Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

So I'm really getting into this now.
    Just did a little research on some of the names I've seen. Creighton guy I'm cool with. Billeter, not excited but sure. The dude from Iowa State lists as his top recruits a bunch of guys that may be having nice careers in a second tier European league. Miller has coached several guys that have played in the NBA.
    Again, if Sell hires the Creighton guy or the Iowa State guy the fan base goes "Who?". Miller brings instant enthusiasm from the fan base and his resume trumps all except Billeter (who for my liking is to long in the tooth). In fact, Miller probably expands the fan base just because he's a SD guy.

Comment

Don't forget Klink. Sell probably owes him a serious look. Klink is holding the team together. I'm hoping he stays on as an assistant. The players seem to like him.
      This space for lease.

Comment

My guess is the favorite is Darian he's won a lot of games and is under McDermott so sell feels comfortable with him. I'd assume tj's name is coming up due to sells relationship with McDermott and he's trying to help a friend out to get his name out there, there's no way sell is actually considering him when you compare him with the other names that have came up.

Comment

According to this list,there's a lot of guys looking to better themselves and take the next step.Whether or not any are interested,who knows.Only two listed in the immediate area TJ from Iowa St and Murphy from Creighton (No DeVries ?).Probably a lot of stepping stone coaches. No mention of Div 2 coach of the year ,and the coach who's team defeated Josh Schertz's Lincoln Memorial team in the NCAA Div 2 men's basketball Tournament Championship game,Tom Billeter. This article is dated Mar 10 though and the author might have only planned on mentioning the thirty coaches listed, I'm sure there's plenty more associate HC/assistant coaches desiring a HC's position.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-10-2016, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Doing some research to get us up to speed on what I'd call our two most likely candidates based off of relationships with sell. Tj for 3/4 of his career was 35-80 in conference play. That is every year except 3 years. Wow. Thank goodness hoiberg came in to help that the other 2 years he was with tj. That is very scary if that's the route we go especially when we have to have a lot of candidates interested. I just keep hearing his name come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
              My guess is the favorite is Darian he's won a lot of games and is under McDermott so sell feels comfortable with him. I'd assume tj's name is coming up due to sells relationship with McDermott and he's trying to help a friend out to get his name out there, there's no way sell is actually considering him when you compare him with the other names that have came up.
              Has Sell told you he's only comfortable with McDermott-connected coaches ?

Comment

Per hoops dirt

The search to replace Scott Nagy at South Dakota State is underway, and interviews have begun. I have heard a bunch of names here. They are:
                • Tom Billeter – Head Coach Augustana (SD). Won the DII National Championship this past season (34-2). Has also been the head coach at North Dakota State. Holds a career record of 343-193.

• Darren DeVaries – Assistant Coach Creighton. Has been on the Bluejays staff for 18-seasons. Played at Northern Iowa.

• Kyle Green – Assistant Coach Northern Iowa. Currently in his third stint as an assistant at UNI, and also served as an assistant at Marquette. Has also been a head coach at Wis.-Eau Claire, Western State, and Lewis.

• Rob Klinkefus – Assistant Coach South Dakota State. Had spent the past ten seasons with Scott Nagy at SDSU. Was an assistant at Buena Vista University (IA) before that.

• Ryan Miller – Associate Head coach UNLV. A South Dakota native – went to school Northern State (SD). In addition to his time at UNLV, has been an assistant at Auburn, Memphis, New Mexico, and Pepperdine.

• T.J. Otzelberger – Assistant Coach Iowa State. Has worked at ISU for both Fred Hoiberg and Steve Prohm. Also served as an assistant at Washington.

All indications are that this search could wrap-up this week. More as I hear it.
                USD Fan

Comment

I think it is interesting how everyone is so ready to give the job to Ryan Miller. Sure, there are some tangible South Dakota ties but there may very well be more to the story.

He interviewed for the job at USD and they went elsewhere. You can't tell me they didn't see the connections. Yes, he may have been offered but turned it down. He has bounced around a lot which isn't uncommon of assistants but he hasn't been hired yet. There must be a reason. Maybe we don't want him. I have no idea. But we need to consider that.

Justiin Sell will make a good hire and no doubt has a good list of candidates to choose from. The list right above is proof of that. Who knows how many more have shown interest.

My hope is Klinkefus gets a shot but I'm not worried about the program. The future is bright!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                    Per hoops dirt

The search to replace Scott Nagy at South Dakota State is underway, and interviews have begun. I have heard a bunch of names here. They are:
                    • Tom Billeter – Head Coach Augustana (SD). Won the DII National Championship this past season (34-2). Has also been the head coach at North Dakota State. Holds a career record of 343-193.

