Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
    I have a tough time thinking that the highest paid employee by the state of South Dakota would be someone who 3/4 of his career has been at the bottom of the conference. That's 7 out of 10 years. Hopefully if he gets it he will be great but wow.
    Unless the new coach gets $560K+, they won't be the highest paid public employee. But your larger point still stands.

Like many have said, I'm okay with whoever Sell hires. I just hope that it's this week sometime so the new staff can start recruiting.

Comment

I have a tough time thinking that the highest paid employee by the state of South Dakota would be someone who 3/4 of his career has been at the bottom of the conference. That's 7 out of 10 years. Hopefully if he gets it he will be great but wow.
      You think SDSU will pay the next head coach more than $365,000 (salaries of both USD/SDSU Presidents)?

Comment

Meant to say one of.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          You think SDSU will pay the next head coach more than $365,000 (salaries of both USD/SDSU Presidents)?
          Not sure about how this works at the majority of the mid major schools, but I would have to believe at a P5 school most definitely and probably by a wide margin.

I know that Gregg Marshall at WSU and Ben Jacobsen at UNI make significantly more than the president of the university, so it's certainly not unprecedented at the mid major level. Now whether SDSU would choose to do that remains to be seen.

Comment

Just curious on people's philosophies.

Should the AD pick his guy, then try to get the deal done?

Should the AD lay out what he is willing to pay each candidate, then see who wants the job on our terms?

For example (and completely hypothetical):

Klink ends up the 3rd choice. He wants the job, and will take the head coaching position for $150k per year.

Miller is the 1st choice. He wants the job, and will take it for $300k per year.

If the upper limit for what we can pay is 300k, is it worth saving $150k to hire the "lesser" candidate? That is a decent amount of cash that can go toward other expenses.

As the person in charge of paying the Athletic Department bills, should these factors play a role in Sell's decision making process?

I know what often happens in the real world, but beyond that I don't have a strong opinion. What do others think?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

who you believe would be the best for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                Not sure about how this works at the majority of the mid major schools, but I would have to believe at a P5 school most definitely and probably by a wide margin.

I know that Gregg Marshall at WSU and Ben Jacobsen at UNI make significantly more than the president of the university, so it's certainly not unprecedented at the mid major level. Now whether SDSU would choose to do that remains to be seen.
                SDSU's situation is NOTHING like WSU or UNI.

Gregg Marshall (final 4) and Ben Jacobsen (sweet 16) had proven their ability to win at their current jobs when they signed those big contracts. I would have been way more comfortable paying Coach Nagy more than our President than I am with paying a newcomer that much.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  who you believe would be the best for the job.
                  I assume you are asking me? I really don't know.

I think it depends on what the short and long-term goals are for the program. Get a new practice facility and Frost, and keep the program winning.

If the donors support him and we can keep Klink on staff, I would say Miller. If Miller wants to stay long term and can keep the program winning, great. If he wants to move on in 3-5 years after winning, Klink will be ready to take over at that point.

On paper, it is a 10 year plan. In my unqualified mind at least.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

I understand how P5 conferences and some of the Mid-Major Schools work with regards to having larger salaries of coaches compared to the Presidents. I just don't see it happening this time around. I could be wrong.

Comment

I understand how P5 conferences and some of the Mid-Major Schools work with regards to having larger salaries of coaches compared to the Presidents. I just don't see it happening this time around. I could be wrong.
                      I certainly don't claim to know either. And I understand we aren't WSU or UNI where the coach makes significantly more than the President. But could we pay a new coach more than the president? I suppose it's possible depending on if they find a coach they feel they must have and the salary needed to get that person here requires that. I looked up Otzelberger ($275,000) and Miller ($2245,284), so how much is it going to take to get them here? Will they take approximately the same to have a chance at being the head coach?

I guess that is where Sell earns his paycheck making the actual decisions while we can debate it in theory. I know I don't have a problem with a coach making more than the school president if the situation is correct for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                        TJ Otzelberger started his Iowa State career under McDermott.

Hoiberg became instantly successful at Iowa State after McDermott left for Creighton in large part because he let the athletes Otzelberger recruited to Iowa State play the way they've been playing.

Otzelberger was retained by Hoiberg and elevated to lead assistant, left for a couple of years for Washington as the lead assistant under Lorenzo Romar and returned to Iowa State under Hoiberg and now Steve Prohm. Very telling that Otzelberger was retained under every coaching change ... in large part because he's a great recruiter and he's got great relationships with the players.

He Otzelberger will be great for SDSU.
                        here is my concern with tj. This is sells first major hire. Like I've said in other post other than 3 seasons he has been at the bottom of the conference 7 out of 10 seasons. Then read in the links below what types of players they recruited to become successful in the other 3 seasons. All transfers with issues, which led to a ncaa high 5 arrests last year. Scary deal especially

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...oaching-rumors

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...in-jackson-owi

Comment

here is my concern with tj. This is sells first major hire. Like I've said in other post other than 3 seasons he has been at the bottom of the conference 7 out of 10 seasons. Then read in the links below what types of players they recruited to become successful in the other 3 seasons. All transfers with issues, which led to a ncaa high 5 arrests last year. Scary deal especially

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...oaching-rumors

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...in-jackson-owi
                          Sounds like you are going to be really disappointed if TJ gets the job?

Comment

Sounds like you are going to be really disappointed if TJ gets the job?
                            won't be pissed at all. I've never missed a summit league tournament and want what's best for the program as I will support who ever the committee decides. I would however question sells call though on this because I don't see one thing about this guy that stands out. I'm just pointing out some facts on tj because people are saying he's a top candidate.
                            1. 108-114 overall record and 35-80 conference record in 7 out of 10 seasons.
                            2. His 3 winning seasons are compromised of primarily transfers that had ?'s on character which in one season (some of these are players tj primarily recruited per a poster below that said tj has recruited most of the guys) led to 5 arrests. Does anyone think that's great for brookings South Dakota.
                            3. His own hometown passed up on him this past weekend

what am I missing here, what would make him a top candidate....

i hope sell is right if he goes this route but how does klink not get the job if this guy gets it?
                            Last edited by Jacksin; 04-11-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Holy cow.
                              I haven't dug as deep as Jacksin has but if even HALF of this stuff he's posted about this TJ guy is true there's no way in hell he should even be considered.
                              I don't care about the W/L record that much. Asst coaches are at the mercy of the head coach when it comes to that. But the kind of players this guy recruited and their criminal record. THAT is what scares me most.
                              So is this just a name that someone threw out there or is he really in the mix? If he is, this is the kind of hire that can end careers.

Comment

3. His own hometown passed up on him this past weekend

what am I missing here, what would make him a top candidate....
                                It is interesting how he didn't get the UW-Milwaukee job, that is his old stomping ground, you'd think if recruiting was his strength that would be a hot bed for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X