Goodbye D-II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye D-II

I agree on the last post about the typical reaction of USD fans and Augie fans.
    I believe that in a 10 year span, you will see a semi-rebuilding of the North Central Conference as a D1 conference. I have to believe that quality programs like Mankato, St. Cloud and NDSU will see how it's affected SDSU and we'll have more regional games than we'll have in the next few years. USD will ALWAYS be D2 as will Augie. And so be it.

Comment

USD ***,
      Upper Iowa and Peru State are you kidding me!!! You make fun of us for losing to the soon to be National Champs (metro) How did you Mueller and his boyfriend do???? Oh thats right he listened to it on the radio with the rest of us. You may have beat us but in the long haul we still went further.

P.S. Tell Mandy and the girls nice season. I will send them a post card from the Elite Eight!!!

And save his post for the reminder or how bad trailer trash is!!!!

GO JACKS!!!

Comment

SDSU Mens Basketball fans,

I talked to some of the UNO mens basketball coaches today who watched your game against Metro and they were in awe. One coach told me that they beat Creighton by ten on a neutral floor. They said the Strong kid would have been the best kid in the NCC by far. I guess their coach used to coach professionals over in Austrialia and thats how he got the Kendall kid. They told me that if anyone has a chance to beat them it would be UNK only because they have played them three times already and maybe not as intimidated. I will be shocked if they don't win it all in D2.

Maverick

Comment

I think it will be a tougher road this year than in 2002 for Metro just because they sort of suprised teams then with their pressure defense. Now they are more on the national seen and teams know what to expect. That is what was so disappointing about the Jacks loss. We knew what was coming and still didn't have a chance from the tip. Dunlap must have some serious connections or maybe hes in with Barnett and his "gals" up the road in Boulder.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hate to repeat trash but lots of talk on the Sioux Board about AJ leaving. Latest is he is taking Seiler and Vogel with him. I don't believe any of it but does anyone think AJ is seriously considering the Mankato job?

Comment

No this is all non-sense. If AJ leaves, I will be totally surprised. Why would he want the job at Mankato and what job is open? The women's coach has not resigned.

As far as the men staff, no one has resigned that I know of. This is all crazy stuff and where its coming from is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                I hate to repeat trash but lots of talk on the Sioux Board about AJ leaving. Latest is he is taking Seiler and Vogel with him. I don't believe any of it but does anyone think AJ is seriously considering the Mankato job?
                No way AJ leaves for Mankato, he might go to a more est. D-I school, but why would he step back to MSU-Mankato.  The other question I have is who is this USD everyone keeps talking about?  I have never heard of them.  Who do they play?  Upper Iowa, Peru State, must be some NAIA or D-II school I guess.  

Go State!

P.S. you yote fans have a special section set up for your messages, please use it.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                  No this is all non-sense. If AJ leaves, I will be totally surprised.  Why would he want the job at Mankato and what job is open?  The women's coach has not resigned.

As far as the men staff, no one has resigned that I know of.  This is all crazy stuff and where its coming from is beyond me.
                  Ann Walker resigned at Minnesota-State before the season was even over---in fact she resigned right before the turnaround point in the Conference season---she decided to finish out the season as the head coach as a favor to the kids. I would doubt that Sieler would follow AJ to MSU if he bolted for that job. Vogel would be a possibility since both she and AJ are both have St. Peter ties which is just up the road from Mankato. Regardless, it is all speculation right now and I am sure that AJ has not fully processed all, if any, of the things he would need to in order to make a decision like that. He is more likely concentrating on the task at hand.

Comment

Coyotefanatic is correct about Walker's resignation at the beginning of the year. The job is open and I guess if the challenge of building a new DI program does not interest him I hope he is up front and makes his intentions known soon after the Elite 8. Lets face it we have a long difficult climb and maybe the allure of coaching at school close to where he has ties, a quality facility and where he can be a hero is tough to turn down. I would think SDSU would be aggressive and offer him a nice pay raise.

Comment

If AJ wins his second NC, no way he goes to Mankato, IMHO. He either stays at SDSU for the challenge, or goes to another D-I school with potential.

Remember the probationary period for all sports but men's basketball is five years, and it will be correspondingly easier for SDSU to make a splash in D-I in women's basketball than men's.

Now, if the U of M has an opening, he might go for it...
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Women's basketball only has a 5 year probationary period? The Big dance for the Men sure speaks volumes about the money involved and the subsequent unreasonable waiting period to get in. When do we learn if the probationary period for men has been reduced. I think the women have the best chance for success in DI sooner than other sports.

Comment

Aaron Johnston is a wonderful coach...there is no disputing that. However, I think it will be hard for him to find a DI job in a major conference. Of course, that may change if he gets his back-to-back titles. The lure of MSU is that they are full of young talent. When they showed up to the arena this season, which was not very often, they were a competitive team that showed a lot of potential. I know that many of the coaches in the league feel this is a program that is not that far away. Couple this with an incredible facility and you could see why these "rumors" may have surfaced. AJ may win back-to-back titles---wouldn't it be hard to not compete for that for 5 years? Plus keep in mind he is obviously familiar with Matt Margenthaler who would probably lobby to bring him there quite hard with the MSU administration. If he would leave, and my gut feeling is that he won't, you could see a lot of kids jumping ship. This is a huge move by SDSU that probably has some of the marginal kids scratching there heads debating of whether or not they can play DI. When a coach leaves---the fact is---kids tend to leave too. This maybe wouldn't effect the Jack football program or men's basketball program, which truthfully will need many years before they are ready to compete at an above .500 level---but this would be a travesty to a women's program that quite simply isn't all that far away from being right there among DI low to mid-majors.

