Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

It will be interesting to see where Klink ends up after all this shakes out. Whoever the new coach is, he would be very fortunate to have him stay in Brookings. But whether the new coach, or Klink would agree to that is a big unknown. I'm sure the current players would love to have him stay, and he is closely connected to the players we are trying to bring into the program. It appears the remaining Wright State assistant position is still open and you would think Nagy would be interested if he is available.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      It will be interesting to see where Klink ends up after all this shakes out. Whoever the new coach is, he would be very fortunate to have him stay in Brookings. But whether the new coach, or Klink would agree to that is a big unknown. I'm sure the current players would love to have him stay, and he is closely connected to the players we are trying to bring into the program. It appears the remaining Wright State assistant position is still open and you would think Nagy would be interested if he is available.
      It will probably be tough to stay for Klink if he doesn't get the job, but not impossible. A good assistant so has worked well and recruited well under multiple head coaches become as better candidate down the road.

I hope he would consider staying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        Why didn't Billeter get a serious look at UW-Milwaukee? Why hasn't he gotten other D-I offers since they just won the D-II national championship? Enough said.
        Billeter and Miller didn't get "serious looks" because Sell had his mind made up before this alleged process began. You can say what you want about committees, Sell had a guy (or two) in mind and gave token phone interviews to placate the fan base that wanted a recognizable name.
        And I have real concerns about why Otzelberger didn't get the Iowa State job when Hoiberg left and especially why the UW-Milwaukee chancellor over ruled his hire. What does that chancellor know that SDSU doesn't?

Comment

I think with Billeter its age, its unfortunate but at 55, you figure 8-10 years if everything works great.

With Miller, IDK; if Zimmer seems to imply their were red-flags, I've heard similar things, but nothing specific. I'm not sure if lack of a graduate degree would hurt him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualJacksFan View Post
            Billeter and Miller didn't get "serious looks" because Sell had his mind made up before this alleged process began. You can say what you want about committees, Sell had a guy (or two) in mind and gave token phone interviews to placate the fan base that wanted a recognizable name.
            And I have real concerns about why Otzelberger didn't get the Iowa State job when Hoiberg left and especially why the UW-Milwaukee chancellor over ruled his hire. What does that chancellor know that SDSU doesn't?
            Do you wear a tin foil hat?

There hasn't been a whole lot of transparency with the process (as expected) so what does giving "token" interviews do to "placate" the fan base? Most fans have no idea who is even in the running. Just because a handful of people on a message board are screaming for Ryan Miller doesn't mean that the fan base wants that "recognizable" name. The people on this message board are a tiny fraction of the fan base.

Since you have so many questions about TJ O. What about Ryan Miller has prevented him from getting a head coaching position? Mainly the job to the south of us that was open just a couple years ago? If he is such a slam dunk for this job you'd have thought USD would have snatched him up ASAP.

Comment

Ha, how do you know they didn't get "serious looks" and how do you know what Sell was thinking? One could venture to guess that the chancellor had ulterior motives, perhaps race was an issue, wanting a black coach for some reason or another, whether it was booster pressure or political pressure.

Comment

And I have real concerns about why Otzelberger didn't get the Iowa State job when Hoiberg left
                Seriously? Name the last D1 assistant (with no head coaching experience) at a Power 6 school that got his bosses job. It is reasonable to understand why Iowa State wanted someone with proven coaching experience. When you play in the Big 12 ... you can ask for that. It is remarkable enough that Otzelberger was even strongly considered for the job in the first place. Otzelberger is immensely qualified to be a head coach and his resume stacked up well compared to the other candidates that applied for SDSU.

and especially why the UW-Milwaukee chancellor over ruled his hire. What does that chancellor know that SDSU doesn't?
                Did you read the article? Basically the chancellor over-ruled the AD and the search committee because of a lack of diversity in the UWM athletic department. He did not over-rule the hiring because he didn't think TJ Otzelberger was qualified or had other issues but rather that Otzelberger was Caucasian.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                  Did you read the article? Basically the chancellor over-ruled the AD and the search committee because of a lack of diversity in the UWM athletic department. He did not over-rule the hiring because he didn't think TJ Otzelberger was qualified or had other issues but rather that Otzelberger was Caucasian.
                  If true, Isn't that the definition of Racism? I mean seriously if TJ had a good lawyer and cared wouldn't the law also protect him if there was proof?

Comment

For most of my life, especially my childhood, I was a diehard Iowa State fan. After attending college at SDSU, I switched to an SDSU fan and a more casual ISU fan. However, bringing back Hoiberg a few years ago kind of rejuvenated my interest in Iowa State, specifically basketball. From what I know of following ISU Basketball fairly close, having a large number of friends and family that follow it VERY close, TJ would be a fantastic hire for SDSU.