• Darren DeVaries – Assistant Coach Creighton. Has been on the Bluejays staff for 18-seasons. Played at Northern Iowa.

• Kyle Green – Assistant Coach Northern Iowa. Currently in his third stint as an assistant at UNI, and also served as an assistant at Marquette. Has also been a head coach at Wis.-Eau Claire, Western State, and Lewis.

• Rob Klinkefus – Assistant Coach South Dakota State. Had spent the past ten seasons with Scott Nagy at SDSU. Was an assistant at Buena Vista University (IA) before that.

• Ryan Miller – Associate Head coach UNLV. A South Dakota native – went to school Northern State (SD). In addition to his time at UNLV, has been an assistant at Auburn, Memphis, New Mexico, and Pepperdine.

• T.J. Otzelberger – Assistant Coach Iowa State. Has worked at ISU for both Fred Hoiberg and Steve Prohm. Also served as an assistant at Washington.

All indications are that this search could wrap-up this week. More as I hear it.
                    No real eye turners in that list. Only real question I have is Billeter a serious candidate, or is this the home work interview that you have to give, or you'd get called out in the media. I still think its Miller or Olzberger unless DaVaries has a really strong relationship with Sell.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      No real eye turners in that list. Only real question I have is Billeter a serious candidate, or is this the home work interview that you have to give, or you'd get called out in the media. I still think its Miller or Olzberger unless DaVaries has a really strong relationship with Sell.
                      Yeah, I agree with this. But Billeter just won a DII National Title, and He's right down the road... it just makes sense that he'd get a chance to interview if he wanted it.

I think it's even money on Miller/Klink/Otzelberger/DeVries... any of them could get the job, and I'd be happy.

Comment

Green & Billeter are the only 2 with head coaching experience. Interesting tidbit about Green, is that his son, AJ Green, a member of the 2018 class, has received an offer from UNI.
                        USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
                          Doing some research to get us up to speed on what I'd call our two most likely candidates based off of relationships with sell. Tj for 3/4 of his career was 35-80 in conference play. That is every year except 3 years. Wow. Thank goodness hoiberg came in to help that the other 2 years he was with tj. That is very scary if that's the route we go especially when we have to have a lot of candidates interested. I just keep hearing his name come up.
                          TJ Otzelberger started his Iowa State career under McDermott.

Hoiberg became instantly successful at Iowa State after McDermott left for Creighton in large part because he let the athletes Otzelberger recruited to Iowa State play the way they've been playing.

Otzelberger was retained by Hoiberg and elevated to lead assistant, left for a couple of years for Washington as the lead assistant under Lorenzo Romar and returned to Iowa State under Hoiberg and now Steve Prohm. Very telling that Otzelberger was retained under every coaching change ... in large part because he's a great recruiter and he's got great relationships with the players.

He Otzelberger will be great for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                            Green & Billeter are the only 2 with head coaching experience. Interesting tidbit about Green, is that his son, AJ Green, a member of the 2018 class, has received an offer from UNI.
                            Kyle Green was a head coach at D2 Lewis University for 2 years ... left to return to Northern Iowa when McDermott left UNI for Iowa State and Jacobsen became the head coach. Left Division 1 UNI (after being a head coach at Division 2 Lewis) for a 1 year stint at Division 3 UW-Eau Claire.

He's got 3 years of head coaching experience at two different colleges having left both places in 2 and 1 year ... kind of a vagabond career ... leaving 2 places rather early ... both times to return as a D1 assistant at UNI.

Comment

I'm just glad I don't have to make this decision. I think you could make a case for any one of the candidates above and as referenced would not be surprised about a few wild cards we haven't even thought of that are interested in the job.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                                TJ Otzelberger started his Iowa State career under McDermott.

Hoiberg became instantly successful at Iowa State after McDermott left for Creighton in large part because he let the athletes Otzelberger recruited to Iowa State play the way they've been playing.

Otzelberger was retained by Hoiberg and elevated to lead assistant, left for a couple of years for Washington as the lead assistant under Lorenzo Romar and returned to Iowa State under Hoiberg and now Steve Prohm. Very telling that Otzelberger was retained under every coaching change ... in large part because he's a great recruiter and he's got great relationships with the players.

He Otzelberger will be great for SDSU.
                                Fred hoiberg wasn't instantly successful he was 3-13 his first year in the conference, then they went the transfer route.

All these guys are good recruiters and have good relationships otherwise they wouldn't be in the business this long.
                                I have a tough time thinking that the highest paid employee by the state of South Dakota would be someone who 3/4 of his career has been at the bottom of the conference. That's 7 out of 10 years. Hopefully if he gets it he will be great but wow.

Comment

Working...
                                X