GDT: SDSU vs IUPUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU vs IUPUI

The first half was great for Larson. The Jags tried to concentrate on him and he created 7 first half fouls for the Jags. The second half the fouls were created by the guards. Parks had a decent night against the Leathernecks last week from 3 pt distance. However, he was most effective when he was spotted up for a shot rather than the solo create a shot off the dribble. Last night was similar for his creating a shot rather than catching from a spot and shooting. The Jags also gave him more attention on the drive and arriving at the rim. Luckily there were some other players to pick up the slack. It was a good defensive effort by the Jackrabbits as well.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      I wouldn't call Marshall "dead eye" from the FT line as he is shooting 65% (26/40) for the year, worst on the team (top 4 for attempts).
      I sense I need to spend more time studying the stats over Gojacks.com before I make statements. I had no idea Marshall had missed that many.

Comment

After taking a look I see Bittle has the best pct of active players some have 100 pct like Jacobson who for the most part has ridden the pine. I had thought Marshall had done better than he had. FT are very important, I don't know of another sport where you can add points without running the game clock.

Comment

Two thumbs up for the effort last night. Defense was the key last night. The Jacks didn't shoot the ball well and still won fairly easily. The start was the exact opposite of what they saw in Denver and Fargo. Give IUPUI some credit, they were pretty decent defensively as well but when the team plays that hard they are going to be really tough to beat. If they start shooting it well they will blow some teams out.

Just imagine how ugly that game would have gotten last night if the Jacks offense was clicking.

RELAX everybody, these guys are going the right direction. Time to fill Frost and make it LOUD on Saturday.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

BTW, defensively that was as good as Cody Larson has played. He absolutely owned the middle last night!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Things are going in the right direction.

Marshall is coming around (Player of the week, last week)

Parks is definately more comfortable at the 2.

Telly is becoming one of, if not the top Freshman in the conference.

Moffit contributing is just bonus.

Would like to see Devine play some more, I really thought he was coming around earlier...but I'm not at practices.
              Also, Flatten's minutes have gone down too, right? I thought he looked really good early in the season. But again, I'm not at practices.

I trust the coaching staff.

Also, there will be some more hiccups along the way. Got to stay patient with this team.

Comment

Jags saw 13 guys get minutes last night. Jacks had 8 get minutes. On the current roster there are two (one transfer) seniors and 4 juniors including 2 junior transfers, otherwise 2 "program" juniors". 2 sophomores and 7 freshmen. The makeup of this roster is much more of a team rebuilding with a new coach then it is coach with the experience of nagy. They are 12-7 with a good chance to win 20+ this year. So something is working for sure but each year has to be tough on these kids with such a short bench. So a long winded buildup to this question, has Nagy always have a slew of transfers in and out or is this past two years different? Or are we under recruiting by focusing on the SD kids so much?

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
                  Jags saw 13 guys get minutes last night. Jacks had 8 get minutes. On the current roster there are two (one transfer) seniors and 4 juniors including 2 junior transfers, otherwise 2 "program" juniors". 2 sophomores and 7 freshmen. The makeup of this roster is much more of a team rebuilding with a new coach then it is coach with the experience of nagy. They are 12-7 with a good chance to win 20+ this year. So something is working for sure but each year has to be tough on these kids with such a short bench. So a long winded buildup to this question, has Nagy always have a slew of transfers in and out or is this past two years different? Or are we under recruiting by focusing on the SD kids so much?
                  SDSU has always had transfers during the Nagy era. Not as much during the dark period of transition, but at that time we were not a destination where many players with options wanted to be. Jose Frias was a transfer I believe. A few that come to mind that got significant playing time prior to the transition were James Banks, Mike Torrence, Turk Watson, Mike Smith (Flandreau), and Marquise Richardson. I'm sure there have been many others, and SDSU had very good teams using transfers for the most part.

Edit: I think SD kids are capable of playing on this level. Maybe not filling out a roster, but there have been PLENTY of South Dakota kids who have contributed at SDSU in the DI era. If given the choice between players of equal ability, I would prefer we get the South Dakota kid every time over an out of stater. Doesn't mean I'm not glad to have out of staters when they get here though. IMO, if you want to get players like Cody Larson, Cedric Lang, or Zach Hanson out of high school, you have to build credibility with players like Brayden Carlson, Chad White, and Zach Horstman.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    SDSU has always had transfers during the Nagy era. Not as much during the dark period of transition, but at that time we were not a destination where many players with options wanted to be. Jose Frias was a transfer I believe. A few that come to mind that got significant playing time prior to the transition were James Banks, Mike Torrence, Turk Watson, Mike Smith (Flandreau), and Marquise Richardson. I'm sure there have been many others, and SDSU had very good teams using transfers for the most part.
                    True but since SDSU has been full fledged D1 i don't think there has been many. That said,i think in todays world of college bb transfers are much more common. When you can get 2 transfers from P5 schools and a very good JUCO,why not?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      True but since SDSU has been full fledged D1 i don't think there has been many. That said,i think in todays world of college bb transfers are much more common. When you can get 2 transfers from P5 schools and a very good JUCO,why not?
                      You're right.

IMO, in order to get good transfers you need to have two things available: immediate playing time and an available scholarship. At least during the Wolters years, those things were pretty scarce.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I can see a lot more people transferring out of Nagy's program than AJ's just for the fact that they might want to play. AJ goes 11 deep all of the time and Nagy only plays around 7. If you come here and don't play right away, you might not think that you are in his plans. There are some players that work their way up but the odds aren't the greatest. When you had Nate's class(2 guys) and Braydon class(4 guys) would you really want to stay when you will ride the pine for 2 or 3 years? If you transfer out, they might look for a transfer in for experience and the equal out the classes. We already have a fairly young team but what would we be without those transfers?
                        Would somebody like Rachel Walters still be here if AJ coached more like Nagy? I can't say either way but I don't think she would have played much for the first 2 years or if she would have ever seen a ton of playing time. She was a spot up shooter that didn't excel on defense. Of course I'm comparing apples to oranges so take it for what it's worth.
                        If you look at the team I mentioned before, they had 3 SD players, 2 from Rock Valley(1 hour) and 1 "other" player that played most of the time so I won't say it's recruiting SD kids.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          BTW, defensively that was as good as Cody Larson has played. He absolutely owned the middle last night!

SUPERBUNNY
                          I know this isn't hockey but Larson would of had 3(?) more assists if his passes weren't passed to other players for layups. They double teamed him and it was pass-pass-layup.

Comment

Jags saw 13 guys get minutes last night. Jacks had 8 get minutes.
                            I would bet that if you would look at the number of players who get minutes on Div I mens teams during conference play in non-blowout games, that the 8 number would be a lot more common than 13. Playing 10 plus players tells me that it's likely an average team that doesn't have many above average players.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I would bet that if you would look at the number of players who get minutes on Div I mens teams during conference play in non-blowout games, that the 8 number would be a lot more common than 13. Playing 10 plus players tells me that it's likely an average team that doesn't have many above average players.
                              The Jags also played defense full court every possession. They were looking for extra possessions by turnovers in a game that needed to be a little closer to get those meaningful scores. It may also be trying to equalize the talent with the extra effort needed to move the ball 94' every time. IUPUI did not rest on defense.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                              X