GDT: Jackrabbits(1) vs Golden Eagles(4) 5:45pm@Pentagon Midco/ESPN+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    I agree that ORU is one of those teams that could become a Cinderella story in the tournament. Unfortunately they'll have to overcome a 15ish seed to do it. It sure won't happen if they completely freeze up like they did in the second half last night!

ORU has had a number of good players transfer out over the years. It will be interesting to see what happens there this off-season. Weaver looks like he has potential to be "the next big thing" there, which is scary with Abmas and Obanor each having at least two years left. Will all three stick around?
    Yup, we have everyone returning, but ORU is going to be big time scary for the next two years if they don't have attrition...

Comment

• Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post

Yup, we have everyone returning, but ORU is going to be big time scary for the next two years if they don't have attrition...
      high scoring teams can be streaky though. ORU in the past has struggled to retain players. With their success they probably keep most of their talent. Unless Acemiss....seriously, how do you get that from Abmas......does an eventual grad transfer or think he needs to go POWER 5 school to expand his game and options, that would be my guess as their only worry for their roster. Frankly they got hot at the right time, thats what the tournament is. Its not the best team in the league, its the hottest team during that 4 days. Which we have benefitted from in the past also.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• YES they are very good. NO DOUBT but it is doubtful with all the juniors and sophomores they have who will get basically all the minutes that they are going to add anything. so the team they have is pretty much the team they have and they won the semi and the final by one basket. and going into the SLT 2 of the top 5-10 players in the conference were out and another one is unable to practice the week before the tourney. also wingett was unavailable. the conference is going to be very salty next year and that should be fun and a good thing, but give me our guys healthy and i like our chances as much as anyone

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
          YES they are very good. NO DOUBT but it is doubtful with all the juniors and sophomores they have who will get basically all the minutes that they are going to add anything. so the team they have is pretty much the team they have and they won the semi and the final by one basket. and going into the SLT 2 of the top 5-10 players in the conference were out and another one is unable to practice the week before the tourney. also wingett was unavailable. the conference is going to be very salty next year and that should be fun and a good thing, but give me our guys healthy and i like our chances as much as anyone
          exactly, its not like they were the most dominating team ever. A lot of teams should feel pretty good going into next year with the whole covid and not losing seniors. If ORU lost Abmas like we lost Fridel or USD lost AJP, they wouldn't have been able to do what both of our schools did. SDSU, USD as long as umude is back, NDSU, ORU, should feel good about next season.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

• ORU will lose game they probably shouldn’t unless they at least pretend that they are willing to defend the paint. We should have won our game if we convert even half of the o-boards in the first half. They gave Dent multiple wide open looks in the paint in the second half.

NDSU got so many and 1 opportunities in the second half because ORU was woefully out of position it was almost laughable. It’s not like it was sophisticated offense either. RK just went right at them. Some of the fouls that were called might have been a bit weak, but ORU was still out of position.

In both games the 2nd half looked like they were willing to trade 2’s for 3’s. That will bite them in the ass against almost any P5 team they play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
              ORU will lose game they probably shouldn’t unless they at least pretend that they are willing to defend the paint. We should have won our game if we convert even half of the o-boards in the first half. They gave Dent multiple wide open looks in the paint in the second half.

NDSU got so many and 1 opportunities in the second half because ORU was woefully out of position it was almost laughable. It’s not like it was sophisticated offense either. RK just went right at them. Some of the fouls that were called might have been a bit weak, but ORU was still out of position.

In both games the 2nd half looked like they were willing to trade 2’s for 3’s. That will bite them in the ass against almost any P5 team they play.

or we make a couple free throws......

IF ORU can make 10-12 3s. they could make it interesting. If they are missing, They dont ahve the defense to grind a close game. frankly if each game went another 30 seconds, WE probably win, NDSU probably wins. ORU did it but had to play clearly their best games of the season. Hopefully they represent the summit well.

Comment

• yes i hope they represent well also. if they can be highly regarded next year then that helps our net and rpi, etc.... when we beat them next year. part of me loves having the conference dominated by us and the bison but it is clearly better for us long term to have the conference be better, stronger, and deeper.

this was supposed to be a very down year for the summit with usd losing the big guy and bison losing ward and shaheen. well the conference was as strong as it has been in a long time. top 4 were very good and really separated by a coin flip for the most part. und and umkc coming on and could also be very tough, WIU shows some signs of good things to come, and i feel good about what st thomas will bring. now i think the jacks will take the next step and continue to be the top dog in a much better conference

it will be interesting to see if umude comes back, my guess is that he will but FAR from a guarantee. and dont think anyone is guaranteeing that AJP is full go when the season starts. those 2 would seem nearly impossible to replace, but then again ndsu carried on fine without ward and shaheen

Comment

yes i hope they represent well also. if they can be highly regarded next year then that helps our net and rpi, etc.... when we beat them next year. part of me loves having the conference dominated by us and the bison but it is clearly better for us long term to have the conference be better, stronger, and deeper.

this was supposed to be a very down year for the summit with usd losing the big guy and bison losing ward and shaheen. well the conference was as strong as it has been in a long time. top 4 were very good and really separated by a coin flip for the most part. und and umkc coming on and could also be very tough, WIU shows some signs of good things to come, and i feel good about what st thomas will bring. now i think the jacks will take the next step and continue to be the top dog in a much better conference

it will be interesting to see if umude comes back, my guess is that he will but FAR from a guarantee. and dont think anyone is guaranteeing that AJP is full go when the season starts. those 2 would seem nearly impossible to replace, but then again ndsu carried on fine without ward and shaheen
                  Top 4 in the Summit turned out to be a good battle in conference but other than us they stunk it up out of conference. If we want to have a conference that is respected across the country we need to see teams not named SDSU playing and beating other quality programs.

