12 SDSU vs. 5 Maryland, Spokane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12 SDSU vs. 5 Maryland, Spokane

Jacks are 2000-1 to win the tournament. I might just have to put $100 on them.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Honestly, Maryland is a tough matchup for anyone. Watched them take Michigan State to the wire in the Big 10 SemiFinal.

I'm not as worried about offense as most...as Telly and Daum can shoot outside (and Thiessen can a bit, too). We should be able to get open looks out there, and create some space.

I am worried about the Defensive end...It's hard to keep those big boys off the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
        Key to games like this is to keep it close and let the stress build on the team that is supposed to win. Jacks are ahead under 10 minutes to play, they get tight and start thinking about losing to the 12 seed. If they go up big early, it might be a long night for our Jacks. Stay out of foul trouble and hit your 3 point shots.

There you have it. I think the pressure gets to a lot of the higher seeds late in the game. Upsets are all anyone talks about during the first two rounds and you know the players will be thinking about it late in a close game - especially in the 5-12 matchup. Keep it close and there is a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          Jacks are 2000-1 to win the tournament. I might just have to put $100 on them.
          Speaking of odds, FWIW, realtimeRPI is predicting us to lose by 4, with a 40.5% chance of winning, and kenpom is predicting us to lose by 6, with a 27% chance of winning.

The spread is up to 9.5, so that would indicate money coming in on Maryland.

Comment

Here's a link to an edited clip from ESPN980 here in the DMV. MD Coach on the Rabbits and game prep.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp7sr5weta...bbits.mp4?dl=0

Full audio here... http://www.espn980.com/audio-vault/#

#RabbitTude

Comment

The Testudo Times has a nice breakdown of what Mike Daum brings to the floor.

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland...ment-mike-daum
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                Honestly, Maryland is a tough matchup for anyone. Watched them take Michigan State to the wire in the Big 10 SemiFinal.

I'm not as worried about offense as most...as Telly and Daum can shoot outside (and Thiessen can a bit, too). We should be able to get open looks out there, and create some space.

I am worried about the Defensive end...It's hard to keep those big boys off the boards.
                It will be interesting if the Jacks play Theisen and Daum together. Theisen will need to stay out of foul trouble as he will have his hands full with Stone. Devine needs to be ready, as he is probably going to get more minutes than he has recently.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

The Telly from the beginning of the year is the exact guy needed to pull off the upset. His shooting hasn't really been nearly as consistent it seems the mid-late part of the season. He's going to need to really step up.

Actually all of our shooters will need to be on their A-game. They will need to be hitting shots to open up the inside. Daum, whole a great player, cannot take on that front line if the defense is sagging
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I hope to see Daum operate further from the basket and make Stone guard him on the perimeter.

Comment

On the Dan Patrick Show this morning, they were going through some of the favorite bands of the coaches that are in the tournament. They were making fun of Coach Calipari's favorite band being Train, then Dan says "How about South Dakota State's coach? His favorite is Boston, nice." Fun fact.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        On the Dan Patrick Show this morning, they were going through some of the favorite bands of the coaches that are in the tournament. They were making fun of Coach Calipari's favorite band being Train, then Dan says "How about South Dakota State's coach? His favorite is Boston, nice." Fun fact.
                        http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-favorite-band

Comment

Originally posted by GeoJack View Post
                          I hope to see Daum operate further from the basket and make Stone guard him on the perimeter.
                          I completely agree with this. Daum won't be able to bump with him in the post. Hopefully we can make him uncomfortable by stretching the offense, much like we did early in the season. It worries me that Nagy was quoted as saying "we're going to need to find a way to play a lot bigger". I just don't think trying to match up with their post game is the way to beat them.

Comment

Fox Sports predictions: http://www.foxsports.com/college-bas...al-four-031516

Look at the second bullet point in the South region..

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              The Telly from the beginning of the year is the exact guy needed to pull off the upset. His shooting hasn't really been nearly as consistent it seems the mid-late part of the season. He's going to need to really step up.

Actually all of our shooters will need to be on their A-game. They will need to be hitting shots to open up the inside. Daum, whole a great player, cannot take on that front line if the defense is sagging
                              Maryland has a large height advantage, that will lead to more blocks, deflections and rebounds. Shooting over 6'9" and 10" athletes is a lot different to shooting over summit league guards. Best chance is to drive in on those big bodies and get them in foul trouble early. NCAA refs seem to be calling a lot more incidental contact this year. Daum is good but unless the Jacks can have everyone step up and provide multiple shot choices and offensive threats I don't like their chances. I'm not pounding on the Jacks at all but the match ups don't look favorable- unless Maryland comes out flat and the Jacks punch them in the face early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

If we put Daum at the 3-point line, will their bigs follow him out? I don't see him being able to bang with them for a full game. Pull him out, drive to the basket and dish. Let's hope the threes are falling.
                                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                                X