Hendo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
    Would be a mistake IMO. Good long time loyal assistant but he isn’t Hendo or TJ or Nagy.
    It was a joke....that he would be the top assistant coach/associate head coach.......for who ever was the next head coach. I guess if i have to explain that it was a joke, then it probably wasn't that funny.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post

That guy appears to just be copy/pasting other people's articles on his site. Here's the link to the Chicago Sun-Times article written by Joe Henricksen who is listed as the following on twitter: Editor/Publisher of the City/Suburban Hoops Report in Chicago • Chicago Sun-Times contributor.

The author's first line does seem a bit silly, "This would be a relatively quick climb for Henderson."

Coaches Otz and Smith both made the jump to the Mountain West, which is projected to have 4 teams playing in the tourney. Surely Coach Hendo would just stay here for some more guaranteed success than head off to rebuild at Illinois State.

Paywalled article mentioning him for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee job that opened up yesterday. Here's a blog I read last week suggesting him for the Nebraska job prior to them announcing their plans to continue with Fred Hoiberg.
      UWM job would be really bad. Huge rebuild … worse than Ill State. Baldwin was making $350k not a lot. The Horizon is not much better if at all than the Summit.

Nebraska would be interesting … wife is from Nebraska and Hendo went to Wayne State in NE.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i really think that we can be much more than a perennial cinderella. i really think there is a gonzaga path for the jacks. small conference team that makes the ncaa almost every year, then is a real threat to win games in the tourney, semi normal threat to make final 8 or final 4, etc........

i have ALWAYS thought that is the vision for both hoops programs and i believe they can do it. biggest hurdle keeping and paying coaches. obviously things worked just right with AJ where it seems fairly doubtful he would leave now, but i could imagine there are some programs he would still feel a need to listen to

really just need the state to be willing to pay. and the more success these teams have the more money they bring on their own, the more the state should be able to feel good about paying
        Gonzaga is averaging 6,000 fans per game. Significantly more than SDSU.

Collaboration with SFalls is a plus.

I suspect as a private school Zags have more money (endowment) and freedom to do what they want.

Not sure if football is a plus or minus in this scenario.

Got to be able to attract P5 schools to play us … got to win a few of those.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

It was a joke....that he would be the top assistant coach/associate head coach.......for who ever was the next head coach. I guess if i have to explain that it was a joke, then it probably wasn't that funny.
          I’m a pretty obtuse person so it might’ve been only me that didn’t get the joke.

Comment

I’m a pretty obtuse person so it might’ve been only me that didn’t get the joke.
            If i had the skills, I would put the why are you being so obtuse meme from shashank redemption here.

it probably was a bad joke either way.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Gonzaga is averaging 6,000 fans per game. Significantly more than SDSU.

Collaboration with SFalls is a plus.

I suspect as a private school Zags have more money (endowment) and freedom to do what they want.

Not sure if football is a plus or minus in this scenario.

Got to be able to attract P5 schools to play us … got to win a few of those.
              well as i said i believe at least some always imagined a best case scenario, looking similar to gonzaga. and that was what i hoped would be best case scenario as it became obvious why we would leave an amazing D2 conference like the ncc

i would say i did NOT imagine at that time that our attendance would fall off like it has from D2 days. i mean it was not impossible to understand during the tough part of the move but, i would have had a hard time imagining us being as successful as we have been and the attendance being down, to the point that we are updating frost and making it smaller for the multiple x time.

and that is a different conversation. and i do understand some reason for it, but i would say it is still a bit tough to grasp

all that said, even with the attendance being smaller than gonzaga and smaller than our past, i still believe a similar path to similar success is possible

if my point of view here finally proves beyond any doubt for you that YES i am crazy)) i would just say please be honest with yourself. were you one of the people who imagined the D1 move as a disaster? or did you imagine some success, just not the same success i am describing.

because there were definitely jacks fans who thought we were voluntarily taking the entrance ramp to armageddon. so if you were one of those then i am not surprised if you cannot imagine us EVER looking anything like a gonzaga

as far as the competition, the zags were road warriors for a long LONG time. they were NOT getting big schools to come to their gym. before we start worrying about getting P5s into frost, i would be happy if we could just get some home and homes with other quality mid majors. that seems like it SHOULD be doable?? NO?? but apparently even that is VERY hard. obviously we are a bit of a victim of our own success here

but that obviously cuts both ways. we do not get good teams to come to frost because we win WAY too much, but we might lose at least a little more if we could get better competition to come with ANY type of consistency

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

I got a chuckle out of it

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post

I got a chuckle out of it
                  I was going more for a chortle.

