Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU @ IUPUI Jaguars

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
    Agreed! Jacks are struggling on offense no doubt but the Jag's D is pretty salty. They are tough to score on with good size and quickness. They seem to be a team on the rise. They will no doubt be around .500 in conference IMO.
    As I said before IUPUI is a much different team than in the past. The talent is there and getting that big hill-billy, Hall was a good get. Not as good as Daum, but he is a gamer.

Comment

Take the ball to the hole occassionally. We are getting zero easy baskets because we have NO ball penetration. Our posts are one of our strengths right now but Parks and Marshall look like they feel the need to shoot whenever they are open. I don't remember Marshall just jacking up 3's all the time last year.

That be said, it's not a bad loss. That's a decent team and a good wakeup call for the boys.
      Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

This game highlights the biggest weakness for this team....scoring droughts. Don't have that go to guy right now. I think Deondre will be once the Jacks are back to full strength, he stepped up big time last year.

Its a tough loss and should get people off the at-large bid, 12 seed, 25 win season pipe dream and back to reality. Win 3 games in Sioux Falls, get a 13 and hope for a great draw.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I see a lot of one-on-one action by the man with the ball and others standing around watching him. This is a motion offense... gotta keep moving and setting screens.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            This game highlights the biggest weakness for this team....scoring droughts. Don't have that go to guy right now. I think Deondre will be once the Jacks are back to full strength, he stepped up big time last year.

Its a tough loss and should get people off the at-large bid, 12 seed, 25 win season pipe dream and back to reality. Win 3 games in Sioux Falls, get a 13 and hope for a great draw.
            Unless we go the rest of the season with only 1 or 2 losses, I don't think the at large bid is a possibility, but we are still on the short list of mid major at large possibilities. http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...-wichita-state

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post

That be said, it's not a bad loss. That's a decent team and a good wakeup call for the boys.
              Will definitely be an interesting series of practices with no games for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Will definitely be an interesting series of practices with no games for a week.
                Do you think someone will be yelled at by Coach Nagy?

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                  Given their performance OOC, if they do well in conference, that would just make the conference look bad, IMO.

Bad bad loss, to a team that can't get 500 fans to come watch them. Bad. Just bad. It's the SDSU way. Lose to inferior opponents, they should beat.
                  I was watching the highlights and man there was seriously no one in that arena. Sad. There is no excuse, but that type of practice atmosphere probably would be tough to play at your best.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Take the ball to the hole occassionally. We are getting zero easy baskets because we have NO ball penetration. Our posts are one of our strengths right now but Parks and Marshall look like they feel the need to shoot whenever they are open. I don't remember Marshall just jacking up 3's all the time last year.

Easiest way to get penetration is through transition. We aren't creating turnovers or rebounding well enough to do that. If the posts are our strength (which I agree with), we should not be getting out-rebounded like we were last night.

I agree with what someone else wrote earlier, we are going to be most successful when we can score 75+ points. I also agree with another poster that Bittle's absence is huge. Probably bigger than Marshall's was. Spacing on offense, defense, rebounding, and intangibles are all better with Bittle in the lineup.

Does it seem like Telly is slumping badly to anyone else? His field goal percentage is down about 6% and his 3 point accuracy is down about 5%. 54% on free throws???? He appears physically better than last year, but his performance has been down, IMO. Although he is rebounding better. Might just be my perception as I had high hopes for him this year.

This loss and our loss to UMKC were way worse than our football loss to WIU, IMO. I would not be surprised to see us lay another egg in Vermillion this year. I look forward to discussions on this board in the near future about how we always lose big games or to inferior teams when we shouldn't, holding Coach Nagy accountable, and the Athletic Department demanding excellence from our big time program.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      Easiest way to get penetration is through transition. We aren't creating turnovers or rebounding well enough to do that. If the posts are our strength (which I agree with), we should not be getting out-rebounded like we were last night.

I agree with what someone else wrote earlier, we are going to be most successful when we can score 75+ points. I also agree with another poster that Bittle's absence is huge. Probably bigger than Marshall's was. Spacing on offense, defense, rebounding, and intangibles are all better with Bittle in the lineup.

