Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @Fargo, Home of Da Bizon

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    For all the guys ragging on Howell. He was hurt all of last year. TJ commented on the pre-game last night that he hadn't played in an organized basketball game in a year and half prior to this year. That's part of the reason he didn't get many minutes early. His development since the start of the season has been tremendous. Is he out of control at times, absolutely and last night was worse than normal. But, what other options did we have last night? Without Hess we don't have many shooters we can put on the floor and the Bison were fairly content packing the lane to limit Daum's post touches. I guess we could have had Orris dribble around some more and pass of wide open jumper after wide open jumper.
    Well, I guess I'm one of those guys ragging on Howell. Last night he was out of control and that hurt us. There have been other games where he has played more under control and his contribution can't be understated. You elaborated much more on his youth and how we will mature. I touched on it and agree 100%. There is some real potential there and we don't have a lot of options. Unfortunately, last night he hurt us with his forcing up tough shots and 7 turnovers. That can't be disputed. You aren't, are you?

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      Well, I guess I'm one of those guys ragging on Howell. Last night he was out of control and that hurt us. There have been other games where he has played more under control and his contribution can't be understated. You elaborated much more on his youth and how we will mature. I touched on it and agree 100%. There is some real potential there and we don't have a lot of options. Unfortunately, last night he hurt us with his forcing up tough shots and 7 turnovers. That can't be disputed. You aren't, are you?

SUPERBUNNY
      The transition from JUCO to D1 has been harder due to the year off. He has no speed problems other than controlling his speed and getting into those no man zones where a turnover is imminent. The pass first or even pass second is not a concept he has found yet. The defense and rebounding have been good. The team game vs one on one game is the situation on offense. A missed perimeter shot is horrible, but not getting a chance to miss a perimeter shot due to turnovers is a sure loss.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
        Box score says he had 4 turnovers so I'm disputing it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          You are spot on with Theisen. If Miller/Werner have to guard him, Jacobson has to guard Daum. I'll take my chances with that match-up all day. Orris has been shooting a couple of jump shots each game, and they are usually bricks. Having him shoot more isn't going to help. Teams are starting to realize that Severyn isn't a great perimeter shooter, and are helping off him as well. Hess may have some warts, but he is needed on this team. Hopefully the two incoming big recruits will provide some depth right away and the two wings will be able to help stretch the defense.
          The 3 shot attempts by Orris last night were lay ups. Agree on Hess and Theison, they're needed badly.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Box score says he had 4 turnovers so I'm disputing it.
            Tyler said seven in the postgame.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

For all the guys ragging on Howell. He was hurt all of last year. TJ commented on the pre-game last night that he hadn't played in an organized basketball game in a year and half prior to this year. That's part of the reason he didn't get many minutes early. His development since the start of the season has been tremendous. Is he out of control at times, absolutely and last night was worse than normal. But, what other options did we have last night? Without Hess we don't have many shooters we can put on the floor and the Bison were fairly content packing the lane to limit Daum's post touches. I guess we could have had Orris dribble around some more and pass of wide open jumper after wide open jumper.

Theisen would have been nice to have last night. Playing him and Daum together would have made the Bison guard Ian with Miller most likely. I think he could have scored on Miller.
              I had no problem with Howel trying to make something happen. Once he gets stronger in the off season, that will help tighten his handles. Add some better decision making and he could be a star.

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
                I'm not exactly disputing it, but he did some good as well, specifically 14 pts 6 rebs 3 ast. The next closest scorer had 4 points. I'm just not sure we had many other options. Howell scores by getting to the rim that's his game. Guess we just have to take the bad with the good. I kinda think the good out-weighs the bad even last night.

I think what hurts the most is our lack of outside shooters. Hell Orris can't shoot at all really....that is a killer. Maybe we need to get Beau Brown into the game to space the floor a bit more.

Comment

Tyler said seven in the postgame.

SUPERBUNNY
                  Box score says 4, but does that count offensive fouls? Howell had at least two of those.

At any rate he had more turnovers than I'd like to see as well. I think he will continue to improve.

Comment

RE: Beau Brown
                    Might as well...the Bison bring a walk on freshman that looks like he just walked off the Lake Preston High gym floor circa 1992 that just killed us from beyond the arc the last two games against the Bison.

