Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    Obviously you're a huge Miller supporter and/or relative so I think you're pushing the anti-Tj narrative a bit much. The charges were dropped against one player so you have 2 players were arrested after they were out of ISU and 2 years after Tj left for Washington. The 2 got an OWI the summer before TJ's second year at WU. Is there no time limit for how long an coach is responsible for players he may or may not recruited? Didn't Freddy have a say about what kind of hoodlums were being brought in to his program?

Also, he was only in Washington 2 years but he' s responsible for their record. You also forgot to mention Washington had the # 7 ranked recruiting class in 2015. Color me shocked.

I don't really have an opinion on TJ but I think think you're laying way to much at the feet of an assistant coach when he wasn't even there. Perhaps you should stick to fawning over Ryan and his all important global connections.
    I think everyone has warts if you did deep enough. For example Ryan Miller's boss got fired because UNLV finished 7th twice and 3rd in the Mountain West (which isn't exactly a powerhouse conference) in the last 3 years with players Miller recruited. When most of your candidates don't have head coaching experience, it's makes Justin Sell's job a tough one.

Comment

HoopDirt.com@HoopDirt 21m21 minutes ago
      Great sources telling http://HoopDirt.com that Vince Taylor is also in the mix at SDSU. Taylor is a Duke grad and a Texas Tech assistant currently.

His bio is strong.
      http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-ba...or_850440.html

Comment

Originally posted by Borderboy View Post
        HoopDirt.com@HoopDirt 21m21 minutes ago
        Great sources telling http://HoopDirt.com that Vince Taylor is also in the mix at SDSU. Taylor is a Duke grad and a Texas Tech assistant currently.

His bio is strong.
        http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-ba...or_850440.html
        Vince Taylor would be the most experienced candidate. 7 years at Louisville, many years in the Big 10 and Big 12, and pro experience.

Comment

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 2m2 minutes ago
          Pretty sure Iowa State assistant TJ Otzelberger is the favorite for SDSU job at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            I think everyone has warts if you did deep enough. For example Ryan Miller's boss got fired because UNLV finished 7th twice and 3rd in the Mountain West (which isn't exactly a powerhouse conference) in the last 3 years with players Miller recruited. When most of your candidates don't have head coaching experience, it's makes Justin Sell's job a tough one.
            I'd have to do my research but I believe Ryan has only been there 2 years and not three and rice was fired 1.5 years in as well. Just speculation but I'm assuming including Ryan's run at New Mexico his record would be quite a bit better than tj with a bunch of recruits to the nba. However this isn't about Ryan because the sources I have say it's between devries and tj. I'm saying devries.

not related was pulling for him at first but I don't see it happening at all. I still think klink should get a shot if it's between him and tj.

Comment

I'd be excited about Taylor, seems like he had a big part in recruiting while at Minnesota.

Comment

Agreed, bigticket1, Sell does not have an easy task........The level of recruiter TJ is vs. Miller is totally different, a prime example is Stephen Zimmerman (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...immerman-7099/). Landing an NBA 1st round draft pick who only spends one year in college is a huge accomplishment for any assistant coach, especially at UNLV when every Pac 10 team was all over this kid as well. Miller can and will get big time recruits to come to Brookings. Lets not foget Nick's Hamburgers is great, but there are many college towns that are better draws than Brookings. He'll continue to land regional guys like Daum, Dykstra and Wolters but what makes him on a totally different level are his connections in Memphis, Indiana, Nevada and Australia etc..... Totally different level of reach than other candidates to get difference makers to Brookings. That doesn't even take into consideration the ties Mike Miller brings to the table......the problem is people don't give Ryan Miller enough credit for his accomplishments based on his own earned merit; guys like John Calipari, Steve Alford, Billy Donovan and Charles Barkley don't just personally endorse and give their name as a reference to just anybody, Miller has earned their trust, that's why he should be the next coach at SDSU, its that simple.

Comment

Whoever it may be, it looks as though they'll make less than Amy Williams, what do you think the job will pay +/- $400k a year?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                    Whoever it may be, it looks as though they'll make less than Amy Williams, what do you think the job will pay +/- $400k a year?

Nagy was making $212K here in his 21st year. I'd be surprised if the new coach is over $300K

Craig Smith was hired two years ago and makes $190K at USD.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                      So he didn't get the job because he's white... give me a break. It is interesting that his hometown passed on him
                      Race absolutely plays a role in university hiring practices.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...t-51-colleges/

We can fix racism with more racism!
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

I think it will be $200-240K.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I think it will be $200-240K.
                          I was thinking 240k-300k for a top "name" whatever that means and if coach clink ends up the guy I think it's closer to your bottom end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Absolutely. Justin Sell is a bright guy. There's not doubt he'll do his due diligence,and ask the right questions. I'm sure he's working with a budget also. Tough job but I'll support whoever he hires.

Comment

tweets and speculation coming fast and furious this morning.

First, the tweet from Goodman, then Zimmer tweeting about TJ... then Macy Miller retweeting a tweet that says Ryan should be brought in as head coach.

Maybe ALL four were interviewed yesterday, and we're in the "negotiations" part of it?

I had actually kind of talked myself into support Miller this morning, and then Zimmer tweeted that about TJ. Zim doesn't tweet stuff, without hearing something...he's doesn't do things "half cocked" like that TJ dude from SF Sports Radio.

That tells me something is up.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                tweets and speculation coming fast and furious this morning.

First, the tweet from Goodman, then Zimmer tweeting about TJ... then Macy Miller retweeting a tweet that says Ryan should be brought in as head coach.

Maybe ALL four were interviewed yesterday, and we're in the "negotiations" part of it?

I had actually kind of talked myself into support Miller this morning, and then Zimmer tweeted that about TJ. Zim doesn't tweet stuff, without hearing something...he's doesn't do things "half cocked" like that TJ dude from SF Sports Radio.

That tells me something is up.
                                Maybe he can hire Miller as his top assistant. From what I see looking at it, seems like Miller would be the guy, but interviews are a big part of it that we obviously dont see.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X