Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rumor: Nagy to Wright State

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Man, anyone else feel the exact opposite way? [EDIT: Just read the two posts above mine. Glad I'm not alone.] I loved his candor. Never used "coach-speak."
    Coach Nagy was very honest especially during the transition period where many times he flat admitted that the team was not ready to play.

Comment

I think one Nagy-ism that I will remember is two years ago when he announced that he told his players to play like they're loved. Now, I know he sincerely meant that but the wiseguy in me goes to a mental image of Garth from Wayne's World (Dana Carvey character) saying something like that while in the background I hear Scott McKenzie's hippie, love-in song from 1967 the Summer of Love, "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)".

but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        I also liked his postgame interviews. I would rather hear reality than have smoke blown up my a**.
        Spot on. I tried to never miss his post-game interviews. Exactly the type of coach I would have loved to play for.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

• Re: Nagy to Wright State

Anybody know how much Wright State offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I heard from an inside source that Nagy will be receiving a five year deal, worth up to 2.5 million

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJack303 View Post
              I heard from an inside source that Nagy will be receiving a five year deal, worth up to 2.5 million
              Enough to buy a new green blazer or two.

Comment

I guess my opinion is that Coach Nagy would have a hard time mentioning State in his press conference at all without being a little bit emotional. This is the only place he has been a head coach & been here almost all his coaching life. His love for the program and his current & former players is so evident. Not only that but this has been where his children were born and in some cases graduated high school.
                In terms of his post-game comments, to put it in today's terms, he is 100. If you don't like complete honesty then I guess you want someone else.
                I'm thankful that he and his family were here as long as they were and for all of the great things done both on and off the floor. Thankful that I got to be a very small part of his life while he was here. For all State has done for him he has given as much or more back imho.

Comment

Interesting that Coach Nagy and Coach Kampe will be conference opponents again. Those would be fun games to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                    I guess my opinion is that Coach Nagy would have a hard time mentioning State in his press conference at all without being a little bit emotional. This is the only place he has been a head coach & been here almost all his coaching life. His love for the program and his current & former players is so evident. Not only that but this has been where his children were born and in some cases graduated high school.
                    In terms of his post-game comments, to put it in today's terms, he is 100. If you don't like complete honesty then I guess you want someone else.
                    I'm thankful that he and his family were here as long as they were and for all of the great things done both on and off the floor. Thankful that I got to be a very small part of his life while he was here. For all State has done for him he has given as much or more back imho.
                    I agree with everything said. Its just one person doing one job, is what I keep telling myself, but to see him as head coach at Wright State is going to take some doing. I am going to miss Coach Nagy. Wright State was D2 in the 1970's and they never had football to my knowledge so to see them as a step up from SDSU is a little disturbing but its a fact. Wright-Patterson AFB is quite close to the campus I believe and who they draw as fans would be very interesting to know, but those sitting in the crowd at the press conference many were in my age group 70+. So apparently there is loyalty there somewhere. Why else would he have left?

Comment

Nagy is gone, Bye Bye, good luck. Time to move on, nothing to see here anymore. More important things to talk about. How about that price of tea in China.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJack303 View Post
                        Matt Zimmer just tweeted that number as well.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what type of a deal it is. If its base $500K a year, or if there is incentives, TV money, camp money, etc. Either way its a nice raise, and I feel its a job that can allow him to get a little more national attention than SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                            He's 49, it isn't just the money. If he still has aspirations to get a high profile job he had to take this job. The door is closing, there is no way he goes from SDSU to a power conference. He has to hit a middling school. Wright State has a pretty solid history and the school is in a part of the country where continued success, and tournament appearances will drive a lot of publicity. I have little doubt Nagy can win at Wright State. If he gets them on the type of run he has had here in the last 5 years he will get a shot at a much higher profile job. How about we just thank him for his time here. He's a really good man who deserves our respect and our thanks.

Plus, I think it is pretty exciting to see who we bring in. I have a lot of trust in Sell. It is a very attractive job and I have no doubt we will all be very happy once the process is over. This is a chance for our Men's program to take that next step.
                            I completely agree, this was my initial thought when I heard the rumor he may be heading to WSU. Nagy has 10-20 years left to be a head coach, and realistically a Power 5 program isn't going to take somebody that has proven themselves at just one school. They want to see you thrive in multiple conditions. If he wants to take the next step, now was the time and this was probably the right move.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros
                              What's bothering you son?
                              Your penchant for lobbing stink bombs randomly into threads is getting very, very tiresome.

Please desist.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Two good articles about Nagy at Wright State:

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...f-for-n/nqzMy/

One of the Wright State players possibly transferring out and has been granted his release to talk to other schools:

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...t-state/nqzgC/

Comment

Working...
                                X