GDT: Fighting Hawks vs Jackrabbits 7pm Frost Arena Midco/ESPN+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Gaskin & Zimmer seem offended that the coaching staff and Freidel are not wanting to share the personal information. They have been getting some mileage on the podcast screaming that they should have this information now. These guys have made Freidel a "public person" that entitles them to unrestricted access to his thoughts. Good Grief!! They are just trying to make a living and attain relevance....privacy be damned. I think Hendo can handle the heat from this pair. Go Jacks!!
    Did you even listen to the podcast? At no time was there screaming that they should have all the information. Zim even said we do not derserve to know everything. And they did not make Freidel a "public person", Noah did that himself first by being one of the best high school basketball players in the state a couple of years ago and now being one of the best college players.

Also, I really do not think Zimmer is too worried about attaining relevance. It is his job to cover SDSU basketball and he wouldn't be doing his job if he did not a least once in awhile ask why the leading scorer has been benched for seven games. He is not an SDSU employee or fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

Did you even listen to the podcast? At no time was there screaming that they should have all the information. Zim even said we do not derserve to know everything. And they did not make Freidel a "public person", Noah did that himself first by being one of the best high school basketball players in the state a couple of years ago and now being one of the best college players.

Also, I really do not think Zimmer is too worried about attaining relevance. It is his job to cover SDSU basketball and he wouldn't be doing his job if he did not a least once in awhile ask why the leading scorer has been benched for seven games. He is not an SDSU employee or fan.
      I wish we could get more mileage out of appreciating how bench players like Mims and veterans like Appel and Easley have elevated their play and how Hendo has adapted the lineup to account for Freidel's absence (regardless of whether one agrees with his responses to inquiries about Freidel being benched and/or when he'll return). Hopefully Gentry continues that trend, as I don't think his playing time against UND was representative of what he'll eventually add to team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

Yes. I did listen. It is still 2 guys upset that their question is not being answered. I still stand by the attain relevance. You and the guys can determine how to fit the "public person" into whatever point of view you wish. If you think asking the same question every week is showing his professionalism, then you can stand by that as well. If you cannot understand the situation is being treated as a private matter, I hope your sleep habits are not disturbed with this stress. We are not entitled to this information at this time or it would be shared now. As far as Zimmer being a Jack fan, that has no bearing on the situation and I would guess I have no influence on his loyalties even though I support the paper that employs him. Maybe he should answer some questions about that now we have brought up "public persons".
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I wish we could get more mileage out of appreciating how bench players like Mims and veterans like Appel and Easley have elevated their play and how Hendo has adapted the lineup to account for Freidel's absence (regardless of whether one agrees with his responses to inquiries about Freidel being benched and/or when he'll return). Hopefully Gentry continues that trend, as I don't think his playing time against UND was representative of what he'll eventually add to team.
          Gentry isn’t going to be anything more than a fun end-of-game player, at least for this year. The Jacks’ biggest need is size and defense. Gentry doesn’t cover either of those. I am more intrigued about Wingett making a return to the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post

Gentry isn’t going to be anything more than a fun end-of-game player, at least for this year. The Jacks’ biggest need is size and defense. Gentry doesn’t cover either of those. I am more intrigued about Wingett making a return to the rotation.
            I'm fine with that. I think it's impressive he earned a scholarship due to his diligence and dedication during practice. I'm also a fan of increased playing time for Wingett, if defense and scoring continue to improve

Comment

Listen, Zim is not an SDSU fan. He's not paid to be. He's a Sioux Falls native who went to St. Cloud State.

His role before SDSU was doing USF and Augie. I think he liked that gig.

I do think, he is a very talented writer, and for the most part, he does a great job of covering the Jackrabbits for the Argus.

I honestly think it's good that our beat writer isn't a suck up and/or giant fan. He has perspective. And does that lead to sometimes negative points of view about our teams? For sure.

He does his job, and pretty well. You don't have to like him. I'm not sure I like his personality, honestly. I've seen him and/or bumped into him at a few concerts and things. He's fine, buuuttt..

He's probably not a guy I would hang out with. And that certainly doesn't make him a bad person. He probably wouldn't want to hang with me, either.

But that doesn't make him a bad reporter for the Jackrabbits.

Comment

Public Service Announcement: This is the thread for Thursday January 27th's game at Frost. The Monday, January 31 game thread for the rescheduled Grand Forks game is here.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Worth repeating:

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Listen, Zim is not an SDSU fan. He's not paid to be. He's a Sioux Falls native who went to St. Cloud State.

His role before SDSU was doing USF and Augie. I think he liked that gig.

I do think, he is a very talented writer, and for the most part, he does a great job of covering the Jackrabbits for the Argus.

I honestly think it's good that our beat writer isn't a suck up and/or giant fan. He has perspective. And does that lead to sometimes negative points of view about our teams? For sure.

He does his job, and pretty well. You don't have to like him. I'm not sure I like his personality, honestly. I've seen him and/or bumped into him at a few concerts and things. He's fine, buuuttt..

He's probably not a guy I would hang out with. And that certainly doesn't make him a bad person. He probably wouldn't want to hang with me, either.

But that doesn't make him a bad reporter for the Jackrabbits.
                  My SDSU degree is in journalism. I find it offensive that people think Zimmer (or anyone who holds themself out as a journalist covering sports) should be a "homer". A good writer covering sports -- and I think Zim is a good writer -- will at times write to entertain while also informing the reader. A good writer covering sports will challenge the reader with thoughtful and thought-provoking stories and commentary about ENTERTAINMENT. Zim owes nothing to SDSU, its athletes or fans except honest reporting as he sees it. Zim and coverage of SDSU athletics is the primary reason I subscribe to the Argus Leader.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Worth repeating:

My SDSU degree is in journalism. I find it offensive that people think Zimmer (or anyone who holds themself out as a journalist covering sports) should be a "homer". A good writer covering sports -- and I think Zim is a good writer -- will at times write to entertain while also informing the reader. A good writer covering sports will challenge the reader with thoughtful and thought-provoking stories and commentary about ENTERTAINMENT. Zim owes nothing to SDSU, its athletes or fans except honest reporting as he sees it. Zim and coverage of SDSU athletics is the primary reason I subscribe to the Argus Leader.
                    Well said, and the Jacks coverage is the reason I subscribe too

Comment

My main complaint with Zimmer is that I think the Argus-Leader has spread him way too thin across too many "beats."
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                      X