Comment

Regardless of what the coach does, one would think that the underclassmen would love to get the best of both worlds. The juniors, sophomores and, hopefully, the freshmen will have reached the peak of Division II with at least one national championship. Then they'd get to jump up and play Division I while staying with their teamates. That's a pretty rare opportunity . . .

Comment

Originally posted by coyotefanatic
                              Aaron Johnston is a wonderful coach...there is no disputing that. However, I think it will be hard for him to find a DI job in a major conference. Of course, that may change if he gets his back-to-back titles. The lure of MSU is that they are full of young talent. When they showed up to the arena this season, which was not very often, they were a competitive team that showed a lot of potential. I know that many of the coaches in the league feel this is a program that is not that far away. Couple this with an incredible facility and you could see why these "rumors" may have surfaced. AJ may win back-to-back titles---wouldn't it be hard to not compete for that for 5 years? Plus keep in mind he is obviously familiar with Matt Margenthaler who would probably lobby to bring him there quite hard with the MSU administration. If he would leave, and my gut feeling is that he won't, you could see a lot of kids jumping ship. This is a huge move by SDSU that probably has some of the marginal kids scratching there heads debating of whether or not they can play DI. When a coach leaves---the fact is---kids tend to leave too. This maybe wouldn't effect the Jack football program or men's basketball program, which truthfully will need many years before they are ready to compete at an above .500 level---but this would be a travesty to a women's program that quite simply isn't all that far away from being right there among DI low to mid-majors.
                              Coyotefanatic speculates in his post, how this "rumor" could have started.  I don't have to speculate, I know how it started. . . its called D-I Envy and all remaining members of the NCC should read and post to the thread before they type.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

That is all this is.  Some poster with D-I Envy over at Sioux Sports types a thread that is full of nonsense and then we talk about it over here.  :  Please, I know our friends who want to be big fish in little ponds can't understand the excitement of "Steping Up" and competing at the next level, and since you can't please talk about your nonsense on your baords instead of coming here and making yourselves look foolish.  

At State we want to be all that we can.  We want to challenge ourselves.  We want to move forward, not stand still, or more accurately step back, as the smaller schools enter D-II and move for lowering of scholarships and levels of play, so that fairness may reign through the division.

Coyotefanatic says himself that SDSU is not far from being a competitive D-I school.  I will go one further and say that SDSU's program is a competitive D-I school today.  We played Colorado and Iowa State tough this year.  If I recall correctly Colorado's Coach (Colorado which was and is a top 25 school) said that SDSU would be a top 25 school in D-I.  If that is true why would A.J. leave to build a program at MSU-Mankato, that is dumb.  Coyotefan mentioned that Matt Margenthaler would lobby to get A.J., again please  :  Any NCC school would knock down A.J. door if they thought they had a chance.  I think it is far more likely that Matt has been keeping an eye on the SDSU job hoping that if Scott gets to move up to a more established program, someday, that he would love to move up to a D-I SDSU.

I know this post is wasted on those who are content to beat the stuffing out of Upper Iowa (Provisional D-II), Peru State (NAIA) and Wisconsin-LaCrosse (D-III), oh wait Wisconsin-LaCrosse beat you, but come on.  With this "all that players play for is the chance at a National Championship" talk I have to ask why do athletes go to USD  ???  When was the last time that USD won one?  If your  theories are correct why wouldn't the NCC apply to the NAIA, look how well Sioux Falls University is doing.

Come on guys (USD, UND, UNO and the rest), you have said that every player and every coach is going to leave for one of the other NCC schools and it hasn't happened yet, so move on or seek help for your D-I envy.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

89 rabbit
                                I could not agree more. Because Morganthaler has been enthusastic to the point of annoyance about beating his old friend Scott Nagy, it does not mean that he will stay in Mankato for ever nor would he sabatoge any opportunity at SDSU. If Nagy were to leave, I sure Morganthaler would be high on the list and he did not leave Brookings with any enemies. I remember how Busick and Back of the Bus Fans gave him an ovation the first time MSU-M played in Brookings. To think that he would have a hand in bringing AJ to Mankato is grossly inaccruate and false.

People may wonder why Troy Larson walked away from a head coach at Morningside to become Nagy's assistant. The reason is that of the Assistant BB at SDSU is one of the best jobs in the NCC.

Morgenthaler's ability to talk AJ into going anywhere is nuts. I know Nagy has incentives in hsis contracts such as 20 win seasons and advancement to the NCAA tourney, and after last year AJ no doubt has the same. Why would these guys drop these opportunities to go anywhere? It woud take more money than MSU-M could afford. Also consider the Budget at MSU-M. They have cut back on football scholarships to 28 to feed the hungary hockey program. If MSU-M has those fiscal problems, how can they possibly come up with the cash to lure AJ away from SDSU? Lets see the rumor mongers answer those questions.

I can assure you none would consider USD and their half assed run HPER.

Comment

Working...
                                X