GDT: bison vs Jackrabbits[Blue Out game] 7pm Frost Arena SLN/Midco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I'd have to think Garry would be sought after by multiple Summit opponents, as would Kyle. Barnhart has also shown flashes.

I don't know enough about basketball to even speculate about what the issue is with Appel's regression, perhaps there are lingering effects from injuries?

I'm not ready to say this team lacks overall talent compared to Jacks teams throughout history, but their struggles with 3pt defense are aggravating. My hope is that Mims' return to form will correct some of that
    i wont try to rephrase, but the comments did not perfectly relay my point. for sure Garry would be wanted. he is on the path to a very good Jacks career and potentially more. obviously we lose Charlie and MM for next year and i would guess there is a solid chance Zeke chooses another school for his final year (not making any guarantees. time will tell) one way or another there are going to be plenty of back court minutes to be absorbed. kalen will be first in line to take those minutes and i expect he grabs them, takes advantage, and takes big steps forward. i also think that one or some combination of Alvarez, TeSlaa, Sayler, or the two incoming guards will show plenty of promise next year

main point was that we have very high expectations for Jacks MBB and i dont believe that this team has the same level of talent as any of our D1 conference champion teams. I think Garry compares fine to where Baylor or Nate were as freshman, but nobody on this team is where Nate was as a junior and senior, or Deondre, or George Marshall. Nobody is where Baylor was two years ago. I think we even underestimate how good Alex Arians was. I LOVE Charlie- gonna be one of my all time favorites and one of the hardest working players i can ever remember. Charlie is VERY valuable and gets the job done in his way, but Alex started for a year as a power forward and another year as the main point guard. Charlie is not going to guard anybodys power forward for more then a possession here and there without getting badly taken advantage of

all of it was motivated by the comment about Hendo getting out coached. i actually think it is a compliment NOT ONLY to Hendo but also to the team. they are absolutely not getting it done with overwhelming talent... ala what ORU had last year. we have lost 11 games- 4 of those by 3 pts or less. another loss by 5. the first 4 of those 5 losses were on the road. the other one of course was last night. several other of the losses were very competitive, even the 20 point loss to denver was competitive for a lot of the game. we have a nice team and they play hard. but they are not overwhelming opponents with amazing talent.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I'd have to think Garry would be sought after by multiple Summit opponents, as would Kyle. Barnhart has also shown flashes.

I don't know enough about basketball to even speculate about what the issue is with Appel's regression, perhaps there are lingering effects from injuries?

I'm not ready to say this team lacks overall talent compared to Jacks teams throughout history, but their struggles with 3pt defense are aggravating. My hope is that Mims' return to form will correct some of that
      like i said, i did not see the first half. did we give a bunch of uncontested 3s during the bad stretch in the first half?

against ORU, i thought we were pretty solid, except for a horrible job of helping way too far off of Weaver too often for the first 30 minutes of the game. i dont think he hit a 3 in the final 10-12 minutes. Bedford hit 4 of 6 from three but i thought he was well guarded. thompson and mcbride were well guarded. thompson was held in check and mcbride did almost all his damage at the FT line

have to remember that we are the BEST team in the league at opposition FG%
      part of that is calculated helping on the perimeter to take away drives. also clogging the lane to give posts less room to operate. the calculation is we dont want teams to be comfortable in the paint. BUT we are still supposed to be able to recover and contest 3s

a week ago we had one conference loss and the calculation was paying off. have other teams scouted out a weakness to take advantage? do we need to recalculate? time will tell i guess

also remember Noah 6'3, Nate 6'3+, Alex A 6'4, Baylor 6'6+, Jake 6'4, Brayden 6'4
      longer guards can contest with length. it has been a while since we played as many minutes as we are playing now with two players on the floor 6'2 or under

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

like i said, i did not see the first half. did we give a bunch of uncontested 3s during the bad stretch in the first half?