Our three point shooting besides Daum is awful and it's killing us against good teams like this. Teams are giving us wide open threes and we're not even taking them. Could Madi Guebert play for the men?? That would be the end of leaving our point guard wide open. Kidding of course...god I hate losing to these f&$$)ing guys...I told myself not to post. Ugh.
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      Might as well...the Bison bring a walk on freshman that looks like he just walked off the Lake Preston High gym floor circa 1992 that just killed us from beyond the arc the last two games against the Bison.

Our three point shooting besides Daum is awful and it's killing us against good teams like this. Teams are giving us wide open threes and we're not even taking them. Could Madi Guebert play for the men?? That would be the end of leaving our point guard wide open. Kidding of course...god I hate losing to these f&$$)ing guys...I told myself not to post. Ugh.
                      propar80 - Just start drinking heavily 3+ hours before tipoff and these losses sting a lot less. I'm getting pretty good at it - especially when our teams play in Fargo. "I'm gonna need another" was repeated often last night.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

The walk on you are referring to was Mr. Basketball in Nebraska last year. He is actually a great student and a very sound basketball player. He waited all year for an offer from SDSU that never came. We honestly could have used him this year to space the floor for Daum and Howell. Hopefully he doesn't come back to haunt us over the next three years.

Comment

I'm not exactly disputing it, but he did some good as well, specifically 14 pts 6 rebs 3 ast. The next closest scorer had 4 points. I'm just not sure we had many other options. Howell scores by getting to the rim that's his game. Guess we just have to take the bad with the good. I kinda think the good out-weighs the bad even last night.

I think what hurts the most is our lack of outside shooters. Hell Orris can't shoot at all really....that is a killer. Maybe we need to get Beau Brown into the game to space the floor a bit more.
                          I think we are pretty much on the same page. Howell did some good things last night, no question. They were washed out by the fouls and turnovers. So, the effect on the game was the same as Orris and his lack of scoring. When Howell learns to play under control he will be dynamite. And if we could teach him how to shoot from distance, look out. Well, he wouldn't be here then but anyway...

Like many have said, we need Theissen and Hesse back.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            I had no problem with Howel trying to make something happen. Once he gets stronger in the off season, that will help tighten his handles. Add some better decision making and he could be a star.
                            I love how aggressive he is, but if he could add some better awareness and passing he could be deadly. Get him driving and people crashing on him and some cutters to dish to... Could be fun to watch. Right now the only hope is for Daum to hover around the rim after Howell throws something up and hope it goes in or we get the rebound.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              I love how aggressive he is, but if he could add some better awareness and passing he could be deadly. Get him driving and people crashing on him and some cutters to dish to... Could be fun to watch. Right now the only hope is for Daum to hover around the rim after Howell throws something up and hope it goes in or we get the rebound.
                              Agreed. He has at times shown the ability to make some nice dishes off the dribble and has improved at picking his spots, but I just think he was pressing against the Bison with all the other supporting players struggling for stretches of the game.

It probably won't happen this year, but if he can develop a pull up shot that can be efficient 10-15 feet from the basket in the offseason, he could become a real stud on the floor. Defenders have been giving him 5 feet or more of cushion before he gets to about the foul line just to keep Howell in front of them, and they still have trouble doing so. He's a pretty good free throw shooter, so it's not out of the question that he could make this type of shot consistently when a defender is playing that far off him.
                              Last edited by Kemo; 02-10-2017, 12:01 AM.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

I think it is interesting how things change. In the ORU thread, we were comparing Reed and Hess on who should start and now we are talking about not having any outside shooters. Reed isn't lights out from 3 but he is better that Howell, Orris, King and probably many others. He even shoots better from the FT line and slightly better at field goals than Hess(we do need 3 point shooters though). If both Hess and Reed were both defensive liabilities, that might be another thing to look at but I think Reed plays defense fairly good.
                                Howell and King are better at shooting FG's but they are normally right at the basket when they shoot.
                                I saw that Lane didn't shoot good against NDSU but Orris, King and Flatten all shot 3 shots or less from the floor. Orris and King were 1-3 from the floor and scored 2 points. Howell was 5-13 from the floor and had 14 points. He made 4 Ft's which helped out his line. As long as he can get to the line, keep it up. Daum, Reed and Howell all shot as many our more shots that the rest of the team put together. If one or two of those three are on the bench, there aren't many options out there.
                                This is just one game but somebody else has to shoot and make more shots until Hess and Ian get back.
                                The women's team could win with Young, Thompson and Madison(scoring 50+) and roll players because those three are all conference, consistent and have well rounded game but the men aren't.

Comment

Working...
                                X