No announcement yet.

GDT: SDSU vs #9 Arkansas 7pm @ Bud Walton Arena SEC Network+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, they updated verbiage on flagrant 1 vs 2 fouls.

"A flagrant 1 foul is two shots and the ball and that means excessive in nature or unnecessary or avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play.

A flagrant 2 foul is two shots and the ball and the player is ejected from the game. The rules committee added more words to describe this scenario, including brutal, harsh or cruel or dangerous or punishing."

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post

I think I'd classify my feeling through four games as "uneasiness" with the turnovers, lack of inside out movement (as you've mentioned), and poor shooting. Really poor shooting. It's just really out of sync and I admittedly thought Zeke would be more of the alpha, floor general player thus far. I do certainly expect him to step up and play better basketball this year but I maybe had too high of expectations there. I also think Alex just hasn't played very well either at PG. We've all seen him play better.

We certainly need to temper expectations and understand it's at least some version of rebuild off of last year. But this is a good team that needs to work out some fairly ugly kinks thus far on offense. It just hasn't been pleasant offense to watch the last two nights. Lots of young pieces that will hopefully continue meshing.
      Uneasiness is a good description. The two guys we heavily rely on to take care of the ball have a combined 28 turnovers so far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
        Nice to see the start that Kyle III is having, hopefully he stays for his full 4 years. I'd say they are doing well considering what players the team lost from last year. Arkansas is the real deal, almost like playing a NBA development team.

Right? They have some top shelf length and quickness and they are well coached and playing on their home floor. It seemed like they could have easily doubled us up in points if they really had wanted to. Almost embarrassing to watch at times. The Friedel and BS transfers are really showing up in a bad way when it comes to perimeter offense. We just don't have enough play makers against teams like this.

Comment

AA is a good role player and we he is asked to do too much his weaknesses are exposed.

Comment

Amidst the disappointing numbers for the Jackrabbit guards is the 41-60 FG shooting of the big men Dent, WK3, and Luke. Unfortunately they only account for 30% of the shots, the bigs are producing nicely. Another ray of sunshine is the overall 81% FT shooting on 90 attempts vs opponents shooting only 51. Hendo has a respectable schedule that may not see better numbers until conference when the competition cools some. (We do get a couple of lower division games prior to conference.) The defenses in OOC have been fairly salty as they extend and pressure the guards. The passing must improve and the odds that the coaching notices that fact is likely high. It will be a very long season suffering 19+ turnovers/game. In comparing to last year, the ball movement was much quicker without dribbling around. The spacing that enabled ball movement is not there yet this year. Wide open 3 pt shots are not as frequent as a result and the success on open shots has been dismal. I also am hopeful the bench will be a big plus going forward as the freshmen adapt to this team. Meanwhile we look for daily progress fighting turnovers and poor 3pt shooting.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;n528133]
              Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

For better or worse, the flop warning has been eliminated.
              as soon as i saw this, I DO recall hearing that this year. i no longer am required to go to any rules meetings or take any rules tests, so i obviously did not commit it to memory

so anyway i guess according to the rules there is nothing to be disgusted about. i am, however still incredulous that allowing play to continue means allowing the player with the ball to pass the ball out to the 3 pt line and another player to take a shot. maybe that is correct according to the new rules but then i will just say i definitely disagree with that

is not a major reason to remove flopping player safety? maybe i am wrong about that? but it is definitely not safe to allow play to continue with a player laying almost directly under the basket when you have a pretty good opportunity to stop the play and this to me actually makes a LOT more sense if you now MUST administer technical foul shot / shots EVERY time since there are no longer warnings

anyway i will not go no a lot further, i have stuck my foot in my mouth enough. but this rule is GROSSLY subjective. that is made much more obvious by the calling / not calling events from last night. that, to me, makes it more bothersome that

now we have a very subjective rule and they are going to ADD to that a very subjective expectation about enforcement. the way this is going i am now imagining a game later this year where after the flop the jacks kick the ball out and hit a 3 and the 3 is disallowed because the refs subjectively decide to stop play before the 3 because they think it is unsafe to allow play to continue

so anyway now it boils down to, according to the letter of the rule they did it correctly. we simply have a questionable rule and last night the jacks got hurt on both ends of said subjectivity

