Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ringthebells
    replied
    Good for Baylor. I like when good things happen to good people. I'm glad SDSU was a major part of getting him to that level of success.

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied
    Baylor bet on himself when he left saying to himself I can play against anybody. He could of taken the easy path and stayed and dominated here. I admire him for going big.

Leave a comment:

• wcbsas
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

Yes, i realize that is an opinion that you share with plenty of people. and that is why this scenario is disappointing to me. really, I am happy for Baylor, but people who believe what you believe and what I think Baylor believed are going to use his story to validate what they believe

if what you are saying is true, then what about Max Abmas? Kevin O Banner? Mooney? Umude?

WHAT is the evidence that playing at Creighton moved him up even one pick? he scored just over 1100 points at both schools. likely if he stays in brookings, he scores closer to 1500 pts in his final 2 years. either way, playing at SDSU and scoring a bit more and making it to 1 or 2 more ncaa and maybe winning a game OR playing 2 years at Creighton and winning 5 games in 2 years in the tournament, the nba has the same report on him today that they had 2 or 3 years ago-
    good perimeter shooter with extensive range
    good passer- sees the floor
    team player- positive intangibles
    lacking athleticism, will struggle to guard NBA perimeter players

he did not change the report one letter by playing at Creighton. same as the others, the NBA knew that Abmas was too small when he was at ORU and they knew it when he was at UT. they knew OBanner was too small at ORU and same at Texas Tech

can you give me something that offers proof that transferring moved him up in the draft? to me it seems like Abmas, O Banner, Mooney, Umude, and Konchar are proof that players do not need to transfer to improve their draft hope or position. i am curious how you can prove that transferring moved someone higher in the draft?

as far as going to the Celtics / a good team where he will have little or no pressure to perform immediately? yes that is nice. that is an advantage of getting drafted at the end of a round instead of the beginning, of course you also get paid a lot less when you get drafted there. but nothing about that has anything to do with the conversation about transferring. the 30th pick and the 31st pick makes NO difference for the conversation about the value of transferring, BUT one spot puts a player on a winning team and the other spot puts a player on a building team

regardless of what my position is or yours or anyones, congratulations to Baylor. he has his foot in the door and a chance to play in the best hoops league in the world. time will tell what happens with that chance
    It’s funny that you think that EVALUATORS don’t consider things like competition level. Dalton Knect fell a dozen spots because evaluators think he’s too old at 23.

Player evaluations are dependent on people’s perspectives. It’s opinion. It’s biases. You cannot suggest that an NBA evaluator or two or twenty did not like Baylor more because he was successful against UConn versus ORU. There are way too many people starting with players themselves that believe that the level of competition is important.

Schiermann played deeper into the NCAA than any Summit team. Schiermann showed off his wares against several highly ranked collegiate teams. The level of competition matters.

I suspect if we took a poll on this board that stated … do you believe BS would have been drafted 30th by the Celtics if he would’ve stayed with the Jacks his entire career that over 90% of us would state … “no, he would’ve slid into round 2.” It’s not because he would’ve been a significantly different player, it would have simply been that he evaluated more cautiously by the NBA evaluators.

Leave a comment:

• HoboJack
    replied
    FWIW, John Konchar went undrafted in the 2019 NBA draft. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Konchar

Nate Wolters did not get drafted in the first round, despite better overall #’s to Baylor. Similar concerns exist about both players - will the efficiency they had in college translate when consistently playing against elite caliber athletes in the NBA. Baylor helped himself by proving he could not only compete, but stand out consistently going against higher level competition.

The difference in being the 30th pick in the draft, and being the 31st pick in the draft is huge. First round picks get minimum of 2 years of fully guaranteed money on their contract, 2nd round picks don’t. Between NIL and NBA contract Baylor will be Millions of dollars ahead of where he would likely have been if he stayed.

