GDT: SDSU vs Omaha 7pm Baxter Arena SLN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i do not believe it is insulting and i definitely do not intend it to be, when i say, that he is not as good a player as Scheireman or Abmas the two best perimeter players to leave the league in recent seasons. if it is safe to believe that bigger schools see the same thing, then he will probably not have options that are equal to the options that those two had? if that is correct, perhaps he chooses to stay in a place that is probably fairly comfortable for him

I believe the team will be significantly better next year. there are a lot of freshman and RS freshman players on the roster who should have a chance to be good players after getting some time to develop. WK, Mors, and Barnhart are all sophomores who also should continue to improve

maybe i am wrong, but if Zeke returns, i dont think any other summit team will return 3 players as experienced and accomplished as Mayo, WK, and Kalen, obviously the other two are far ahead of Kalen, but i expect him to have a very good year next year
    I'm excited to see what Joe Sayler brings to the table after redshirting.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I'm excited to see what Joe Sayler brings to the table after redshirting.
      FOR SURE!! i am too! I am excited about a lot of the young guards. we lose obviously 2 players for sure, who played a lot of minutes this year. we will also have enough young big guys that I dont think we can guarantee that we play as much with 3 guards next year as we have this year. Zeke could be one guard and Garry, Sayler, TeSlaa, Alvarez, and the two incoming freshman will fight for the other guard spot. i feel like i could be forgetting someone?

anyway i think all the players in that group have reasons for us to be excited to see what they can do!! who of the young big guys could play the 3? Kraft maybe? I feel like Wilkinson is definitely not going to play the 3, Barnhart? probably no. Whorton? probably no. Hastrieter? can Mors find his shooting touch in the offseason and force his way into the starting 5

if none of those can play the 3 then we will stick with 3 guards

I was not trying to say none of those players were exciting. I am excited about all of them. I just meant that Mayo and WK should be preseason first team next year and Garry got a lot of valuable experience this year. obviously Barnhart and Mors also got experience, but Garry has played more minutes than those two combined

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i do not believe it is insulting and i definitely do not intend it to be, when i say, that he is not as good a player as Scheireman or Abmas the two best perimeter players to leave the league in recent seasons. if it is safe to believe that bigger schools see the same thing, then he will probably not have options that are equal to the options that those two had? if that is correct, perhaps he chooses to stay in a place that is probably fairly comfortable for him

I believe the team will be significantly better next year. there are a lot of freshman and RS freshman players on the roster who should have a chance to be good players after getting some time to develop. WK, Mors, and Barnhart are all sophomores who also should continue to improve

maybe i am wrong, but if Zeke returns, i dont think any other summit team will return 3 players as experienced and accomplished as Mayo, WK, and Kalen, obviously the other two are far ahead of Kalen, but i expect him to have a very good year next year
        Plus, Jacks will have Barnhart and Mors.

Not to look too far ahead, but I'm also curious to see who endeavors to take on Easley's and Mims' defensive roles. Garry has shown flashes of that

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Plus, Jacks will have Barnhart and Mors.

Not to look too far ahead, but I'm also curious to see who endeavors to take on Easley's and Mims' defensive roles. Garry has shown flashes of that
          Defense will need to be a prerequisite for the position. Garry does move his feet well to keep the body in place. If the coaches decide to add a forward to the 3, Mors could be another choice. Bubz looked OK for a few minutes of relief, but he will need to lift his defense. Meanwhile, I would like to see all the Jackrabbits continue improvement on the close out for 3 pt shooters this season.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I think Mayo is getting shortchanged. Appel might give him a run at times, but no one on the team is as capable as Mayo of creating an open shot for himself or a teammate. Mayo has quite a few turnovers, but no one on the team handles the ball as much as he does, either. Mors and Barnhard need to become more significant offensive threats if they're going to become big-time contributors. Mors, in particular, has a pass-first mentality. He passes up too many potential shot opportunities.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Tend to agree with you on Mayo, its what appears as sulking at times that tends to shortchange him with fans I think. As far as Mors, he is a very good and willing shooter, but it hasnt shown up this year, and thus has a very short leash, a spiraling effect of miss a shot and get pulled, so... that leads to passing up shots and contributing in other ways. I really suspect he needs to contribute other than spotted up on the perimeter all the time to cure that, but given their line up with Appel taking that role, he really doesnt have a place to go. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                I think Mayo is getting shortchanged. Appel might give him a run at times, but no one on the team is as capable as Mayo of creating an open shot for himself or a teammate. Mayo has quite a few turnovers, but no one on the team handles the ball as much as he does, either. Mors and Barnhard need to become more significant offensive threats if they're going to become big-time contributors. Mors, in particular, has a pass-first mentality. He passes up too many potential shot opportunities.
                Mayo is a bit of an enigma to me. He's great at creating shots for himself and is one of the best we've ever had in that regard. I'm not so sure he's great at creating for others. He leads the team in assists, but his assist to TO ratio is pretty bad. You compare Mayo's numbers in that stat to Baylor or Nate and he's way behind. Maybe Mayo's number are skewed because of the people around him. We have several guys that are pretty one-dimensional on the offensive end.

