Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Western Illinois

Nice fairly comfortable win last night. Pretty fun to see some athletic dunks from an sdsu player instead of just the opponents.

Sorry to be negative for a minute but has anyone else noticed Anders Broman does not look like a D1 player? He's small, not very quick or athletic, and thus far I do not have any confidence in his three point shot. He also seems to be a defensive liabilty. I get it he's only a freshman but I'm just not seeing much for positives from a guy I had pretty high hopes for. Also says a lot for guys like Donlan who don't even sniff the floor over a badly struggling Broman. I'm glad we have two new guards coming in next year for a little insurance and probably much more.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
      Nice fairly comfortable win last night. Pretty fun to see some athletic dunks from an sdsu player instead of just the opponents.

Sorry to be negative for a minute but has anyone else noticed Anders Broman does not look like a D1 player? He's small, not very quick or athletic, and thus far I do not have any confidence in his three point shot. He also seems to be a defensive liabilty. I get it he's only a freshman but I'm just not seeing much for positives from a guy I had pretty high hopes for. Also says a lot for guys like Donlan who don't even sniff the floor over a badly struggling Broman. I'm glad we have two new guards coming in next year for a little insurance and probably much more.
      Agree he has not connected on his 3pts shots as advertised, but I don't think he has thrown the ball away. I notice last night he passed up some shots and instead handed the ball to Larson. I suspect that is according to plan, but I still think he needs some more time on the court to work these things out. He could still pan out to be a very good player.

Comment

You may very well be right, but you have to realize it's a huge step up from the level he was playing in MN to DI SDSU. He is getting minutes as a true freshman so I wouldn't give up on him just yet. He's probably never going to be a kid that creates his own shot but can be a valuable weapon from beyond the arc if he can get some of his swagger back.

He's probably one where it would have been nice to get him a red shirt year.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          You may very well be right, but you have to realize it's a huge step up from the level he was playing in MN to DI SDSU. He is getting minutes as a true freshman so I wouldn't give up on him just yet. He's probably never going to be a kid that creates his own shot but can be a valuable weapon from beyond the arc if he can get some of his swagger back.

He's probably one where it would have been nice to get him a red shirt year.
          He is a liability right now and that is not unexpected. He will be a guy that can come in, snipe a few big 3's and hopefully not get burned too often on the defensive end. That is what he will be.

Great win last night. Dykstra was huge down the stretch hitting those FT's and Larson was a beast. I thought the Jacks got a little tentative with the outside game and that made it closer than it needed to be. Have to give Covington credit, he kept WIU in the game.

Big match up tomorrow against a UNO team that better be fired up after that butt kicking last night.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Everyone is going to have to be patient with Broman. I agree a redshirt year would have been best but watching at practice early in the year, he looked like it wasn't too fast. Now, his confidence is down and he looks a bit overwhelmed. Broman's high school was so small and the competition level was very low but watching him play Pulley was another story. He shot the ball very well when given open looks. He'll work on ball fakes and one dribble jumpers etc over the next few years and will be a very nice contributor to the team. Putting the ball in the basket is his skill. With his confidence low, that's been an obvious struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              He is a liability right now and that is not unexpected. He will be a guy that can come in, snipe a few big 3's and hopefully not get burned too often on the defensive end. That is what he will be.
              I agree. I said when we signed him that he would likely end up as a Mike Felt type player for us. Nothing wrong with that.

He's a freshman, give him another year or two. I do wonder if there is a possibility to redshirt him next year as the team will have lots of guards, a couple of which are only around for a year or two.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

He's not playing with a ton of confidence right now, but it is way too early to say he isn't a D1 player. I remember seeing some kid who didn't look like a D1 player his freshman year and early in his sophomore season. I believe his last name was Carlson, first name started with "B". Something different like Bryden or Braylon... oh well, I'm sure his name will come to me eventually.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

I expected broman to be in the likes jill young was for the women. Short a little slow but a good shot. Uhopefully can be good enough on offense won't hurt us on D to much. I really thought the coaches would use donlan and devine more.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sorry to be negative for a minute but has anyone else noticed Anders Broman does not look like a D1 player? He's small, not very quick or athletic, and thus far I do not have any confidence in his three point shot. He also seems to be a defensive liabilty. I get it he's only a freshman but I'm just not seeing much for positives from a guy I had pretty high hopes for. Also says a lot for guys like Donlan who don't even sniff the floor over a badly struggling Broman. I'm glad we have two new guards coming in next year for a little insurance and probably much more.[/QUOTE]

In the last 6 games Broman has played a total of 79 minutes - second only to Senior Marcus Heemstra off the bench. In that time he has contributed a whopping 9 points - including zero in the last 4 games. He is just not ready and should have been redshirted but the point guard situation made Nagy feel that he needed him. It also helps that when the school has their hands out for zillions of donor dollars that they can spout off about playing a Parade All American, Minnesota High School leading scorer etc. I wish quite a few of those Pine Riders like Jacobsen, Horstman and Donlan were allowed to play with the sort of license given to Broman. You have to question what is really going on behind the scenes, and what the fans are being told - I'm not buying it.
                    Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Good effort from the Jacks last night. I like seeing the team working inside out, running the offense through Larson in the post. That's a big change from the Wolters era. When Larson forces teams to double him, and when they're hitting the resulting open looks from 3, this is a very good team.