That’s not to say it will work out for others who make the same move. They have to prove they can not only compete, but excel. There is a reason the draft is full of 18-21 year olds that haven’t finished college. They are evaluated on how their traits project forward more so than past results. If you have elite athletic traits (Ja Morant), it won’t matter who you played against in college. If you don’t, then you will either have to prove it in college, or try the hard way - late draft pick/UDFA - summer league => GLeague => short term FA => 2-way contracts. John Konchar’s story could have movie written for how rare it is. Any suggestion that it is normal is absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

I’m sure playing at Creighton against Big East competition validates his ability in a way that wasn’t going to be validated in the Summit Likely it’s the difference between a round 1 and round 2 pick.

He also goes onto a roster where he doesn’t have to play right away and. Year from now replaces Sam Hauser as a rotational player.
    Yes, i realize that is an opinion that you share with plenty of people. and that is why this scenario is disappointing to me. really, I am happy for Baylor, but people who believe what you believe and what I think Baylor believed are going to use his story to validate what they believe

if what you are saying is true, then what about Max Abmas? Kevin O Banner? Mooney? Umude?

WHAT is the evidence that playing at Creighton moved him up even one pick? he scored just over 1100 points at both schools. likely if he stays in brookings, he scores closer to 1500 pts in his final 2 years. either way, playing at SDSU and scoring a bit more and making it to 1 or 2 more ncaa and maybe winning a game OR playing 2 years at Creighton and winning 5 games in 2 years in the tournament, the nba has the same report on him today that they had 2 or 3 years ago-
    good perimeter shooter with extensive range
    good passer- sees the floor
    team player- positive intangibles
    lacking athleticism, will struggle to guard NBA perimeter players

he did not change the report one letter by playing at Creighton. same as the others, the NBA knew that Abmas was too small when he was at ORU and they knew it when he was at UT. they knew OBanner was too small at ORU and same at Texas Tech

can you give me something that offers proof that transferring moved him up in the draft? to me it seems like Abmas, O Banner, Mooney, Umude, and Konchar are proof that players do not need to transfer to improve their draft hope or position. i am curious how you can prove that transferring moved someone higher in the draft?

as far as going to the Celtics / a good team where he will have little or no pressure to perform immediately? yes that is nice. that is an advantage of getting drafted at the end of a round instead of the beginning, of course you also get paid a lot less when you get drafted there. but nothing about that has anything to do with the conversation about transferring. the 30th pick and the 31st pick makes NO difference for the conversation about the value of transferring, BUT one spot puts a player on a winning team and the other spot puts a player on a building team

regardless of what my position is or yours or anyones, congratulations to Baylor. he has his foot in the door and a chance to play in the best hoops league in the world. time will tell what happens with that chance

Leave a comment:

• wcbsas
    replied

I am happy for him too!! but i DO NOT believe that his story validates the thinking that he or any other player needs to leave the Jacks for a bigger school to get drafted. I think that there is every possibility that Baylor would have been drafted in the same place had he finished his career with the Jacks.

Mooney transferred and made it to the NCAA final game and did not get drafted
    Umude did not get drafted
    Konchar stayed at IPFW and did get drafted

I could go on. we will see if Abmas gets his name called today? i have not payed enough attention. i cannot even say what the expectation is for him. he is awfully small. no matter if he is drafted or not, he is a borderline NBA player- exactly the same as everyone mentioned here, including Baylor and that is exactly what all of them were when they were playing in the Summit league

i am happy for Baylor. i truly am!! i cheered hard for him and his CU mates to make the final 4 last year and was sad to see their year cut a little short this year!! but nothing that happened at CU made the NBA think more of him than they did when he was a Jackrabbit. the NBA knows who the best players in the world are. it makes no difference if they play in the Summit or at Creighton or Texas or T Tech, etc...
    I’m sure playing at Creighton against Big East competition validates his ability in a way that wasn’t going to be validated in the Summit Likely it’s the difference between a round 1 and round 2 pick.