Comment

I would love it if Hendo made living in Brookings a priority. He does a great job coaching, recruiting and seems like a genuinely nice person. I've noticed that he thanks and shakes the hand of the person who sings the national anthem. Little things like that tell me he pays attention to and appreciates everybody's contributions. If he chooses to go somewhere else at some point, I will cheer for him.
                    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

as far as the competition, the zags were road warriors for a long LONG time. they were NOT getting big schools to come to their gym. before we start worrying about getting P5s into frost, i would be happy if we could just get some home and homes with other quality mid majors. that seems like it SHOULD be doable?? NO?? but apparently even that is VERY hard. obviously we are a bit of a victim of our own success here

but that obviously cuts both ways. we do not get good teams to come to frost because we win WAY too much, but we might lose at least a little more if we could get better competition to come with ANY type of consistency
                      Game schedule is important. Occasionally getting on national TV would help. Improved attendance is an absolute must.

There is a balance on the schedule … (1) home games are necessary for revenue from the perspective of the athletic budget. Road games can be expensive unless the allowance you get covers your travel. (2) got to win some P5 road games to improve your standing. (3) agree on home-and-aways with mid majors

Comment

I think Hendo will wait for a multi-bid league team to call for him…. I think he’s that good of a coach. Also will need a team that has shown it can be good (aka not Nebraska)

Comment

well i have a guess that UNL could be interesting, but i also hope and believe that he is smart enough to realize that lots of good coaches have tried and failed to make a winner out of that program. again we would have to be stupid to think we might not lose him!!

but i hope he sees and believes that this program, even with all it has accomplished already, could be MUCH MUCH MORE and that he is looking forward to being THE GUY who takes it beyond what many ever imagined possible

i think his family is VERY happy in brookings and i think that has a LOT of value for hendo and he does not assume that it will automatically be the same everywhere. even though he is not a SD native or a rabbit alum, i think he sees SDSU much like Stig sees it as a very very special place. i do NOT think we have to worry about losing him to wayne but maybe his home state has some pull???

Comment

I hope he holds out for something a couple tiers higher as well. With his combination of personality and his obvious skill in managing a team, he's destined for big things. Maybe it's here at SDSU, but we better quickly find a way to double his salary.

Comment

well i have a guess that UNL could be interesting, but i also hope and believe that he is smart enough to realize that lots of good coaches have tried and failed to make a winner out of that program. again we would have to be stupid to think we might not lose him!!

but i hope he sees and believes that this program, even with all it has accomplished already, could be MUCH MUCH MORE and that he is looking forward to being THE GUY who takes it beyond what many ever imagined possible

i think his family is VERY happy in brookings and i think that has a LOT of value for hendo and he does not assume that it will automatically be the same everywhere. even though he is not a SD native or a rabbit alum, i think he sees SDSU much like Stig sees it as a very very special place. i do NOT think we have to worry about losing him to wayne but maybe his home state has some pull???
                              https://wscwildcats.com/news/2020/11...henderson.aspx
                              This article claims home state for Hendo is Iowa.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

definitely i am biased. but i do not think you can convince ANY level thinking person that the ISU red job is ANY kind of step up from the jacks. the ONLY possible advantage is pay but you also work and probably live in illinois and the taxes will eat a giant pay increase so the increase in pay would have to be astronomical. beyond that i absolutely do not believe that hendo is or will be a guy who sees money as the primary reason for making that type of change

even the wright state job was really only a lateral move. difference was that the nagy family wanted to be closer to relatives in that area

I think we would be blind and dumb not to think there is a possibility of losing Hendo. but i do not think he is in any hurry to go, unlike tj, and it will definitely take a job that is appealing in multiple ways. i guess i mean that this job was always a stepping stone for tj. i dont believe that Hendo sees it that way. i think he imagines a long life in brookings where he is incredibly happy and satisfied and successful. so leaving that situation is going to require something that feels really really good for him and his family
                                Another great year, another round of "Is the coach leaving?"

A couple of key points.

1. Pay is a huge factor. That is what makes it not a lateral move. Yes, the competition may be lateral but getting a long-term deal of 5+ years worth $200-400k more than your current job make it way more than a lateral move. Now, I agree that you have to balance the $$$,$$$ with everything else involved.
                                2.Nagy got a big pay raise, a long-term deal. and moved close to home.

The only way to get out of this cycle really comes down to us as fans and boosters. If the team on the floor is strong and we want to keep the coach, we need to pay them to stay. That requires booster money and butts in the seats paying for season tickets. Averaging 2,000 fans a game doesn't get it done.

Hendo may very well stay here a long time because he and his family love the entire situation. And the situation at SDSU is a very good one. Coaches like Nagy, Stig, and AJ wouldn't stay 20+ years if it wasn't. But, if he leaves someday, it will be highly likely that more money is a big part of making another situation better.

I hope he stays for his whole career. We will be fine if he doesn't.

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X