USD's first win this year was against us in the Dakota Showcase. NDSU's only two non-conference wins were UND and USD. ORU's 3 non-conference wins were against what I assume are lower division teams. ORU and NSDU did play a tough non-conference schedule but if you lose all those games it doesn't help.

Comment

• yeah agree with you montana!! i think usd ( if they are all back and healthy ) and ndsu would do much better OOC today or next season. they lost important pieces and were trying to incorporate new pieces at beginning of year. obviously took usd some games to figure it out. i think the way the conference set up with them playing the worst teams in conference to begin really helped them to get their feet on the ground and gain confidence, but they are definitely talented. ndsu played better than usd but obviously still did not get any important wins. cannot say about oru i guess thompson first year with team and weaver dealing with injuries and maybe trying to figure out who would be the pieces of the puzzle around MA and KO and how they would fit

Comment

• Considering next year, the league is bound to score several new impact players on the transfer market. It’s going to be crazy with all the seniors eligible to grad transfer. I saw on Twitter (Verbal Commits) that there are already 345+ listed in the portal (15+ new ones just today). It’s not the worst time to have an open scholarship.

Comment

• if i understand, pretty sure the jacks have 14 for next year roster. IF i understand they are not punishing scholarships bc seniors who stay so i think that means we have 14 on scholarship instead of 13. guess idk everyones scholarship circumstance but guessing everyone is full ride

wilson
                        buchanon

arians
                        dent
                        apple
                        fiegen

noah
                        sheierman
                        wingett
                        easley
                        mims

mfum

mayo
                        lien

i think that is the list. have to see what will happen with buchanon. have doubts A fiegen would go anyplace, but imagine he could be a player at other local schools, BIG family history with the jacks. see what happens with mfum, i have zero info or idea. and SOOOOOOOOOOOO hope noah is back and ready to rock))!! his own health happiness success all come before bball now and forever wish him the best!! but really hope he is back with both guns blazing next year)) plus ya know that way he can erase that whole hideous augustana stain from the friedel name)) haha

that being said seems we need to lose 2 to even think about adding anyone. feels like the incoming freshman could really fill whatever needs we have. i think this team is ready to go if healthy!! but if a couple guys think that it is the best thing for them to leave then i wish them all the best and i hope there is some savage sitting out there who wants to make a contribution to next years jacks heading to the sweet 16)) or further))))

Comment

if i understand, pretty sure the jacks have 14 for next year roster. IF i understand they are not punishing scholarships bc seniors who stay so i think that means we have 14 on scholarship instead of 13. guess idk everyones scholarship circumstance but guessing everyone is full ride

wilson
                          buchanon

arians
                          dent
                          apple
                          fiegen

noah
                          sheierman
                          wingett
                          easley
                          mims

mfum

mayo
                          lien

i think that is the list. have to see what will happen with buchanon. have doubts A fiegen would go anyplace, but imagine he could be a player at other local schools, BIG family history with the jacks. see what happens with mfum, i have zero info or idea. and SOOOOOOOOOOOO hope noah is back and ready to rock))!! his own health happiness success all come before bball now and forever wish him the best!! but really hope he is back with both guns blazing next year)) plus ya know that way he can erase that whole hideous augustana stain from the friedel name)) haha

that being said seems we need to lose 2 to even think about adding anyone. feels like the incoming freshman could really fill whatever needs we have. i think this team is ready to go if healthy!! but if a couple guys think that it is the best thing for them to leave then i wish them all the best and i hope there is some savage sitting out there who wants to make a contribution to next years jacks heading to the sweet 16)) or further))))
                          Does anyone know if Buchanan is attending classes this semester ?

Comment

• Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                            ORU will lose game they probably shouldn’t unless they at least pretend that they are willing to defend the paint. We should have won our game if we convert even half of the o-boards in the first half. They gave Dent multiple wide open looks in the paint in the second half.

Good point. I don't think Mills is a very good coach, other than that he's assembled a talented roster. But you're correct that their defense is atrocious.

Comment

if i understand, pretty sure the jacks have 14 for next year roster. IF i understand they are not punishing scholarships bc seniors who stay so i think that means we have 14 on scholarship instead of 13. guess idk everyones scholarship circumstance but guessing everyone is full ride

wilson
                              buchanon

arians
                              dent
                              apple
                              fiegen

noah
                              sheierman
                              wingett
                              easley
                              mims

mfum

mayo
                              lien

Wilson and Trey won't count against the limit next year if I understand the covid year correctly. Also be surprised if Trey suits up for the Jacks next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X