I'm curious if this team would benefit from Mayo playing off the ball a little more and let Charley initiate the offense more.

Comment

I watched the last few minutes and OT again of the Omaha game. It was the Zeke Mayo show on the offense. Others were key on defense and Mims had a clutch 3pt shot. The 10 points by Zeke in OT were smooth. Fidler was getting shots, but he seemed to expect to get to the foul line to score as his shots were way off as if he was planning on the refs calling fouls. The end of regulation and OT the Jackrabbits discovered some urgency and intensity that seem to disappear at times. It was a great road victory.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

If your the other team scouting us is there anyone other than Zeke your worried about scoring. I think not. Look at the attention Zeke attracts. Our other players get shots because of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      If your the other team scouting us is there anyone other than Zeke your worried about scoring. I think not. Look at the attention Zeke attracts. Our other players get shots because of him.
                      That may be why Appel has had early game success recently.

Comment

• FAREWELL FROST ARENA!

Purchase a ticket for ANY of the remaining events in Frost Arena at a discounted rate! There is limited availability for each event & purchases can only be made online at GoJacks.com/PromoCode (code = FAREWELLFROST).

REMAINING EVENTS:
                        Thursday, February 22 » Men's Basketball vs Denver at 7pm
                        Saturday, February 24 » Men's Basketball vs St. Thomas at 2pm*
                        Sunday, February 25 » Wrestling vs North Dakota State at 2pm*
                        Thursday, February 29 » Women's Basketball vs North Dakota at 7pm
                        Saturday, March 2 » Women's Basketball vs North Dakota State at 2pm*

Comment

• Since I only get to one live game a year. This was the mirror image of last year's loss to emerging OVC power WIU. Both losing teams were short on bench and ran out of steam in OT. Zeke Mayo made the difference down the stretch. When he get's going, change can happen.

Comment

• Zeke Mayo is special, and yes he makes mistakes, but he's our best hope at making things happen one on one.
                            (or getting help to commit to open up other guys)
                            WKIII is just so good, man. He would start on every team in the Summit League.
                            Charlie is great, and has been overlooked for much of his time. But remember the last run to the tournament two years ago... It was Charlie and then Zeke who hit the 2 "clutch" shots to send us to the NCAA.

We have a team good enough to win the conference tournament.
                            Let's get behind them the rest of the way... if they can win these final 4 SL games, they'll be the #1 seed, and they'll have a little momentum.

Honestly, with a neutral site, and the Jackrabbit faithful in attendance... as well as the experience of our squad, we SHOULD be the favorites. (no matter what seed we end up)

Comment

• Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                              Zeke Mayo is special, and yes he makes mistakes, but he's our best hope at making things happen one on one.
                              (or getting help to commit to open up other guys)
                              WKIII is just so good, man. He would start on every team in the Summit League.
                              Charlie is great, and has been overlooked for much of his time. But remember the last run to the tournament two years ago... It was Charlie and then Zeke who hit the 2 "clutch" shots to send us to the NCAA.

We have a team good enough to win the conference tournament.
                              Let's get behind them the rest of the way... if they can win these final 4 SL games, they'll be the #1 seed, and they'll have a little momentum.

Honestly, with a neutral site, and the Jackrabbit faithful in attendance... as well as the experience of our squad, we SHOULD be the favorites. (no matter what seed we end up)
                              Winning the regular season championship has added value with St. Thomas being a legitimate contender to win the tournament. If that would happen, the regular season champ would receive the auto-bid to the Big Dance since the Tommies are not yet eligible.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Winning the regular season championship has added value with St. Thomas being a legitimate contender to win the tournament. If that would happen, the regular season champ would receive the auto-bid to the Big Dance since the Tommies are not yet eligible.
                                True, and you are right... they are real contenders, no doubt about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X