He was a key part of Hoiberg's staffs and Fred relied heavily on him. When ISU hired Fred, he had ZERO previous coaching experience. None! He was a smart NBA player for a decade, a front office worker for the Timberwolves, and a legend in Ames. He had never coached High School, College or NBA as a HC or Assistant. Fred was the HC of those teams, but he couldn't have done it without TJ. The ISU fan base was devastated when TJ left Washington, and happy when he came back to Ames. Most Head Coaches will bring in their own assistants, so the fact that TJ has hung on through McDermott, Hoiberg, and Prohm is a good sign.

His wife Alison is a legend of ISU Women's Basketball as well, I know she has previous JUCO coaching experience, but she could be an asset to SDSU or Brookings as well. I don't see TJ staying in Brookings for too long though if he is succesful. I believe he wants to work his way up the ladder. His wife is from Australia, so it's not like she has immediate family in the midwest, just familiarity to the region.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      If true, Isn't that the definition of Racism? I mean seriously if TJ had a good lawyer and cared wouldn't the law also protect him if there was proof?
                      That's probably the problem. Also you may not want to get that kind of a reputation with other athletic administrations down the road.

UWM is kind of a mess at the moment. This new coach may and likely will be successful ... but would you want to work for an organization that thinks the way UWM thinks?

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                        Seriously? Name the last D1 assistant (with no head coaching experience) at a Power 6 school that got his bosses job. It is reasonable to understand why Iowa State wanted someone with proven coaching experience. When you play in the Big 12 ... you can ask for that. It is remarkable enough that Otzelberger was even strongly considered for the job in the first place. Otzelberger is immensely qualified to be a head coach and his resume stacked up well compared to the other candidates that applied for SDSU.
                        Depending how technical you want to get, TJ wasn't really even a part of ISU's staff at the time of Hoiberg leaving. I'm not going to look up a timeline... But TJ was hired at ISU around April 10, 2015. Hoiberg left ISU around May 1, 2015. So yes, TJ was apart of the staff and could have gotten promoted, but it's not exactly the same as promoting an assistant coach that just finished a season with the team. Did Jamie Pollard (ISU AD) know enough about TJ from his previous stints at ISU? Probably. There was also some bad blood between Hoiberg and Pollard, and maybe that influenced Pollard's decision to hire Prohm? Get a clean slate, nobody to carry on the bad blood.

It was also a rumor that Hoiberg knew he was going to be leaving, so he brought TJ back so he could potentially get an inside shot at the HC job Hoiberg was leaving. TJ denies even knowing that Hoiberg was most likely going to be leaving right after he was hired back. Hoiberg also spent about a month in the hospital with heart surgery right around the time. Lots of stuff to complicate it.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          you figure 8-10 years if everything works great.
                          That's highly optimistic no matter who we hire. Such is life as a successful mid-major.

That said, I would have expected Billeter to be the most likely to stick around the longest -- probably until he's ready to hang it up. But to the other most-talked-about candidates, ours is a stepping-stone job. If they're successful, they won't be here long. If they're not successful, I suspect they won't be here long, either. I think it's safe to say we'll ever see Nagy-like longevity again.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            If he was offered the job, and the administrator took it away specifically for that reason. However I'm guessing it never got that far. therefore very hard to prove.

Comment

anyone who thinks this was an open race between multiple candidates is incorrect. It doesn't matter because at the end of the day it's sells call and his Job is on the line.

This was a contest between devries and tj who are both very well connected to sell. If a job is offered before interviews take place for other candidates that is considered a token offer for whatever there reasoning on not bringing them to campus etc.

at the end this is sells decision and he is going with someone he knows and relationships do matter

my concern is if you look at 7-10 seasons this guy has been a part of the program he's less than .500 overall and 35-80 in conference play. Assistants shouldn't shoulder the blame but who are the learning from and what culture they come from is important. If sell didn't have the connection to tj I would be shocked if he was a serious candidate.

we hired a guy who 3/4 of his career has lost....to me its concerning

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
                                anyone who thinks this was an open race between multiple candidates is incorrect. It doesn't matter because at the end of the day it's sells call and his Job is on the line.

This was a contest between devries and tj who are both very well connected to sell. If a job is offered before interviews take place for other candidates that is considered a token offer for whatever there reasoning on not bringing them to campus etc.

at the end this is sells decision and he is going with someone he knows and relationships do matter

my concern is if you look at 7-10 seasons this guy has been a part of the program he's less than .500 overall and 35-80 in conference play. Assistants shouldn't shoulder the blame but who are the learning from and what culture they come from is important. If sell didn't have the connection to tj I would be shocked if he was a serious candidate.

we hired a guy who 3/4 of his career has lost....to me its concerning
                                You say the same damn thing in every post. Are you a Jacks fan or just a Miller lover? If you are truly a Jacks fan, let it go and bring something to the table other than Miller this and Miller that. You and a couple others act worse than the kid who takes his ball and goes home...

Also, can you break down the years individually in which T.J. teams went 35-80 in conference play and the conference record for each year you keep referring to?
                                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X