Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12 SDSU vs. 5 Maryland, Spokane

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    As someone who criticizes Coach Nagy quite a bit, I want to commend him for being able to change his coaching style so much since the transition to DI.

I still have issues with some of his personality traits, but have always believed he is a good man with good intentions. It takes an unbelievable person in any profession to go through what he has, make changes to who you are, and come out the other side a winner.

Kudos to you coach!
    Most people are mistaken that Nagy is this grumpy man who is hard to get along with. Spend a few hours with him outside of a basketball gym and you'll realize he's got a great personality, very smart and is a joy to be around. This goes for the rest of his coaching staff as well. Lots of good dues on that staff right now. Some or most of which we may have to replace if we pull an upset on Friday.

Comment

This SDSU team is different. But will that be enough to win against Maryland?

1 - Nate Wolters is gone. He was the All-American and future NBA player that had a game that could compete with the Power 5 conferences. He was also the focal point that our opposition could game plan for. You could argue that teams will focus on Mike Daum like what happened at the Summit League Championships. Daum has been the player that our offense has revolved around during the 2nd half of the season. However, Nate has been replaced by the three-headed monster of Bittle, Marshall, and Parks. Sounds like a law firm, but all three are leaders and when all three are playing well, this team is smoking! Add to that Tellinghuisen when he was playing well during portions of the year.

During our most dominating portion of our season, Daum was a contributor while the others were leading. At the peak of our season when we blew the doors off of the Barn in Minneapolis, Daum scored 6 points in 16 minutes of action. Marshall didn't play because of an injury. Bittle had arguably his best game of the year and possibly of his career with 25 points on 10-14 shooting. I bring this up, because in our two previous appearances - the opposition had to focus on Nate, because our offense revolved around his game. This year, we may not have as big of a weapon as Nate, but we have more options for scoring. Maryland will focus on stopping Daum with one or a combination of their 6'9" or taller all-conference players. So it will be imperative that our wings and guards are confident lofting up shots from both inside the arc (6th in the nation) and beyond.

2 - Maryland scares me. This team is in a bit of a funk now, but they have the talent that can compete with any team in the Dance. You could argue that their funk started in January when they lost by three at Michigan. It did crescendo when they lost back-to-back games against Wisconsin at home and on the road at Minnesota. They were ranked #2 in the nation going into the Badger game. Including those pair of losses, they have 3 wins and 5 losses to close their season. The other three losses: by 4 points at a very talented Purdue, by 18 at regular season champion Indiana, and by three in the conference semifinal game to the conference champion Spartans.

What scares me is their starting five. 6'3" guard, Melo Trimble leads the team. He was second team All BIG TEN as a sophomore. This former McDonald's All-American has a complete game as he led the Terps in scoring, assists, free throw percentage and steals. Another McDonald's All-American and third team All BIG TEN selection Diamond Stone anchors a very strong front line. At 6'11" 255 lbs, he is a mismatch inside for our front line. If he was the only big man for the Terps, we could game plan for them. However, when you add two very talented 6'9" forwards to the mix, it makes for a difficult matchup for us. Both Robert Carter and Jake Layman were honorable mention All BIG TEN and were top 100 players coming out of high school. That front line can all score, rebound, defend and were 4-star recruits coming out of high school. The final piece of the starting lineup is 6'4" guard Rasheed Sulaimon. Sulaimon was the first player Mike Krzyzewski kicked off the Blue Devils squad in his 35 years of coaching. He was a very talented guard out of Texas, that had his personal battles while at Duke. He brings defensive grit to the perimeter, excellent shooting (44.8%) from beyond the arc, and can back up Trimble at the point.

That first five is as talented as any first five in college basketball. However, that could work against them if they are not ready to play. No doubt they will be looking to their likely 2nd round matchup with Cal who features two likely NBA lottery picks. It would be hard for them not to look past us when you look at the lineups on paper. So we need to use that to our advantage and strike quickly shooting on Friday.

This is a bad year to have our highest seed coming into the tournament. It would be easy for me to see a number of 4 or 5 seeds making the Final Four this year. There just isn't that much difference in talent in the top 16 to 20 teams in the nation.

Comment

As I recall, there was supposed to be no way SDSU could compete with Baylor in 2012 or with Michigan in 2013, either.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Am I the only one that loves this matchup?

First, we get a very volatile #5 seed in Maryland! Let's face it, if a #5 seed shows up and plays well against a #12 they are going to win. But, if they don't, then anything is possible. Plus, we have a seasoned team with several players that have been there before and a man in The Dauminator that is a matchup nightmare for anyone.

