Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Ryan was a popular first name 30 to 40 years ago along with Brian. It's not so popular now. It went the way of Todd. #ryanmillerupdates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Sell shouldn't over think this... the obvious person is from sd...has the name..has the connections..the boosters + 1 new additional jacks booster... national recruiting... just hire ryan miller and be done with it.. don't try getting cute

Comment

Wow I was thinking tj would be a good pick but looking at it closer he has lost a lot of games. 2006-2010 under McDermott every year was at the bottom of the big 12 and no improvement over 4 years. Wins for 2-3 years under hoiberg. Goes to Washington 13-14 and 14-15 and is at the bottom of the barrel in the pac 12 there. Back at Iowa St and wins with prohm this year. But looking at a lot of recruits outside of Matt Thomas Iowa state likes to recruit a lot of transfers with character issues. Makes me a little nervous with recruiting and the fact that over half of his career he's been in the bottom of the conference. Honestly looking at this I wouldn't even consider him if we go assistant route, I'd go devries or Miller.

sells got a lot of McDermott ties so I'm sure he's looking at devries and tj, devries would be 100x better than tj

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Itd be hilarious if he was just catfishing everyone.
          Him being from SD ,I'm surprised he wasn't already following Jacks sports,but to be politically correct,he'd have to follow every college in the State also.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Him being from SD ,I'm surprised he wasn't already following Jacks sports,but to be politically correct,he'd have to follow every college in the State also.
            Mike and Ryan have been following their cousin their Macy and tweeting encouragement.
            Last edited by JACKGUYII; 04-10-2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualJacksFan View Post
              I don't much about Sell, but I do know that AD's that don't hire the coach that boosters prefer tend to not stay an AD for very long. I agree that the boosters will (or at least realistically should have major influence) in only because athletic departments depend so much on donations.
              If Sell wants to be "his own man" it could be the beginning of the end of his time at SDSU.
              [Got the B.S. flag out, ready to toss it....] I have no doubt that there have been programs in which boosters so totally ruled the roost that AD's were under their thumbs. But this post is a little over the top, isn't it? I suppose it's nothing more than saying the obvious: an AD could go off the rails and lose his job. But, I think we should all start with the proposition, there being no facts showing otherwise, that reasonable people will behave reasonably and that includes letting the AD do his job and letting the University President (hires/fires ADs) do his job. The post itself would seem to be a subtle suggestion that Justin Sell should not make the decision. That's BS. I don't care where he gets his advice and I hope that includes significant donors who want to put in their recommendations.

The quoted post starts with "I don't know much about Sell, but,..." Well, I do know Justin Sell. He'll make the decision he thinks is best for the Jacks (which, if the hire pans out, will be best for the stakeholders as well as for his own career path).
              Last edited by JackJD; 04-10-2016, 11:52 AM. Reason: BU

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                Sell shouldn't over think this... the obvious person is from sd...has the name..has the connections..the boosters + 1 new additional jacks booster... national recruiting... just hire ryan miller and be done with it.. don't try getting cute
                [Got another B.S. flag out, ready to toss.] Do we define "getting cute" as "any hiring decision that isn't Ryan Miller?" Fine to state a preference...I don't have one because I have nothing on which to make such a determination...but the best hire may not be Ryan Miller.

Justin Sell has done a remarkable job for SDSU. I have a sense that a few posters may be setting up their "told you so" arguments three years hence. And what do they have to lose? If Justin makes the best hire in the world and three years from now we're in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tourney, those who staked out their ground today on a potential hire who did not get hired, will have memory problems.

Again, stating preferences is fine (maybe even a message board poll would be fun) but I don't get the added "or else" shot (e.g. don't try getting cute; or being his own man is the beginning of the end).