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                Amidst the disappointing numbers for the Jackrabbit guards is the 41-60 FG shooting of the big men Dent, WK3, and Luke. Unfortunately they only account for 30% of the shots, the bigs are producing nicely. Another ray of sunshine is the overall 81% FT shooting on 90 attempts vs opponents shooting only 51. Hendo has a respectable schedule that may not see better numbers until conference when the competition cools some. (We do get a couple of lower division games prior to conference.) The defenses in OOC have been fairly salty as they extend and pressure the guards. The passing must improve and the odds that the coaching notices that fact is likely high. It will be a very long season suffering 19+ turnovers/game. In comparing to last year, the ball movement was much quicker without dribbling around. The spacing that enabled ball movement is not there yet this year. Wide open 3 pt shots are not as frequent as a result and the success on open shots has been dismal. I also am hopeful the bench will be a big plus going forward as the freshmen adapt to this team. Meanwhile we look for daily progress fighting turnovers and poor 3pt shooting.
                I recall a preview of season comment by Hendo was something like last season Baylor had the ball in his hands a lot, which led to the rest of the offense not as involved (something like that), perhaps that increased involvement (passing it around so.much), is part of the turnover problem?
                it'll all be fixed when the outside shooters start getting their confidence back.

Comment

[QUOTE=OldHare;n528135]
                  Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

AA has always been streaky from deep. (i absolutely love the kid but with that shot how could he NOT be streaky. DEFINITELY not the way you teach it)

If you want to check the stats for the past 4 years for AA, you will find he has very good numbers overall for FG% & 3Pt%. In his first year, he shot 53% & 37%. In his 2nd season after moving from the 4 spot, he shot 44& & 35%. In year 3, he shot 50% & 44%. In year 4, he shot 48% & 49%. AA's shot may irritate you, but the numbers indicate more steady shooting than "streaky" unless I have a different view of streaky.
                  In the past season, the refs usually waited for play to finish on the flops as they would make the indication when the player flopped. That was on the warning for the first team flop. I cannot recall what happened to play for the 2nd infraction which resulted in the technical.
                  i am definitely not irritated with AA shot. i hope i can do this without making you more irritated with me, but i probably will fail at that. i probably failed already. all i said is his shot is DEFINITELY not the way you would teach it and that is UNQUESTIONABLY TRUE. any shooting coach who taught that shot would be immediately out of work! but it is obviously effective for AA. i have given my philosophy on this so i will not repeat it here but you are 100% correct his final numbers are extremely respectable so i while i am amused and amazed by his shot i would ABSOLUTELY NOT attempt to change it

streaky is probably a terrible word to use but it is the word that is often used. terrible because, actually, i would say almost every shooter is streaky so it is really a word that makes zero distinction between one shooter and another. so i apologize for using it here. i think i will just leave it at that because i dont think you want to hear any more from me about it

if i am wrong i will be happy to explain more if you wish but i do not expect you to ask for further explanation

i will simply say this. we are 4 games into this year. AA has not had a good shooting 3pt shooting game yet. not sure about his overall FG%. i could obviously look but it is probably in line with his normal numbers. but he has not shot well yet from 3. correct? he has therefore been on a cold streak from 3. later he will probably have a game where he goes 4 of 4, etc... and ultimately he will end up with his normalish numbers. that is the most likely scenario

again streaky give almost no distinction (so going forward on this forum i will try to be more accurate in my description and use streaky less) but at least when i use it it DOES NOT mean that he ends up with a terrible percentage. then he would just be a BAD shooter not a streaky one

sidenote. i believe you have knowledge of the game. therefore i believe you KNOW that his shooting style is unorthodox. if you do not, no biggie, but i am DEFINITELY not the only person who realizes this. i do not recall hearing Tyler M comment about anyone's shooting style before, but recently even Tyler described it as unique but effective

i am not irritated with it in the least!!! and was NEVER a coach who tried to require all of his players to shoot a certain way (or technically correct) i just find it interesting. but definitely not the way anyone with knowledge would teach it

Comment

RELAX Jackrabbit Nation!

