Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Summit Observations 1st Half

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Will this be the first year the Summit gets two into the tourney? The League has to be very close to that point. Good to see several schools be so competitive.
    Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
    I wish that were possible. But no. Not happening.
    I'd be curious to see if that would've been a possibility had SDSU managed to stay injury-free during that stretch when Marshall and Bittle went out (unless SDSU wins the Summit League Tournament, in which case their record wouldn't matter for the purposes of this conversation).

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      I'd be curious to see if that would've been a possibility had SDSU managed to stay injury-free during that stretch when Marshall and Bittle went out (unless SDSU wins the Summit League Tournament, in which case their record wouldn't matter for the purposes of this conversation).
      I do believe injuries during the season are taken into account when selecting the at-large teams.

The only way I could possibly see an at-large happening in the Summit is if Omaha, IPFW and SDSU all win out and then SDSU loses to either IPFW or Omaha in the finals. That would put SDSU at 25-6 with an RPI in the mid-30's and IPFW and Omaha would probably both be in the 65 RPI range, giving the league three legitimate quality teams to go along with the conference having roughly the #11 ranking among all conferences for RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        I do believe injuries during the season are taken into account when selecting the at-large teams.

The only way I could possibly see an at-large happening in the Summit is if Omaha, IPFW and SDSU all win out and then SDSU loses to either IPFW or Omaha in the finals. That would put SDSU at 25-6 with an RPI in the mid-30's and IPFW and Omaha would probably both be in the 65 RPI range, giving the league three legitimate quality teams to go along with the conference having roughly the #11 ranking among all conferences for RPI.
        Probably still wouldn't happen. Think about the team(Colorado State) we beat in the first round of the NIT last year, 27-5, RPI in 30's and still didn't go dancing other than the NIT. In addition I think the Mountain West is a little more regarded than the Summit League.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogs53 View Post
          Probably still wouldn't happen. Think about the team(Colorado State) we beat in the first round of the NIT last year, 27-5, RPI in 30's and still didn't go dancing other than the NIT. In addition I think the Mountain West is a little more regarded than the Summit League.
          I agree that it would still be highly unlikely. I was simply putting forth the only possible scenario that it COULD happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            I agree that it would still be highly unlikely. I was simply putting forth the only possible scenario that it COULD happen.
            Also when there are not a lot of great top teams. Its a year anything could maybe happen. So not sure if that would help the situation or not.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Will this be the first year the Summit gets two into the tourney? The League has to be very close to that point. Good to see several schools be so competitive.
              Unlikely, but the league is getting closer. I really like what Darren Hansen is doing at Omaha, they've become a solid addition to the SL. They'll take a step back next year but they have some good young kids. And his staff is recruiting well. If 3-4 of the following...SDSU, NDSU, USD, Omaha, IPFW, & ORU continue to pump out 20 win seasons we may have a shot at 2 tournament teams in the future, have to imagine the SL is becoming comparable to the WCC & not too far behind the MVC.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogs53 View Post
                This. Zero chance this year. If the rep this year gets a win or two then maybe next. The key is winning games in the Big Tourney, not RPI or regular season record. RPI and wins can improve seeding though so its always beneficial when the league has several strong teams.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I really like where SDSU is at right now. Yes, we have a couple losses but we also have dealt with some injuries. Getting healthy now and really starting to play well as a team. Defense is looking good and they are crushing teams on the boards. You don't have to shoot well to win when you do those two things. When they shoot well they blow teams out. Our depth will be a huge factor all the way through.

They are the cream of the crop without any question. I expected the rest of the conference to be pretty even. Omaha has been a surprise. The rest have been inconsistent. SDSU is getting everyone's best shot and they should.

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

As for two in the tournament, I think the only chance would have been an undefeated Jackrabbit team in the conference losing in the conference tourney final. Even then it would be iffy. The only way it changes is more big OOC wins and for the Summit rep to consistently win games in the tourney. Having deep runs in the other tourneys are nice but not sure they get noticed by those making the decisions on the NCAA.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

You need wins versus top 50 and top 100 teams. The Summit was not close to getting an at-large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        You need wins versus top 50 and top 100 teams. The Summit was not close to getting an at-large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yep, multiple league teams with wins against top-50 programs, and a couple top-25 pelts on the wall by league teams, before the multiple-teams-to-NCAA talk really gets serious.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

ESPN has came out with their first "bubble watch" article. Only 4 "mid-majors" are listed

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Monmouth- RPI: 34, SOS: 130
                          Wichita St- RPI: 37, SOS: 100
                          Saint Mary's- RPI: 46, SOS: 215
                          Gonzaga- RPI: 72, SOS: 118

SDSU- RPI: 48, SOS: 163

I was looking at those teams resumes vs. SDSU's and the thing that stands out is that the Jacks have 3 losses to teams with a RPI lower than 150 (granted 2 of those loses SDSU was less than 100%). St. Mary's 2 losses are to teams that are in the top 100, but they only have 5 wins against the top 150 (SDSU has 6). The losses at UMKC and Weber State are holding back the Jacks from being a contender for a bubble spot.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll.../_/teamId/2571 (SDSUs Resume)
                          http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../_/teamId/2608 (St.Marys Resume)

Comment

Stop the crazy talk. The Summit is a one bid league this year and for the foreseeable future. Regardless of RPI.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Stop the crazy talk. The Summit is a one bid league this year and for the foreseeable future. Regardless of RPI.
                              There may be some light at the end of the long tunnel. As Creighton left the MVC and Butler left the Horizon, there may be the formation of a small vacuum that the Summit may be able to fill an at large with some continued improvement. I am not certain what the foreseeable future might be in days and nights, but I would not assume it will take 10 years. Meanwhile, the top 5 teams this year could make more progress again next year and I would not be surprised to see the league keep its distinction of being in the top 12 conferences or better. I can maintain some optimism as I remember Centenary beating the Jackrabbits in Frost.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                                ESPN has came out with their first "bubble watch" article. Only 4 "mid-majors" are listed

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Monmouth- RPI: 34, SOS: 130
                                Wichita St- RPI: 37, SOS: 100
                                Saint Mary's- RPI: 46, SOS: 215
                                Gonzaga- RPI: 72, SOS: 118

SDSU- RPI: 48, SOS: 163

I was looking at those teams resumes vs. SDSU's and the thing that stands out is that the Jacks have 3 losses to teams with a RPI lower than 150 (granted 2 of those loses SDSU was less than 100%). St. Mary's 2 losses are to teams that are in the top 100, but they only have 5 wins against the top 150 (SDSU has 6). The losses at UMKC and Weber State are holding back the Jacks from being a contender for a bubble spot.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll.../_/teamId/2571 (SDSUs Resume)
                                http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../_/teamId/2608 (St.Marys Resume)
                                Actually only two teams should be on that list, Wichita State and Gonzaga will be in the big dance.

Comment

Working...
                                X