Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Did anyone at the press conference ask if he likes to use time outs in end of game situations?
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      thats good. Klink probably new he was a bit of a long shot for the job. as long as klink was fine staying that says a lot about both of them. Probably not easy to come in and fire the only assitant that is left with the team. Happy to hear that. suppose we will hear some recruiting news soon? when is signing day?
      Started yesterday.

Comment

thats good. Klink probably new he was a bit of a long shot for the job. as long as klink was fine staying that says a lot about both of them. Probably not easy to come in and fire the only assitant that is left with the team. Happy to hear that. suppose we will hear some recruiting news soon? when is signing day?
        I agree, that is great news. Gives us continuity with the players we were already recruiting and also helps the transition for the players left on the team.

Hopefully Otz can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get a Big XII guard transfer or two to the team now.

Comment

Did come off as grumpy?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Did come off as grumpy?
            Like Nagy grumpy or spilled something on his suit grumpy?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I thought the press conference was very nice. Welcome T.J. Otzelberger!

He said the right things. Seems like he has a very likable personality. Big news was that Klink will be on the staff! In fact, that was the loudest ovation of all.

I thought this interview with Tyler Merriam was a good view. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPenViHXU8g Also, thought it was very telling that Craig McDermott came to the introduction from Creighton. We have a lot of connections down there with Mark Burgers as their Associate Athletic Director. They run a solid program down there in many ways like ours so it was apparent that our people talked to their people. McDermott is building a very impressive coaching tree with Jacobsen at UNI, Richman at NDSU, and now Otzelberger at SDSU.

Sell talked some about the process which was good.

It's a great day to be a Jackrabbit! This program is going to continue to shine and get even stronger!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Did anyone at the press conference ask if he likes to use time outs in end of game situations?
                Shame. Shame. You go stand in the corner Goon!

Comment

Like Nagy grumpy or spilled something on his suit grumpy?
                  Just seemed serious and slightly nervous to me. His interview with Tyler is more relaxed.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    Shame. Shame. You go stand in the corner Goon!
                    I said it but we were all thinking it........or not. Maybe i was the only one.

Comment

Watch the interview with Tyler - it is good. But yes, the ovation Klink got during the press conference...goose bumps. I'm glad they were able to work it out and keep him on board.

Comment

In the 'you can't make this stuff up' department: According to reports, new UNLV coach Chris Beard may leave for Texas Tech after just two weeks at UNLV. Ryan Miller anyone?

Edit: I realize this is 'thread drift' material...just didn't want to start a new thread since this one is already off the rails 😉.
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Watch the interview with Tyler - it is good. But yes, the ovation Klink got during the press conference...goose bumps. I'm glad they were able to work it out and keep him on board.
                          Otzenberger seemed to be pretty impressed with the level and enthusiasm of support for Klinkefus at the press conference.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Can anyone fill me in on the high points of the afternoon? Thanks.
                            Where were players during the PC?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              Where were players during the PC?
                              All were in attendance sitting near podium.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                                I want to take a moment to personally congratulate the fans of SDSU on the hiring of TJ Otzelberger as your new men's basketball coach. The post by farmerclone saved me a great deal of time, as he is 100% spot on in his assessment of TJ. TJ and I have had a very close relationship the past several years due in part to me being a season ticket holder at not only USD, but Iowa State as well.

You are going to love this guy. He will work his tail off for you, and he will bring in very legit and SDSU type kids that you will enjoy watching. Some of you expressed concern about the number of transfers Iowa State brought in that we're problematic while in Ames for a number of reasons. But you need to know that TJ wasn't for that "transfer" approach that Hoiberg took. Basically Hoiberg didn't like recruiting, and the effort it took. TJ carried the load in that regard. He has such a way with kids that the level of trust is very high between himself and the kids he looks at, even if he ends up not recruiting them at the end of the day. He will NOT bring in problematic players that will cause embarrassment of any sort to your school just to win.

TJ's a great family man as you are about to witness. His wife was "all world" when she played at Iowa State, and they have a set of twins that TJ adores. His value system is exactly what you want and expect at SDSU. He won't compromise on that. You have Daum to build a team around, but you have lost some good players. Give TJ a little time to restock the shelves so to speak, but I'm telling you have a winner.

On the USD board I likened the hire and what's coming down the road to this...for those old enough to remember the good ol days of BO vs. WOODY, I think that's what's coming down the pipe in men's basketball for the state of South Dakota. Two rivals with great up and coming coaches duking it out not only for state pride, but Summit League titles. In 2-3 years, I'm predicting both schools being the class of the league. And the rest chasing them, just like the women's races have gone recently.

Once again, congrats on a great hire. Your AD did his job very well.
                                Classy post by YF. Thanks. Hope you're right.

Comment

Working...
                                X