X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

69-65 ORU is your final.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Too many turnovers where we got our pockets picked by help defenders. Would have liked to see Dent get the ball down low more after Vanover went out with 4 fouls.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        69-65 ORU is your final.
        Guess now it's time to "grin and Cocaine Bear it."

Comment

Hats off to ORU for a great game to end the era of the “old” Frost. Bummer we couldn’t pull it out but I’m really excited for the SLT and hope we see a rematch of today in the finals.

Comment

ORU is certainly a great team, beatable, and in the end, the conference bid comes down to the tourney. Will be fun to see these two teams next week!

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
              How that's a foul on Easley is beyond me
              I thought there were a lot of rather invisible fouls called both ways. there were some calls against the jacks i definitely hated, but we have less than zero room to complain about the calls today. at least 2 of the 4 fouls on Vanover were invisible and some other very questionable calls went in our favor

that said somehow they got to shoot a significantly higher number of FT
              even before the end when we started trying to foul. at one time they were 12 of 14 and we were 5 of 6 and the 7pt difference was the exact difference in the game. i dont have any good theory why they got so many more FT when we were called for less fouls before we started trying to foul

i know the obvious answer is more of our fouls were shooting fouls

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                ORU is pretty good.
                YES they definitely can be!! the talent and depth of talent is impressive Weaver and Mwamba would start for just about every team in the league, maybe including the jacks. McBride and Thompson would be THE GUY on lots of teams!

related note: i think Weaver had only 3pts today and McBride only 6. all on 3s and every one of them huge. i believe all of them in the last 6 minutes maybe less. obviously the TOs were the real difference maker today, but beyond that, i thought those 3 shots by two complimentary players were the game winners

but you can also see that beating the Jacks means a lot to them because they did NOT play this type of defense all year. generally they have relied more on their rim protectors at the back of the defense. today they were really really aggressive in the passing lanes and cutting off penetration and obviously they did not want Zeke to have any comfortable looks from anywhere but most of all from 3

EDIT
                had my head stuck somewhere more than usual. i knew all the starters made double figures so obvioiusly McBride had more than 6, but he only made 3fg for the game all 3s and two of them were late and HUGE
                Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 02-25-2023, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

ORU: NET 44th, AP Poll 28th (14 votes), Coaches Poll 32nd

SDSU WBB: NET 36th, AP Poll 35th (2 votes), Coaches Poll 30th

2022 SDSU men: Warren Nolan lists the final NET as 67th

I threw the SDSU women in there because most assume they would be a lock for an at-large if they lose in the SLT.
                  thank you for the info. i appreciate it!! as i said i had not looked into their rankings

that said i do not agree. i do believe they are talented and showed it today. but their OOC schedule was quite weak. i would even say embarrassingly week for a team that should have had the aspirations for this year that they should

i think they are deeper with talent than our men last year but what they accomplished this year is not the same. their OOC schedule was weak and they did it against a weaker summit lineup, without question. I believe they are getting a bump in attention and in the polls, largely because Max is nationally recognized after leading the nation in scoring as a sophomore

Comment

Gritty, savvy rebound by Easley which also forces another Vanover foul
                    GREAT rebound by Charley and he played tough like that all day!! how about him guarding Vanover 1 on 1 in the post and once getting called for an invisible foul and another time getting Vanover to miss!!

but the foul on Vanover after that board was a figment of the ref's imagination)))

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Too many turnovers where we got our pockets picked by help defenders. Would have liked to see Dent get the ball down low more after Vanover went out with 4 fouls.
                      EXACTLY!!!

agree with you on the TOs
                      and the source of many of them
                      and the need to keep going to Dent in the post

i cannot believe there is any way Dent gets 1st team all summit over Vanover. i know today is just one game, but Dent has been INCREDIBLE coming down the stretch and more than worthy of first team

Comment

Phases of the project were detailed last summer. The second step will begin work on 2nd-level seating once the basketball season is over (20:40 mark).

While they aren't gutting Frost, the seating will be considerably different next season, so we'll have a "'Frist' Bank" hybrid through Summer 2024
                        Understood, but it will still be called Frost Arena until 100% complete. Just like Coughlin was called Coughlin during the entire transition.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

EXACTLY!!!

agree with you on the TOs
                          and the source of many of them
                          and the need to keep going to Dent in the post

i cannot believe there is any way Dent gets 1st team all summit over Vanover. i know today is just one game, but Dent has been INCREDIBLE coming down the stretch and more than worthy of first team
                          For being 7'5, Vanover really isn't a very good defender down low. It seemed to work better making one quick fake and then go up with the shot rather than bumping him a number of times and letting him get set.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post

Understood, but it will still be called Frost Arena until 100% complete. Just like Coughlin was called Coughlin during the entire transition.
                            I'll probably call it Frost until I kick the bucket (or SDSU ice cream carton, in my case)

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

GREAT rebound by Charley and he played tough like that all day!! how about him guarding Vanover 1 on 1 in the post and once getting called for an invisible foul and another time getting Vanover to miss!!

but the foul on Vanover after that board was a figment of the ref's imagination)))
                              One time I missed Newittian commentary

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

For being 7'5, Vanover really isn't a very good defender down low. It seemed to work better making one quick fake and then go up with the shot rather than bumping him a number of times and letting him get set.
                                i dont wanna make too strong of conclusions based on ONLY today. but he definitely did NOT look good today as an individual defender! based on the fact he is averaging almost 3.5 blocks per game (i guess drops a bit after today), which is more than 1.5 more per game than anyone else in the league, we gotta give him some credit as a team or help defender

if he looks like he did today, very often, it is gonna be a bit of a shame if he gets DPOY, but based on the blocks, i almost guarantee you he is gonna win it

Comment

Working...
                                X