Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12 SDSU vs. 5 Maryland, Spokane

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
    Fox Sports predictions: http://www.foxsports.com/college-bas...al-four-031516

Look at the second bullet point in the South region..
    That bullet point is the definition of apples to oranges.

SDSU losses of consequence- NDSU, IPFW,etc...
    Maryland losses of consequence- North Carolina, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana,et....

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
      Maryland has a large height advantage, that will lead to more blocks, deflections and rebounds. Shooting over 6'9" and 10" athletes is a lot different to shooting over summit league guards. Best chance is to drive in on those big bodies and get them in foul trouble early. NCAA refs seem to be calling a lot more incidental contact this year. Daum is good but unless the Jacks can have everyone step up and provide multiple shot choices and offensive threats I don't like their chances. I'm not pounding on the Jacks at all but the match ups don't look favorable- unless Maryland comes out flat and the Jacks punch them in the face early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      SkippyJAck is on point here in the first couple sentences. The Jacks need to be aggressive and take the ball at their big men and get contact and fouls. Daum is excellent at it and so is Deondre.

The counterpoint is that we need to avoid foul trouble for our bigs. That is a tall order but they have done it against other teams we have played with imposing front courts.

As others mentioned, we need to play a complete game. That is what has to happen for a lower seed to win. I like our chances!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

i actually pefer to go against a team that isnt a "great guard" team. Marylands can be really really good, but not great, Quick or bigger guards I think would be hard for our guards to stick with or handle on defense. Our guards are good, but not "quick" or "big". those would be more concerns to me. With Duam and Devine and Thesien I feel we should be ok inside actually. If fiegen and company held their own I thought against a big baylor team I figure these guys can against maryland too. Just using the Minn game as a common opponnent that should give our guys some confidence and not worry as much.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Don't think it will be much of an upset if the Jacks win. Good luck and get a couple wins. NDSU has FCOA to pay for.

Comment

I like the idea of having Daum playing on the perimeter some, but I think you have to mix it up with him some. Giving him some rhythm helps, but as big and athletic as they are, I just don't like our matchups inside. Their front line plus their top post reserve are averaging 4.6 blocks per game. Those four players average 6'10" and are all athletic. If we bring Daum out on the perimeter, I envision they match up one of their 6'9" forwards with him and leave Stone inside against Theisen. If we go with a small lineup, they will have to adjust. However, we won't matchup with them on the other end of the court.

It has been said many times on this thread, but I don't see us winning unless we have 3+ perimeter guys lighting it up from the arc. If we don't spread them out, we are going to have a difficult time scoring on them. When Minnesota beat Maryland 68-63, they did it with good guard play, points in transition, and good perimeter shooting. Joey King, Nate Mason, and Jordan Murphy scored 50 of the 68 points. King is the Gophers version of Daum, Mason is a guard, and Murphy is a Tellinghuisen type player. The big reason the Gophs won was the poor play of Maryland. That could happen Friday night if they overlook us, but I don't see Trimble having 15 turnovers like he did against Minnesota.

This Maryland team is good enough to be playing in the Final Four, but they've also played their worst basketball since the middle of February.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
              I like the idea of having Daum playing on the perimeter some, but I think you have to mix it up with him some. Giving him some rhythm helps, but as big and athletic as they are, I just don't like our matchups inside. Their front line plus their top post reserve are averaging 4.6 blocks per game. Those four players average 6'10" and are all athletic. If we bring Daum out on the perimeter, I envision they match up one of their 6'9" forwards with him and leave Stone inside against Theisen. If we go with a small lineup, they will have to adjust. However, we won't matchup with them on the other end of the court.

It has been said many times on this thread, but I don't see us winning unless we have 3+ perimeter guys lighting it up from the arc. If we don't spread them out, we are going to have a difficult time scoring on them. When Minnesota beat Maryland 68-63, they did it with good guard play, points in transition, and good perimeter shooting. Joey King, Nate Mason, and Jordan Murphy scored 50 of the 68 points. King is the Gophers version of Daum, Mason is a guard, and Murphy is a Tellinghuisen type player. The big reason the Gophs won was the poor play of Maryland. That could happen Friday night if they overlook us, but I don't see Trimble having 15 turnovers like he did against Minnesota.