Second, the location is just fine. Sure, somewhere Jacks fans could have driven to would be great too but at least it isn't in a location accessible for Terps fans.

Third, how about the story lines? The tortoise and the hare? That will get huge play along with some of the great stories on our team like The Dauminator, Deondre, and Coach Nagy. We have a chance to really be a fan favorite!

All in all, we have a good first round game. I will agree that the overall bracket is flat out loaded. Win game 1 and probably face a Cal team with 3 potential lottery picks that is peaking at the right time. Beat them and get the chance to play overall #1 seed Kansas.

What the hell? Let's see if that glass slipper will fit a rabbit's foot?

GBGBGJ!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            Am I the only one that loves this matchup?

First, we get a very volatile #5 seed in Maryland! Let's face it, if a #5 seed shows up and plays well against a #12 they are going to win. But, if they don't, then anything is possible. Plus, we have a seasoned team with several players that have been there before and a man in The Dauminator that is a matchup nightmare for anyone.

Second, the location is just fine. Sure, somewhere Jacks fans could have driven to would be great too but at least it isn't in a location accessible for Terps fans.

Third, how about the story lines? The tortoise and the hare? That will get huge play along with some of the great stories on our team like The Dauminator, Deondre, and Coach Nagy. We have a chance to really be a fan favorite!

All in all, we have a good first round game. I will agree that the overall bracket is flat out loaded. Win game 1 and probably face a Cal team with 3 potential lottery picks that is peaking at the right time. Beat them and get the chance to play overall #1 seed Kansas.

What the hell? Let's see if that glass slipper will fit a rabbit's foot?

GBGBGJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            SDSU is that team that's supposed to be Kryptonite for all these big nasty brutish athletic P5 teams: a mid-major with experienced guards and a decent inside game.

The trick will be to make it close at the end. This team knows how to close out games.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This is the NCAA tournament. Anything can happen.

They way the Jacks defended in the SLT, I'm pretty optimistic. The only thing that worries me is if the shots aren't falling for Marshall again. His offensive play in the this game will be huge. He needs a couple 3's to fall early.

The best that could happen is if the media keeps quiet about the Jacks pulling off an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                SDSU is that team that's supposed to be Kryptonite for all these big nasty brutish athletic P5 teams: a mid-major with experienced guards and a decent inside game.

The trick will be to make it close at the end. This team knows how to close out games.
                All three experienced guards will need to be on if we have any hope against MD. Both Bittle and George had poor offensive performances in all three games of the SLT. Both will need to contribute for us to win.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                  This is the NCAA tournament. Anything can happen.

They way the Jacks defended in the SLT, I'm pretty optimistic. The only thing that worries me is if the shots aren't falling for Marshall again. His offensive play in the this game will be huge. He needs a couple 3's to fall early.

The best that could happen is if the media keeps quiet about the Jacks pulling off an upset.
                  Guess I am in the other camp and would perfer to hear that this team can beat maryland. Not to get them cocky, but to get them confident.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I love the start time for the game! No sitting around all day. The team will wake up, have a breakfast meeting and go through game plan, and then head to the arena. That sure beats being the late game and having to watch stuff on TV all day and have everything just build up internally.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Maryland is 5-5 in their last 10. It's all about getting hot and being on a streak as you enter the tournament. Maryland is not too hot right now. Sure, Maryland will probably beat us 6-8 out of 10 times, but at least there's a chance that's somewhat realistic. It's March, anything can happen!

Comment

Good Luck rabbits. Anybody find this match up funny as it is the Tortoise vs the Hare....

Comment

No doubt about it our guards are going to have to play far better than they have at the end of the season. Marshall, Parks, and BITTLE will have to be on and hit a few threes each to give us a chance in this one. We are really good as a team when Bittle is good, hoping for some Senior magic. I like the 9 days off going in to this game with our banged up guards. Vegas opening line I saw is 9 points, probably more than most 12-5 match ups.

On paper we should get killed. Bittle and Telly guarding a 6-9 and 6-10 guy each?? There is a reason this Maryland team is struggling down the stretch. Its difficult to see why when you see the size and pedigree of those guys. Hopefully we get to learn why on Friday!!

Comment

Here is Lunardi giving his take on if the Jackrabbits can pull the upset:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14970207

Comment

Key to games like this is to keep it close and let the stress build on the team that is supposed to win. Jacks are ahead under 10 minutes to play, they get tight and start thinking about losing to the 12 seed. If they go up big early, it might be a long night for our Jacks. Stay out of foul trouble and hit your 3 point shots.

Comment

Telly may be limited to how many charges he can take from the 6'9" guy.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X