He also goes onto a roster where he doesn’t have to play right away and. Year from now replaces Sam Hauser as a rotational player.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    Very happy for him!
    I am happy for him too!! but i DO NOT believe that his story validates the thinking that he or any other player needs to leave the Jacks for a bigger school to get drafted. I think that there is every possibility that Baylor would have been drafted in the same place had he finished his career with the Jacks.

Mooney transferred and made it to the NCAA final game and did not get drafted
    Umude did not get drafted
    Konchar stayed at IPFW and did get drafted

I could go on. we will see if Abmas gets his name called today? i have not payed enough attention. i cannot even say what the expectation is for him. he is awfully small. no matter if he is drafted or not, he is a borderline NBA player- exactly the same as everyone mentioned here, including Baylor and that is exactly what all of them were when they were playing in the Summit league

i am happy for Baylor. i truly am!! i cheered hard for him and his CU mates to make the final 4 last year and was sad to see their year cut a little short this year!! but nothing that happened at CU made the NBA think more of him than they did when he was a Jackrabbit. the NBA knows who the best players in the world are. it makes no difference if they play in the Summit or at Creighton or Texas or T Tech, etc...

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied
    Very happy for him!

Leave a comment:

• DieselJacks
    replied
    Baylor Scheierman has been selected by the reigning champion Boston Celtics in the 1st round. Never had a problem with him leaving, as it was to a team closer to home, and it legitimately helped him make the jump to the pros (I feel similarly with Zeke Mayo. Thanks for the great years in Brookings, Baylor, and best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• jbjack
    replied
    Last pick in the first round. You can go anywhere from here.

Leave a comment:

• RochJack69
    replied
    Baylor was not the first Jackrabbit to hop off to Creighton. Steve Jansa played on the Jackrabbit's freshman team 64-65, before transferring to Creighton. He was by far the premier player on the freshman team. Freshman were not eligible then.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    I would be remiss if I didn't contribute to further non-Baylor drift and express hope that Rohde transfers to a team on Jacks' home schedule to allow a max of two scoops of free Rocky Rohde-flavored ice cream for every missed FT
    it has been previously established that ANY conversation from you about ice cream is not considered thread drift))!! is discussion of potential teammates for said former rabbit grossly egregious drifting?? i would say this whole thread possibly / probably no longer belongs under the category of SDSU MBB but i feel we are still within range of the given topic

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    I would be remiss if I didn't contribute to further non-Baylor drift and express hope that Rohde transfers to a team on Jacks' home schedule to allow a max of two scoops of free Rocky Rohde-flavored ice cream for every missed FT

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

YES YESSSS
    both of those make sense to me too

but do we have ANY real reason to think he wants that?? some kids want to be closer to home and some want to have a bit of distance. i have no idea what is true in Rohde case?? i do feel like he is a very very smooth fit into McDermott style

as far as i know UW is still a bit of defense first program but i have not paid them much attention for a while so that could be wrong. and i dont know anything about what Marquette does either.

on one hand i think a long guard who shoots well and has a very solid all around game can play pretty much any place, BUT i also think that Baylor had a good year because he went to the absolute perfect spot for him and i think Rohde would be pretty much the same situation
    Not sure if the Catholic affiliation was a reason why Rohde chose St.Thomas, but if it was Creighton and Marquette could have a leg up.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
    Both Wisconsin and Marquette have expressed interest … he’s a Wisconsin kid who I suspect wants to return home.
    YES YESSSS
    both of those make sense to me too

but do we have ANY real reason to think he wants that?? some kids want to be closer to home and some want to have a bit of distance. i have no idea what is true in Rohde case?? i do feel like he is a very very smooth fit into McDermott style

as far as i know UW is still a bit of defense first program but i have not paid them much attention for a while so that could be wrong. and i dont know anything about what Marquette does either.

on one hand i think a long guard who shoots well and has a very solid all around game can play pretty much any place, BUT i also think that Baylor had a good year because he went to the absolute perfect spot for him and i think Rohde would be pretty much the same situation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X