• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye D-II

Article from today's Mankato paper.

Women's BB job had 67 applicants; now down to six
    By Chad Courrier

Free Press Staff Writer
    MANKATO — By the end of the week, Minnesota State Athletic Director Kevin Buisman said that he’d like to be down to three or four candidates for the vacant women’s basketball job.

One candidate who will likely be among the finalists is Concordia-St. Paul’s Paul Fessler, according to several sources.

Buisman wouldn’t discuss individual candidates, but said he and his search committee have already narrowed down 67 applicants to six, three of whom were interviewed by phone Tuesday and three who will be called today.

He said that by Thursday, he may be ready to name the three or four candidates he will bring to campus for face-to-face interviews. He’s also hoping to get feedback from current team members.

“I’m really pleased with the six candidates we’ve chosen,” Buisman said. “It’s been a very difficult decision. Ultimately, the No. 1 candidate will emerge, but choosing the four, five or six others has been difficult.

“I’ve said all along that I only want to bring three or four people to campus, but it might be tough to drop a couple of people out of it.”

Fessler has been one name that has emerged in the last two weeks. He has been the coach at Concordia-St. Paul for four seasons, and before that, he built the Anoka-Ramsey Community College program into one of the best in the Minnesota Community College Conference.

This season, Fessler’s Bears were 28-4, winning the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference championship and earning the top seed in the North Central Region. However, one of his top players was injured in the conference tournament, and on Saturday, Concordia-St. Paul was knocked out of the region tournament 74-39 by South Dakota State.

Fessler is 83-34 at Concordia-St. Paul, and in four seasons at Anoka-Ramsey Community College, he compiled a 101-18 record with three national championships and one runner-up finish.

Buisman said he hasn’t completely ruled out another candidate coming into the picture late, though he doesn’t expect that to happen. South Dakota State’s Aaron Johnston has long been rumored to be in line for the Minnesota State job, but Buisman said that Johnston never applied.

“You never say never, and the job description said that the job remains open until filled,” he said. “But I’m very happy with the six candidates we have left.”

Comment

Rumors rumors and more rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by Women's BB job hadKatoMav

This season, Fessler’s Bears were 28-4, winning the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference championship and earning the top seed in the North Central Region. However, one of his top players was injured in the conference tournament, and on Saturday, Concordia-St. Paul was knocked out of the region tournament 74-39 by South Dakota State.

Buisman said he hasn’t completely ruled out another candidate coming into the picture late, though he doesn’t expect that to happen. South Dakota State’s Aaron Johnston has long been rumored to be in line for the Minnesota State job, but Buisman said that Johnston never applied.
        Nice spin on the loss to the Jacks, like having one other player would have made the difference. Concordia was the 5th best team in the regional, clearly. I hope this puts to rest the B.S. about A.J. leaving. Lets focus on the task at hand, winning the National title, again.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Women's BB job hadKatoMav

Women's BB job had 67 applicants; now down to six
          By Chad Courrier

Free Press Staff Writer
          MANKATO — South Dakota State’s Aaron Johnston has long been rumored to be in line for the Minnesota State job, but Buisman said that Johnston never applied.
          There is the Key to the whole rumor. End of Stroy.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Hopefully the article from the Mankato paper puts and end to the rumors and helps push the haters and FES'ers off this topic. AJ makes a lot more money than Mankato could offer (not that money is everything, but why walk away from the cash he makes). Also, I wouldn't put any money on Margenthaler lobbying for AJ to join him in Mankato.

There's also a problem with AJ moving up to another D-I job, he's a guy. Look at major D-I women's programs (other than UConn), all women. Look at mid-major and the rest of D-I, mostly women. Gender equity has taken back the coaching ranks in college basketball. Yes, AJ has done some great things for SDSU's women's basketball. But he's still a guy, strike one in getting a move up job. Besides, he doesn't have to move up now. Once SDSU finds a conference, AJ is only a few years away from the women's NCAA's. And even though the same few teams seem to win the D-I women's title, small schools make a good run in the tournament all the time.

Comment

I was just curious as to what rumor on the suesports message board you guys find more ridiculous. Johnston to Mankato or SDSU dropping football. You guys dropping football to "concentrate" on b-ball is my favorite. They also have NDSU dropping wrestling, which I found amusing.

Comment

Sioux sports has gotten so ridiculous in their fear, hatred and envy that I don't even lurk over there anymore. Besides, I am too busy learning about all the new D-I competition to worry about what a D-II schools thinks about us. ;D

Go State!

Comment

The article in today's Argus ought to put an end to any stupid rumors concerning Coach Johnston and Vogel. On the UND board there was some jackass claiming to have very inside information on the coaching situation at Mankato and he said A.J. was going there and taking players with them. This is the same guy who wants people to believe in his posts on their board. Give me a break!

Comment

Why not D2? If there was ever any questions, The USA TODAY has a 25 word story- buried on page 9c on Kennesaw St. winning the national championship in D2 basketball. Beside it is a 55 word story on Ohio St. winning the national championship in fencing. Goodbye D2 and good riddance!

Comment

Well said...Goodbye DII (and Augie and USD)...Hello DI (and a BRIGHT future)...There's only track and basketball left and we've moved on...To ALL SDSU coaches and the incredible athletic staff....THANK YOU and we look forward to supporting you.

Comment

WOW! Such hatred, negativity, and so many chips to be removed off of the shoulders of the six or seven people that post here. Man there must be a great deal of interest in Brookings about the move to DIAA with all of those posters.

DIAA sports is a second rate division. And so what if DII is third. The only thing that matters to the masses is who is #1. And thats not any of us.

By the way Jckd"MD" if you really are a MD that is very pretentious to use in your nickname. And I don't believe a USD alum would be a SDSU backer. No offence. Except about the nickname part.

Comment

NCC FAN,
                          i personally know a handful of people who are USD alums (from med school, pt school, etc) who wouldn't support USD if their life depended on it, yet they still are alums. Ask the USD foundation when they call for scholarship money how many times they hear, "i give to SDSU, where i received my undergrad degree", i bet you would be surprised.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

nccfan:
                            See thread D1 envy....
                            Then Go away....

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                              "i give to SDSU, where i received my undergrad degree", .
                              Count me as one who gives the USD fundraisers this response.   

Comment

My brother and fiance both obtained their undergrad degrees at SDSU and then went on to PT school at the u. Count them in to the category that will never contribute to usd.

Comment

Working...
                                X