Hendo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
    Hendo’s got 4 young kids … all middle school or younger. He can stay here and remain successful and secure an opportunity when the timing and opportunity is more attractive.
    The pessimist in me says that also could mean the timing is good for a move -- before his kids get into high school. But I sure hope he sticks around.
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post

The pessimist in me says that also could mean the timing is good for a move -- before his kids get into high school. But I sure hope he sticks around.
      And if it doesnt work out, then your moving them again in 3 years......
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        https://chicagonewsjournal.com/break...ketball-coach/

He’s currently on the media’s list for the Illinois St job. I’m sure there are more - and there will definitely be soon.
        Illinois State is expected to name Ohio State assistant Ryan Pedon as their new coach per Matt Norlander of CBS Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Another great year, another round of "Is the coach leaving?"

A couple of key points.

1. Pay is a huge factor. That is what makes it not a lateral move. Yes, the competition may be lateral but getting a long-term deal of 5+ years worth $200-400k more than your current job make it way more than a lateral move. Now, I agree that you have to balance the $$$,$$$ with everything else involved.
          2.Nagy got a big pay raise, a long-term deal. and moved close to home.

The only way to get out of this cycle really comes down to us as fans and boosters. If the team on the floor is strong and we want to keep the coach, we need to pay them to stay. That requires booster money and butts in the seats paying for season tickets. Averaging 2,000 fans a game doesn't get it done.

Hendo may very well stay here a long time because he and his family love the entire situation. And the situation at SDSU is a very good one. Coaches like Nagy, Stig, and AJ wouldn't stay 20+ years if it wasn't. But, if he leaves someday, it will be highly likely that more money is a big part of making another situation better.

I hope he stays for his whole career. We will be fine if he doesn't.

SUPERBUNNY
          Huge agreement with basically the entire post. NOT that you or anyone needs that) haha!!!!

Nagy did get a BIG pay raise but i do think the closer to home was the key. obviously he had other chances to move and at least some if not all of them offered more pay. some were also closer to home. dont know why he moved when he did and rejected some of the others?? and it does not matter. really REALLY loved having him as our coach and thankful for everything he did. i will ALWAYS wish him the best and cheer for his teams against everyone except the jacks

Most of the time but not always money is the biggest factor or close to it. that said, basically EVERY job is going to offer more money. i would think they would almost not even get an interview without offering more. but it is often the OTHER factors that make the difference

and yes we have had success with pretty much EVERY coach in my lifetime so yes we will absolutely be fine if hendo goes. but i also hope he stays for a long LONG time, because i have so much respect for him as a human being. i love it that he cares about the small things and the people who many would not think about!!!! i love it that he always seems so dang happy! very easy to see why his players would love, respect, and play hard for him

Comment

Hendo should hold out for a P5 type job. He’s that good. Hope he does and I’ll immediately be a fan of that team. Give Nebraska one more year of failure. He literally could take the same team and same recruits as he has been bringing in now at SDSU and be much better than Nebraska has been. Also seems he does well recruiting around that area.

Great posts though on factors such as pay that have a huge impact on these decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

https://wscwildcats.com/news/2020/11...henderson.aspx
              This article claims home state for Hendo is Iowa.
              It is.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                Hendo should hold out for a P5 type job. He’s that good. Hope he does and I’ll immediately be a fan of that team. Give Nebraska one more year of failure. He literally could take the same team and same recruits as he has been bringing in now at SDSU and be much better than Nebraska has been. Also seems he does well recruiting around that area.

Great posts though on factors such as pay that have a huge impact on these decisions.
                Recruiting at the P5 level is different and I think that could/should give hiring managers AND Hendo pause before making such a jump. Got to be the right opportunity. Hendo would be great at a place like Creighton or Marquette. Nebraska maybe not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Another great year, another round of "Is the coach leaving?"

A couple of key points.

1. Pay is a huge factor. That is what makes it not a lateral move. Yes, the competition may be lateral but getting a long-term deal of 5+ years worth $200-400k more than your current job make it way more than a lateral move. Now, I agree that you have to balance the $$$,$$$ with everything else involved.
                  2.Nagy got a big pay raise, a long-term deal. and moved close to home.

The only way to get out of this cycle really comes down to us as fans and boosters. If the team on the floor is strong and we want to keep the coach, we need to pay them to stay. That requires booster money and butts in the seats paying for season tickets. Averaging 2,000 fans a game doesn't get it done.

Hendo may very well stay here a long time because he and his family love the entire situation. And the situation at SDSU is a very good one. Coaches like Nagy, Stig, and AJ wouldn't stay 20+ years if it wasn't. But, if he leaves someday, it will be highly likely that more money is a big part of making another situation better.

I hope he stays for his whole career. We will be fine if he doesn't.

SUPERBUNNY
                  The flip side is Hendo could stay at SDSU and has already accumulated enough credibility to easily see him here another 5 to 10 even if he doesn’t achieve the same level of success he’s had the last 3 years. If he goes to UWM or Illinois State … his window for success is much narrower. It may be more money but it has a potential for a shorter shelf life too.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                    The flip side is Hendo could stay at SDSU and has already accumulated enough credibility to easily see him here another 5 to 10 even if he doesn’t achieve the same level of success he’s had the last 3 years. If he goes to UWM or Illinois State … his window for success is much narrower. It may be more money but it has a potential for a shorter shelf life too.
                    Illinois State Job is now longer open

Comment

The most important thing is winning the Summit League Tournament and Hendo has not got that done yet.

Comment

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ijm7MELMXT8iEk

“It depends a little bit on some of the moving parts, candidates that are available to talk to us," she said. "But the biggest factor is, I think we can do it quickly and get a great person. I don’t think we’re going to have to wait for the ‘perfect’ person, because our student-athletes are waiting. They need to know who’s going to be the next head coach, and the sooner, the better.

“Now, we have to balance that with making sure that we’re thorough and doing our due diligence. So, I think we’ll be able to balance that.”

Taking Braun's list of preferences into account, a few candidates that could be interested or might make sense for UWM would be Omar Lowery (current Butler assistant, former UWM assistant, West Allis Hale graduate); J.R. Blount (current Iowa State assistant, Whitefish Bay Dominican graduate); Donte' Jackson (Grambling State head coach, Milwaukee Hamilton graduate); Eric Henderson (South Dakota State head coach); and Gary Grzesk (St. Norbert head coach, Wauwatosa East graduate).

And here's another interesting name to potentially throw into the mix: Steven Pearl, son of Bruce who's in his fourth season as an assistant on the Auburn staff.

Comment

Working...
                        X