Regarding Broman: I like his basketball IQ and I think he'll figure it all out.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I wish quite a few of those Pine Riders like Jacobsen, Horstman and Donlan were allowed to play with the sort of license given to Broman. You have to question what is really going on behind the scenes, and what the fans are being told - I'm not buying it.[/QUOTE]

2 years ago all we heard was how hard Prince improved and gonna be a big part of the team etc and we saw how he didnt seem to improve and we know how that turned out. This last off season we hear how Donlan was great and huge strides and he cant even get garbage time yet it sounded like he was going to be a factor. Makes me wonder if its a behind the scene stuff or practice issues or coach just trying to light a fire for players who he mentions that he tells fans something in turn trying to get that player to take the next step or something along those lines. The only other time I recall coach really doing that calling players out by name who before they really played he expected to contribute and be a big part of this team where both Challahans. When Garrett was a freshman and hurt, never played college ball he probably put to much pressure on him but said this team in going to be instantly better when he gets on the court. Sort of same thing When Griff came over, and both of them rose to the challenge. I mean its not like Chad White is irreplaceable, he is having a rough senior year, not sure why Donlan can get a few competitve minutes see what he can do. Horstman his first couple years was hit and miss, but got chances at least. If i recall a couple years ago he pretty much single handedly won the game for us at IUPUI when every one struggled he came in and made some 3s and brought some energy.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

How deep do we want to go into the bench? I've always preferred a solid 8 man rotation over 10 or 11 with the last 2 guys of the bench being shaky at best. Donlan isn't going to see any meaningful court time this year and I don't see Jacobsen in at crucial moments either.

Nagy is committed to a rotation of Carlson, White, Bittle, Broman and Horstman out front with Dykstra, Larson, Heemstra and Devine underneath.

Injuries or illness aside, that is your Jackrabbit men's basketball team for this year. You can love it or hate it but you better get use to it.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Bittle has been off the last couple of games. He has only attempted 5 shots (missed all of them) the last 2 games and has recorded 8 fouls. He turned down a couple wide open 3 last night. I know he is a great defensive player, but he needs to contribute on the offensive end as well.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

2 years ago all we heard was how hard Prince improved and gonna be a big part of the team etc and we saw how he didnt seem to improve and we know how that turned out. This last off season we hear how Donlan was great and huge strides and he cant even get garbage time yet it sounded like he was going to be a factor. Makes me wonder if its a behind the scene stuff or practice issues or coach just trying to light a fire for players who he mentions that he tells fans something in turn trying to get that player to take the next step or something along those lines. The only other time I recall coach really doing that calling players out by name who before they really played he expected to contribute and be a big part of this team where both Challahans. When Garrett was a freshman and hurt, never played college ball he probably put to much pressure on him but said this team in going to be instantly better when he gets on the court. Sort of same thing When Griff came over, and both of them rose to the challenge. I mean its not like Chad White is irreplaceable, he is having a rough senior year, not sure why Donlan can get a few competitve minutes see what he can do. Horstman his first couple years was hit and miss, but got chances at least. If i recall a couple years ago he pretty much single handedly won the game for us at IUPUI when every one struggled he came in and made some 3s and brought some energy.
                              Nobody complains more about rotations than me... but I guess I'll take the guy with the third best 3 point percentage in school history over a redshirt freshman (at least I though I heard Tyler say that last night). He won't catch Sargent for total threes in a career, but he will likely be within a dozen or so. He's also the only player besides Dykstra on the team who has over 1,000 career points (Carlson will be there too by years end). On top of all that, White defends and rebounds better than most "shooters."

Chad doesn't get much credit from many posters here, but IMO he has been a fantastic player for us. Sooo many CLUTCH shots he has made in his career that changed the trajectory of this program.

You are also correct about Horstman winning games for us early in his career by my memory. The more time passes, I just think he is a player without a position on the current roster. Not quite quick enough to play guard, to small to play post. Throw in the injury bug, and he's out of the rotation.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I really think the underlying point of this whole conversation is that it's a damn big step from HS basketball to D1. Some are ready right away, some take a couple years before they can contribute, and yet others never get there even though they were projected to be the next coming of Jesus.

I think the fact that Broman is getting somewhat significant minutes shows he is gonna be a serviceable player for us. Maybe not a super star, but someone that will at least give us some quality minutes. The comparison to Mike Felt is a good, IMO.

I'm not within the inner circles of the basketball team so it's hard to be too critical of Nagy on his rotation. I'm guessing there is more to earning minutes than most of us fans realize. We've been successful the last few years and even this year when everyone thought we would be down without Wolters we've been pretty damn good. And we have also been playing our best the last month or so. Tells me maybe Nagy knows a little bit about what he's doing. Or at the very least he is good at hiring qualified assistants.

Comment

Working...
                                X