against ORU, i thought we were pretty solid, except for a horrible job of helping way too far off of Weaver too often for the first 30 minutes of the game. i dont think he hit a 3 in the final 10-12 minutes. Bedford hit 4 of 6 from three but i thought he was well guarded. thompson and mcbride were well guarded. thompson was held in check and mcbride did almost all his damage at the FT line

have to remember that we are the BEST team in the league at opposition FG%
        part of that is calculated helping on the perimeter to take away drives. also clogging the lane to give posts less room to operate. the calculation is we dont want teams to be comfortable in the paint. BUT we are still supposed to be able to recover and contest 3s

a week ago we had one conference loss and the calculation was paying off. have other teams scouted out a weakness to take advantage? do we need to recalculate? time will tell i guess

also remember Noah 6'3, Nate 6'3+, Alex A 6'4, Baylor 6'6+, Jake 6'4, Brayden 6'4
        longer guards can contest with length. it has been a while since we played as many minutes as we are playing now with two players on the floor 6'2 or under
        I think this team misses Arians more than we realize. Great rebounder and able to defend any position from 1-4. And a calming influence on the offensive end.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I think this team misses Arians more than we realize. Great rebounder and able to defend any position from 1-4. And a calming influence on the offensive end.
          Maybe true, but someone needs to step up. This isn't a young team. I don't have any knowledge, but I wonder if there isn't some "power struggles" going on inside that locker room.

Looking at stats Appel is 2nd on the team in TO's and 5th in minutes.

Zeke has almost twice as many TO's at Appel. His assist/TO ratio is 1.17. Nate and Baylor both had assist/TO ratios over 2.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Maybe true, but someone needs to step up. This isn't a young team. I don't have any knowledge, but I wonder if there isn't some "power struggles" going on inside that locker room.

Looking at stats Appel is 2nd on the team in TO's and 5th in minutes.

Zeke has almost twice as many TO's at Appel. His assist/TO ratio is 1.17. Nate and Baylor both had assist/TO ratios over 2.
            Something just seems off with this team. That’s all I got.

Comment

he is definitely one of the most underrated Jacks that i can think of. scoring was streaky probably for a variety of reasons. one being he was always a team first guy who played with teammates who were great scorers- Daum, plus he deferred to every other player on that team being a freshman playing with basically all seniors, Wilson, Friedel, Scheierman, Zeke

he could do everything on a basketball floor very well. seriously how many guys can say they started for an entire season as a power forward and almost all of another season as the point guard? and did both very well!!

We have been blessed with SO SO MANY amazing players over the years!! obviously AA would not be on my all time starting 5 and little chance in the top ten, but he is one of my all time favorite players. he was a great teammate and made every team he was on better!! it would have been great if we could have kept him around for a few more years but i guess we need to be happy we were able to have him here for 6 years)))

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post

The sense of continuous urgency during the game. Those gaps create those brain farts and other careless play. The ability of the players is there. The talent is not lacking.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

and Dentlinger is in the same conversation! he was awesome last year and he was also awesome in Hendo's first year. Douglas and Dent played so incredibly well together!! the post to post passing was such pretty basketball to watch!!

we are very blessed that he stuck around through getting demoted when we went so guard heavy in Hendo's second year. He obviously does not have the physical gifts WK has but he is easily more talented than any of our other bigs this year. that said, he did sit for a year(so did Daum). we have a lot of posts sitting this year. i think there is reason to believe that at least one, hopefully more, of them end up being difference makers for us!

Comment

Agree, they don't seem right, much of the time, while at times, they play great. Not sure which team they are.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

The sense of continuous urgency during the game. Those gaps create those brain farts and other careless play. The ability of the players is there. The talent is not lacking.
                      interesting OH. i respect that you have that opinion!! i hope you are right and i am wrong and we see it show more and more through the end of the season!!

i think there is talent on the roster. i think there are some young guys who could be very good or more before they finish, but they are still figuring it out

i am NOT trying to be insulting!! MontanaRabbit compared Zeke to Nate and Baylor. i do not think it is an insult to say that i believe they are better players. that DOES NOT mean Zeke is a bad player. it just means in a comparison to two of the best guards we have ever had he falls a little short

and i do think brain farts is a solid description. dont have a solid reason for their occurences!!

beyond direct comparisons of Zeke, Nate, Baylor, etc..

Nate played with Sargeant and the Callahans as a young player. as an older player he played with Fiegen, Dykstra, B Carlson, White (ALL over 1000 pt scorers and tops in several other categories)

Baylor played with Doug, AA, Dent, Noah (some of the time) with Zeke and Charlie and MM as supporting players

is there really any question that Nate played with a much stronger all around team? i dont think there is a question, but that is just my view and if others see it different, i hope i am proven wrong!! the overall talent gap is less from Baylors group but there is nobody on this roster who holds a candle to Douglas and the uniqueness and special talent of AA has already been discussed

Comment

Yep...been saying it for awhile now. The pieces just don't fit together. I actually think it goes A LOT deeper than that...
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                        X