This is going to take some time to get everyone in rhythm.
                    - We lost two of the best to ever suit of for the Jacks in Wilson and Scheirmann. Put Freidel in there or not.
                    - Appel is just seeing his first action of the year.
                    - Arkansas is ranked #9 in the country with all those players for a reason. That team is going to be a problem come March! They will make a lot of teams look bad this year! Arguably their best player was out!
                    - We have some very talented players that are getting used to playing the college level
                    - Denlinger's play is a major reason for optimism!

I give the coaches credit for putting together probably the most challenging non-conference schedule in recent memory. We have played four very good teams and are 2-2 even with all of the new players and Appel out.

At the end of the day, what matters is how we do in conference and ultimately winning the Summit League Tourney to get back to the NCAA Tournament. With a starting lineup of Mayo, Arians, Easley, Dentlinger, and Kyle, that leaves Appel, Mors, Mims, Te Slaa, and Lien coming off the bench. That is arguable as deep as we've been for a while. You could certainly Appel and maybe others vyng for starting or significant minutes. That lineup works in the Summit League.

We've been very spoiled for a while. This team will take a bit to come together and it will. The great thing is we are a young team and will have this talent around for a while!

On to the next! Oh, and someone give Broden Lien a hug!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The Jacks were a mess last night, but if you watched much of tonight’s NDSU/ISUb game or the first half of the USD/Mississippi St game you might have some perspective. Neither was playing a top-25 team, nor a ridiculous 2nd straight night. NDSU gave up 101 in a game that was over 5:00 in and USD has only scored 15 at the half.

It’s that time of year unless you happen to have a couple superstars.

Comment

Arkansas beats Louisville 80-54. Not a good day for the Cardinals.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Arkansas beats Louisville 80-54. Not a good day for the Cardinals.
                          they are gonna make life unpleasant for plenty of good teams

Comment

RahRahRabbits mentioned the Arkansas/Creighton game in the Baylor thread. Good game tied at 53 with 13:40 left in the second. Arkansas bench just got called for a technical, and Musselman was obviously heated so it was fun to see him being held back by two coaches a foot and a half taller than him.
                            Creighton bench has 7 points over the past two games.

edit: score update 72-71 Creighton 5 minutes left
                            Last edited by peavy; 11-22-2022, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
                              RahRahRabbits mentioned the Arkansas/Creighton game in the Baylor thread. Good game tied at 53 with 13:40 left in the second. Arkansas bench just got called for a technical, and Musselman was obviously heated so it was fun to see him being held back by two coaches a feet and a half taller than him.
                              What a perfect fit for the former USeD coach, fits right in with "foam at the mouth" Musselman

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
                                RahRahRabbits mentioned the Arkansas/Creighton game in the Baylor thread. Good game tied at 53 with 13:40 left in the second. Arkansas bench just got called for a technical, and Musselman was obviously heated so it was fun to see him being held back by two coaches a foot and a half taller than him.

edit: score update 72-71 Creighton 5 minutes left
                                Creighton wins 90-87, improving to 6-0. Baylor played 39 minutes, with 20 points and a tied-for-game-leading 7 rebounds. Not many bench minutes played in the game, Creighton had 4 guys combine for 3 points and 25 total minutes off the bench. Arkansas had only two come off the bench, but that includes Brazile, who played for 32 minutes and scored 17. We found out first hand is very deserving of a starting spot. Tightly contested game throughout the 2nd half.

Creighton has two tough games of #14 Arizona and #4 Texas coming up. After that, they would be certainly capable of running the table through the rest of OOC and Big East play. Arkansas has much stiffer competition coming up still and throughout the year, they'll likely have a worse record coming to the end of the year, but should be far more battle-tested. Will be neat to see how the year unfolds for both teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X