Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU @ IUPUI Jaguars

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
    I'm referring to penetration in the context of our offense not through transition. Parks and Marshall have a lot of shifty to their game and can beat nearly all who guard them at times off the dribble. Get into the lane and drop off the ball through rotation. Moffit has shown the greatest ability to do that but doesn't have the ball in his hands nearly the same amount as P&M. We got outrebounded by 4 and created 13 turnovers. Neither of those are bad stats.
    Not having Bittle allows defenses to help on Parks and Marshall since neither Moffitt or King have shown the ability to knock down perimeter shots with any consistency. And having our post out at the free throw line setting screens much of the time provides easy help when our guards do beat their defender off the dribble. With Bittle out, I believe a line-up of Theisen, Daum, Tellinghuisen, Parks and Marshall might be a better alternative. Daum and Telly can stretch the floor and open up the middle. And Daum could also be pretty effective posting up most 4's. And Telly could also do that with a lot of 3's.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      i've always said...you basically start 10 points down on the road and 10 up at home(especially Frost)in conference...at the D1 level. We played a terrible game and lost by 7. Happens every year at least once. Problem is this is the 3rd poor game in a row. Need to get right before the next stretch.

1 positive: Great game Mike Daum!
      I just hope that Marshall starts playing better. He has shot 3-10, 5-16 and 5-14 in the three games since he came back. Hopefully he he can get back to 100% soon or Bittle will be back soon and hopefully he can get back into the swing of things faster.
      Once everybody gets healthy and playing like they can, all will be good again. I just hope that happens sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Not having Bittle allows defenses to help on Parks and Marshall since neither Moffitt or King have shown the ability to knock down perimeter shots with any consistency. And having our post out at the free throw line setting screens much of the time provides easy help when our guards do beat their defender off the dribble. With Bittle out, I believe a line-up of Theisen, Daum, Tellinghuisen, Parks and Marshall might be a better alternative. Daum and Telly can stretch the floor and open up the middle. And Daum could also be pretty effective posting up most 4's. And Telly could also do that with a lot of 3's.
        I would like to see a different rotation at times and like that lineup in terms of flexibility. I don't think anyone should get down on this team because of the loss. With a full team, we can beat anyone in the conference. Let's just hope we get healthy soon as 91Jack said!
        Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

A big part of Tellinghuisen's problem is probably that he's playing out of position. By necessity, he plays more 4 than 3. If Connor Devine and Logan Doyle could step it up and become decent backups at the 4 and 5, perhaps Theisen and Daum could spend more time on the floor together, and Telly could spend more time on the perimeter as a 3. Devine plays a little against tall teams, but Doyle rarely seems to get in, even during garbage time.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            Easiest way to get penetration is through transition. We aren't creating turnovers or rebounding well enough to do that. If the posts are our strength (which I agree with), we should not be getting out-rebounded like we were last night.

I agree with what someone else wrote earlier, we are going to be most successful when we can score 75+ points. I also agree with another poster that Bittle's absence is huge. Probably bigger than Marshall's was. Spacing on offense, defense, rebounding, and intangibles are all better with Bittle in the lineup.

Does it seem like Telly is slumping badly to anyone else? His field goal percentage is down about 6% and his 3 point accuracy is down about 5%. 54% on free throws???? He appears physically better than last year, but his performance has been down, IMO. Although he is rebounding better. Might just be my perception as I had high hopes for him this year.

This loss and our loss to UMKC were way worse than our football loss to WIU, IMO. I would not be surprised to see us lay another egg in Vermillion this year. I look forward to discussions on this board in the near future about how we always lose big games or to inferior teams when we shouldn't, holding Coach Nagy accountable, and the Athletic Department demanding excellence from our big time program.
            I think what we all need to understand is that we need everyone to be healthy. Remember that was Marshall third game and he looked extremely fatigued. To say one person is more important or less important is crazy. If your not hitting outside shots it eliminates any driving lanes for Marshall and parks. If you watched the game you saw how difficult those two had trying to get into the lane. Even when Marshall penetrated and kicked the people he kicked to were moffitt snd king who are not necessarily knockdown shooters. Shooters stretch the floor, non shooters shrink the floor. That's were Jake would have helped because he'll knockdown shots but also penetrate and kick to find open shooters. We are a good mid major team without our full compliment we have the potential to be a great mid major when everyone is healthy. HURRY BACK JAKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              A big part of Tellinghuisen's problem is probably that he's playing out of position. By necessity, he plays more 4 than 3. If Connor Devine and Logan Doyle could step it up and become decent backups at the 4 and 5, perhaps Theisen and Daum could spend more time on the floor together, and Telly could spend more time on the perimeter as a 3. Devine plays a little against tall teams, but Doyle rarely seems to get in, even during garbage time.
              I think this happens next season when we no longer have a guard dominated line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                I think this happens next season when we no longer have a guard dominated line-up.
                If Loudon Vollbrecht can contribute next year, that will give Daum some time to move over to the 4 and Telly over to the 3. I am not certain where Dykman would fit as a 3 or 4. Flatten will also be an addition to the current guards. Meanwhile, we need Bittle back on the floor for some stability.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  That was what I was saying during the game and why I was asking if Devine was physically ok - but I kept ggetting shouted down by people who wanted to blame the play of our guards.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                    That was what I was saying during the game and why I was asking if Devine was physically ok - but I kept ggetting shouted down by people who wanted to blame the play of our guards.
                    Devine is a fine young man, but I feel more confident with Daum and Theisen out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X