Does it seem like Telly is slumping badly to anyone else? His field goal percentage is down about 6% and his 3 point accuracy is down about 5%. 54% on free throws???? He appears physically better than last year, but his performance has been down, IMO. Although he is rebounding better. Might just be my perception as I had high hopes for him this year.

This loss and our loss to UMKC were way worse than our football loss to WIU, IMO. I would not be surprised to see us lay another egg in Vermillion this year. I look forward to discussions on this board in the near future about how we always lose big games or to inferior teams when we shouldn't, holding Coach Nagy accountable, and the Athletic Department demanding excellence from our big time program.
                      Telly is in a HUGE slump. He seems to have lost all of his confidence. He looked like a star last year and this year he's almost a liability out there. I wonder if he's hurt.

As for the snarky stuff...no comment.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Agree with a lot of that. Maybe Telly is in the soph slump. Some have a breakout year and some regress for some reason. He looks physically fine, but yeah some of his shots are rather off for a guy who can be a really good shooter. Hopefully Bittle comes back to full strength because it looks like how last year we started a little rough, had our transition with Marshall then really took off to end the year. This year seems backwards. Took off to start the year, Struggling in the middle and who knows how this team with end. This is a bad loss for sure. IUPUI came to play, we didnt. Not the first time that has happened to an SDSU team and wont be the last.

On a side note, thanks to Duam we are doing as good as we are this year. If he doesnt develop and play like he has, he might be the unsung hero of this team. Looking forward to the rest of his career.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Tellingheusen's struggles have seemed obvious to me since about halftime in the Texas Tech game. He's been doing a decent job of defending and typically is a good rebounder but recently he has often been a hole on offense. It would have been nice to have Flatten the past few weeks to give someone else (with similar height) a chance to provide a spark. That's why I think we have been missing something substantial with him out.

Win at home, split on the road. I still think any team that pulls this off will finish with a top-2 seed. If this league really is the 10th best in the country there will be very few "easy" road games for anyone. Let's hope we get all our guys back by February.

Comment

Daum offensively has been great but boy I'd like him to step up on the defensive end. He got a quick hook for not hustling back last night and hopefully that'll inspire him. He has great length but blocks/alters very few shots. Telly has been up and down offensively but he's not getting the wide open looks he got last year either. He's much more part of the game plan when teams play the Jacks. He'll be fine but yeah, his confidence seems up and down a lot.

We really need Jake back. He's the leader of the team and his toughness rubs off on others.

Comment

I'm referring to penetration in the context of our offense not through transition. Parks and Marshall have a lot of shifty to their game and can beat nearly all who guard them at times off the dribble. Get into the lane and drop off the ball through rotation. Moffit has shown the greatest ability to do that but doesn't have the ball in his hands nearly the same amount as P&M. We got outrebounded by 4 and created 13 turnovers. Neither of those are bad stats.

Comment

I'm referring to penetration in the context of our offense not through transition. Parks and Marshall have a lot of shifty to their game and can beat nearly all who guard them at times off the dribble. Get into the lane and drop off the ball through rotation. Moffit has shown the greatest ability to do that but doesn't have the ball in his hands nearly the same amount as P&M. We got outrebounded by 4 and created 13 turnovers. Neither of those are bad stats.
                                I'm not disagreeing perse, but from what I understand of basketball, penetration comes one of four ways:

1-during transition
                                2-good ball movement
                                3-dribbling and trying to get your defender off balance enough to get past them
                                4-being much more athletic than your defender and blowing past them

Number 4 is moot, nobody on the roster is that kind of talent IMO. Number 3 leaves 4 players standing around watching, and the players on our roster who are capable of it aren't known as great passers. A defense on its heels due to transition or out of position due to great ball movement is the kind of penetration I would love.

My perception is that we were advancing the ball much more quickly earlier in the season - which is easier to do off a defensive rebound or turnover. It seemed like Marshall was on a dead sprint bringing it up court. I could be wrong on that.

Getting out rebounded is always bad.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X