Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU vs MTSU

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    I thought last year's crowd looked better, but there probably were not more than 200 empty seats. It's still disappointing that game was not sold out way ahead of time. We're talking about a 3,000 seat arena in a city with over 200,000 people within an hour drive. I would not think that an extra $15 per seat would be enough (on it's own) to keep the game from selling out. It's a bigger apathy issue.

Whatever the case, I've really enjoyed both Pentagon games. That's a great building and the vibe is different than Frost. It's more of an NBA feel with the sound system and pregame intro. I would not want it for every game but once or twice a year is great. The truth is, I'm probably very biased because Sioux Falls is 45 minutes closer to home and I don't have to sit way up in some high school-style wooden bleachers like I would at Frost.
    I think the timing of the game was better in terms of drawing a crowd last year when the game was a month earlier. If you would have a game there against a quality team to kick off the season,I think it would sell out every year. This close to Christmas there are too many people traveling and finances can get tight.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      It would be interesting to see a geographic breakdown of season tickets for the sports. What percentage of ticket holders are 10-15 minutes from Sioux Falls as compared to 10-15 minutes from Brookings?
      That would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Well there you have it. Must mean it will happen again. Nothings changed since 1986. Well other then every conference in the nation. (that might not be 100% accurate either).

When the Summit league gets an at-large call me collect.
        Of course many things have changed. One thing that has changed is that the Summit has improved drastically.

Since 2000, the Summit has lost/dropped:
        Youngstown State
        Chicago State
        UMKC
        Southern Utah
        Centenary
        Oakland

Since 2000, the Summit has added:
        SDSU
        IPFW
        NDSU
        USD
        Omaha
        Denver
        Since 1997, the Summit has also added IUPUI and ORU as well.

IMO, the second list looks much more like a potential multi-bid league.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
          I have a hard time believing that. It's not about past history. It's about what that specific teams resume for that current season. Being in a respectable conference obviously helps (I firmly believe that The Summit League has got some people's attention this year). It's tough for mid-majors because the sos will be weaker and have less chances to get quality wins so they can't afford those 2 or more bad losses (RPI above 100). The argument will always be if an average P5 team is greater than a very good mid-major. If a team is good enough, they will get into the NCAA Tournament with an at-large bid. Just win the conference tournament every year and don't worry about getting an at-large bid. And if you don't win the conference tournament, you hope to have positioned yourself to be in the conversation into getting one. Good, deserving teams will always be left out. You can't please everyone.
          What really matters is if having a 4th or 5th or 6th major conference team in the tourney is better for the tourney than a second mid major conference team.
          Like when they expanded the field of 64, for a moment I thought, wouldn't that help more mid major teams get in? Nope it allows more major conference teams into the field to keep their considerable fan bases engaged.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
            What really matters is if having a 4th or 5th or 6th major conference team in the tourney is better for the tourney than a second mid major conference team.
            Like when they expanded the field of 64, for a moment I thought, wouldn't that help more mid major teams get in? Nope it allows more major conference teams into the field to keep their considerable fan bases engaged.

The mid-majors are what make the NCAA tourney great. I'd say a considerable amount of basketball fans will agree with that.

It's better for the "major" conferences because then they get another piece of the pie.

I'd rather see a really good mid-major team than a P5 conference team that struggled to or didn't get to .500 in their own conference and has a 19-12 record with 10 of those wins coming in the ooc portion of their schedule all at home. Versus a mid-major that might be 24-7 with a three conference losses and four road ooc losses. The are likely better than the "big" team but has zero chance to prove it because they aren't getting a marquee name into their place to play. But hey, that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              The mid-majors are what make the NCAA tourney great. I'd say a considerable amount of basketball fans will agree with that.

It's better for the "major" conferences because then they get another piece of the pie.

I'd rather see a really good mid-major team than a P5 conference team that struggled to or didn't get to .500 in their own conference and has a 19-12 record with 10 of those wins coming in the ooc portion of their schedule all at home. Versus a mid-major that might be 24-7 with a three conference losses and four road ooc losses. The are likely better than the "big" team but has zero chance to prove it because they aren't getting a marquee name into their place to play. But hey, that's just me.
              Agreed. Mid majors are a huge part of the draw. Upsets are what people like to see.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I was curious if SDSU had a home football playoff game down there, would it sell-out?
                I know where I'd put my money. Outdoor, short-notice football in Late Nov/Dec? Unless the game involved NDSU or (maybe) USD, I don't see that happening. The SDSU/USD semifinal Summit game in the first year at the Premiere Center did not even sell out and that's indoors with a possible trip to March Madness on the line.

Enough about that; the Pentagon game was a good time, sellout or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I agree with those sentiments, but the reality is that it is all geared toward the big conferences.

The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                  X