Just another opinion.
                Last edited by JackJD; 04-10-2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

The two horses I think we really have to look at are devries and tj. Both are McDermotts guys and McDermott obviously has to have ties with sell to uni. I think that's going to be tough to overcome for any other candidates. After looking at things closely devries seems more like the solid hire. Nothing personal with tj but other than his McDermott ties I'm not sure how you can consider him a strong candidate at all. Most of his recruits other than Jake Thomas are character ?s transfers from across the country and really hasn't even won a whole lot. Darian has consistently won and seems to recruit more regionally.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                    You can't say it better than that! This should be the easiest hire he'll ever have. How often do you get a qualified coach with SD roots that WANTS to be here? And the fact that his brother brings big donor potential, the hire literally could pay for itself!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      [Got another B.S. flag out, ready to toss.] Do we define "getting cute" as "any hiring decision that isn't Ryan Miller?" Fine to state a preference...I don't have one because I have nothing on which to make such a determination...but the best hire may not be Ryan Miller.

Justin Sell has done a remarkable job for SDSU. I have a sense that a few posters may be setting up their "told you so" arguments three years hence. And what do they have to lose? If Justin makes the best hire in the world and three years from now we're in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tourney, those who staked out their ground today on a potential hire who did not get hired, will have memory problems.

Again, stating preferences is fine (maybe even a message board poll would be fun) but I don't get the added "or else" shot (e.g. don't try getting cute; or being his own man is the beginning of the end).

Just another opinion.
                      I'm certainly not hoping to say "I told you so" in 3 years. But I do think the way Sell best insulates himself from being second guessed is hiring what appears to be the "people's choice". If he hires Miller and 3 years from the now the program flounders, no one blames him because Miller looked like the easy, right move at the time. HOWEVER, if he hires someone OTHER than Miller, I think he could be dealing with a TON of second guessing in 3 years.
                      Of course he wants to be right, but whoever he hires (not named Krzyzewski) is a gamble. I'd hire the guy that is least likely to get me fired in 3 years if I'm wrong since you can never be certain who is "right".

Comment

If Miller gets the job anyone can anyone close to him speculate who and where his assistants might come from.

Comment

Ryan Miller may or may not be the best choice. Contrary to your opening statement, CasualJacksFan, Justin Sell DOES have to think this over.

At this point, this message board is not privy to the identity of all of the candidates (there likely are candidates whose names have not been mentioned on this message board). I think Justin Sell will make a sound, fact-based decision. Personally, I think there are a lot of positives about hiring Ryan Miller but I just don't know -- and I don't think anyone else posting here knows -- whether he is the best candidate at this time.
                          Last edited by JackJD; 04-10-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Ryan Miller may or may not be the best choice. Contrary to your opening statement, CasualJacksFan, Justin Sell DOES have to think this over.

At this point, this message board is not privy to the identity of all of the candidates (there likely are candidates whose names have not been mentioned on this message board). I think Justin Sell will make a sound, fact-based decision. Personally, I think there are a lot of positives about hiring Ryan Miller but I just don't know -- and I don't think anyone else posting here -- knows whether he is the best candidate at this time.
                            i agree 100% that there may be more but let's face it I'll be shocked if sell goes for someone outside of his friends network. Me personally I'm pulling for Ryan but want what's best for the program. I think tj would be a very big mistake based off of what I'm hearing and seeing. Has anyone heard anything about billiter?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
                              Has anyone heard anything about billiter?
                              Those I've talked with -- pure rumor and speculation -- suggest Billiter will not be a top candidate. That same group seems to think the Creighton Assistant, Devries, as well as Ryan Miller, will be top candidates along with a couple to-be-identified top DI assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                If Miller gets the job anyone can anyone close to him speculate who and where his assistants might come from.
                                If any of the current assistant coaches who have no head coaching experience get the job, I would like them to bring in an "older" coach in who has some previous head coaching experience and has made in game coaching decisions. That's the risk you take with hiring an assistant with no head coaching track record. Good recruiters do not necessarily make good in-game coaches.

Comment

Working...
                                X