This Maryland team is good enough to be playing in the Final Four, but they've also played their worst basketball since the middle of February.
              I envision us needing a game like we had against Colorado State last year to be able to beat Maryland, or at least be close and have a chance at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                SkippyJAck is on point here in the first couple sentences. The Jacks need to be aggressive and take the ball at their big men and get contact and fouls. Daum is excellent at it and so is Deondre.

The counterpoint is that we need to avoid foul trouble for our bigs. That is a tall order but they have done it against other teams we have played with imposing front courts.

As others mentioned, we need to play a complete game. That is what has to happen for a lower seed to win. I like our chances!

SUPERBUNNY
                I agree,it has to be there as a threat ,once a team has taken that away and you don't even try anymore ,your just about beat already unless you get crazy hot from the perimeter and get them to come out...can happen ,or not,game hinges on it to a certain extent.Got to put the ball into the hoop equal to them +1 to win.Great defense helps "weather" scoring struggles,but not entirely,still have to keep pace by the end of the game.Get the points however you can,pretty or ugly makes little difference.
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-15-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Getting their bigs in foul trouble will obviously help us a lot, but getting melo in foul trouble might be an even bigger deal. The more time we can make sulaimon and their other backup guards handle the ball will help us a lot too. They are pretty thin at the guard position.

ESPN says we have a 6.1 percent chance to upset maryland.

Comment

I think when Diamond Stone is on Daum, you'll see Mike post a little higher and then turn and face his defender. This position is where Daum is most dangerous against bigger posts. They have to respect his jump shot so the defender can't play off him, and Mike has been very good at using a pump to get his defender in the air, or a jab step to either clear space for a jumper or beat the defender off the dribble.

I'm also interested to see if there is a point in which Maryland will feel the need to double Daum. I highly doubt they will at the start, but if Mike is having a good offensive game, I think there comes a point in which they'll have to consider running a second defender at him.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm guessing that Maryland posts Diamond Stone on the low block and tries to get it to him early and often, especially when Daum is guarding him. When they watch tape and see how big a part of our offense Mike has been recently, they definitely will want to make him play defense and try to get him in foul trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                        Getting their bigs in foul trouble will obviously help us a lot, but getting melo in foul trouble might be an even bigger deal. The more time we can make sulaimon and their other backup guards handle the ball will help us a lot too. They are pretty thin at the guard position.

ESPN says we have a 6.1 percent chance to upset maryland.
                        I'm a Maryland homer, and even I think 6.1 percent is way too low. I've seen a couple computer ratings that put it more in the 30-40% range, and 1 in 3 sounds about right to me (admittedly I've only seen your championship game and some highlights of other games). Two more days is going to be a tough wait, but at least tomorrow has a few games to distract me. Hoping for an entertaining game.

Comment

What is the Maryland fan forum website?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
                            Hmm, I guess without a paid membership the place to go would be http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/...land-Sports-53
                            The member board at that site is where I generally go, but I can't see paying for a month just for a couple days.

Comment

It's just fun reading all the posts about the NCAA TOURNAMENT. Doing this three times in five years is awesome. I have zero feel for this game. Most websites give us a 30-35% chance of winning. I would say that's better than a "punchers" chance. The guards will need to be great on the offensive side and the bigs will need to be the same on the defensive side of the ball. Make Maryland into a jump shooting team,

Jumping on a plane tomorrow for Seattle and then driving across the state. The combination of the mountains, potential weather and early game time just made the drive from SD way too risky.

Go Rabbits! LETS WIN ONE OF THESE!

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
                                I'm sure there's more than one. Haven't bothered to look though. Perhaps a Terrapin lurker will stop by and let us know the best of the breed.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X