just the new way and we are better at it than many. Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by ND-fan View Post
                  I see you are joining rest of the Summit with William Kyle III now in the transfer portal and I wonder how long before Zeke Mayo will be in the portal. I don’t like it but can you blame players you’re talking about enough money make significant change in their lives. College basketball, football, and hockey not way for young man or women to get college education it is more than that it has become portal to life changing money for the elite playing in these sports. I hear you about women’s basketball but if the popularity keeps going up it’s going to come calling on your players if the money becomes like it is for men’s side we are going to see players leave. The numbers that are being floated around we all would have to take look at when your talking six figures in cash plus Vehicle and place to live in addition to education you will receive. This is not to mention money after you have left for promotional work. The playing of college sports has turned into a business for large power five schools. I credit you for being able to keep players wanting to continue to play for you on your success but I am afraid this may be coming to end. How long before your coaches also move on wanting chance to win it all if they can’t retain players they recruit to build a program.
                  "Life changing money" is the popular phrase now in college sports and on message boards. What is life changing money? The reality is we have no idea what kind of money if any at this point Kyle has been offered. Everyone just assumes that when a player enters the portal he is going to get "life changing money".

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

"Life changing money" is the popular phrase now in college sports and on message boards. What is life changing money? The reality is we have no idea what kind of money if any at this point Kyle has been offered. Everyone just assumes that when a player enters the portal he is going to get "life changing money".
                    That's true - not sure any of us know that yet for WK3. Mayo went on record saying he turned down a good sum of money last year, though I'm not sure it was ever fully defined publicly... I'm sure Baylor got a pretty good amount too for the Creighton move. We really can't expect everyone to pull a Tucker Kraft and turn down big money in favor of staying with the blue and yellow. At that point, he all but knew he would be a fairly high draft prospect. That is an extreme rarity...

This thread has drifted into complaining about the portal and current state of college athletics... I guess refer to the portal thread down in the Summit League-specific forum area, and allow the future of SDSU men's basketball to be the star of the show here.

Excited for Hendo (or whoever the coach will be apparently) to reload this program... excited to see what our young guys bring to the table... and excited to see what the transfer portal potentially giveth (instead of just taketh). Enjoy people/things while we can, nothing is permanent - including any and all coaches, student athletes, teachers, dogs, and/or nice spring days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

"Life Changing Money"

Yeah, no kidding. I'd venture to guess very few are getting a substantial sum of money. What was "life changing" in my eyes at 18-20 years old just isn't really all that much to my current self.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                        Have to look at what we provide the women vs the men at sdsu. For the women it’s legitimately a top place to play. One of the better environments in women’s college basketball. Yes we are going to attract and retain some of the better players in the sport.

For men’s basketball we as fans don’t provide that. 2k for attendance at a majority of home games. What does that rank? Summit in Sioux Falls is great and what we have is better than other summit teams but not close to the P5 experience. We can’t really complain.

Hope Kyle finds his way back. Love watching him play. Can’t blame him for testing the waters. We all can contribute to the jackrabbit collective if we want to improve our chances of retaining and attracting talent.

This team will reload and we will continue to be the class of the league. If we want to reach for higher than that it’s essentially up to the fan base.
                        im pretty sure we were close to 3000 average attendance for the mens conference games. I dont count the non con games because we play naia and d2 teams and i wont drive 2 hrs to watch those games.

Comment

Cant say Im shocked about Kyle, and fully expect there will be more. I keep a passing interest in whether we win or lose, but I and many of my other alumni friends have checked out of basketball feeling its pointless becoming invested in a team thats a development league for players.

Comment

If we are going to be a farm team for the big boys, can we align ourselves with a few of them and make it work? They recruit and pay the freshmen to go to SDSU, we develop them and probably lose them in 2 years. The big school keeps replenishing. Perhaps they also donate to our collective or something along those lines.

We get talent we otherwise wouldn't get and our coffers get lined. The big schools get their young bucks accustomed to the college game without sacrificing a roster spot for a few years. If it doesn't work out, whatever it's just money for them. The athlete makes some money, gets to play and learn versus sit and learn.
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Based on what we currently know about the roster, my guess for next season's lineup is:
                              PG - Jaden Jackson (or Owen Larson or Bubz Alvarez),
                              SG - Zeke Mayo and Kalen Garry (with Joe Sayler next in line)
                              F - Nate Barnhart and Matthew Mors (with William Whorton next in line).
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Looks like the second shoe has dropped. The one yesterday surprised me, I was expecting this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X