Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Originally posted by JACKGUY
    I have heard Matt Cadwell from St. Pauls Cretin Durham Hall High School has committed to the Jacks. It would be nice if the Jacks can start tapping into the extensive talent in the Twin Cities Metro area. He was second team all metro! No final word yet on Tom Conboy of Minnetonka who led the state in scoring. He may walk on at U of Minn. With one DI school in the state of Minnesota we should be a major player in this market.
    JACKGUY,

Thank you for keeping the rest of us up to date on the recruiting scene. What else can you tell us about Matt Caldwell? How tall, position, etc. Also how serious is Tom Conboy. Do we (or did we) have a realistic shot at him?

Comment

Matt Cadwell-6'2 Guard. Can play the point or shooting guard. 20.7 points 6.8 rebounds 3.2 assist. "Creates for himself and his teamates". 2nd team all-metro.

Tom Conboy- 6'8 forward 3yr starter at Minnetonka. Led Metro with 24.6 average. 38.5% three point shooter. Again believe he will walk on at Minnesota. A lot of people wondering why his stock is not higher. He also is 2nd team all-metro.

Comment

Interesting note that Jesse Becker 5'11 guard from Osseo and a first team all metro player has verbally committed to USD but may walk on at Marquette. Talk about two extremes. The bio on him is 19.1 points per game and a smart guard who makes big plays. A first team all-metro player going to the University of South Dakota?

Comment

Got to be a catch to that story. USD or Marquette?? Hmmmmmmmm........

Comment

I not surprised at all. I do give Dave Boots and his crew credit for good recruiting. They have found some very good players outside of South Dakota. No doubt the USD Staff goes to the same camps and tournaments that Nagy and Larson attend so they do get good looks at a lot of good athletes and each program needs something different so coaches go after different athletes. So many fans dont seem to realize that choices reflect what is needed for the immediate future and hot shot athlete from anywhere in South Dakota is often never recruited because he does not fullfill an immediate need.

This Matt Cadwell looks like a very good recruit to join Green, Wennig and Beran to build a neucleus for the future. Also most of us have not seen the kid from Humbolt Ia play, Red shirt this year. Who knows what he can do.

I am thinking Andy Kone probably has been helping in trying to snag the Minnetonka kid since this is Andy's home town and maybe high school. Hope Andy can turn the trick for us in recruiting this kid if my thinking is correct.

Comment

How do you guys think this years recruiting class will stack up against NDSU's class. I know that they got a good 5'11" guard, but I haven't heard much about the cadwell kid.

Comment

I always have faith in Coach Nagy. He has done a GREAT job for us. I am sure he will do a great job again this year, and my guess is when it is all said and done our recruiting class will be better then NDSU's.

Go State! ;D

Comment

On paper NDSU seems to have landed some recruits who have good credentials. Brett Winkleman,Ben Woodside and Tom Lunde are considered some of the top players in the state of Minnesota. I believe they are all from outstate Minnesota and thus competing against other smaller schools. I like the fact the Jacks potentially landed a kid from one of the better schools in the nation Cretin Durham Hall for producing top athletes ie. Joe Mauer,Paul Molitor and numerous others. NDSU seems to be talking to a lot of kids as you see them listed as a school that many top recruits are considering. I don't think SDSU's cupboard is quite as bare of top talent as NDSU as we are looking for specific needs and thus are talking to fewer players. I would not be surprised if Nagy is talking to some big athletic JC players and an experienced point guard to compliment the players we. Any new incoming freshman would most likely be reshirted. Last time I checked Lee Nelson a 6'4 player from Iowa was listing SDSU as his top choice. Do you go after the best player available or address specific needs. In basketball it only takes a few good players to turn around a program. If NDSU's recruiting class lives up to expectations we could have some very competitive games in a few years with our new rival to the north.

Comment

Has anybody heard anything about centers that we're recruiting, or is Nagy planning on using Jones, Dejong, or one of the freshman as a center. I thought that we would be getting some in with the loss of melaney, cervany, and Dejong being a senior, but maybe the coaches are more worried about point guards for next year?

Comment

I think center has to be a priority in this years recruiting class! We don't know yet if Matt Jones will ever return completely healthy and while we all pray he does he will be extremely undersized against the level of competition we are moving up too. I would rather see him in the 3 or 4 position. I though DeJong was turning the corner but he was a dissapointment again and don't feel he can be counted on to provide extensive quality minutes. He lacks agressiveness and athleticism. Ben Beran and Joe Green should develop into quality forwards but lack the size to be effective in the middle. We are seeking the same thing every other DI school and that is an athletic big guy who can score and rebound.

Comment

I havent followed high school Basketball in South Dakota for a number of years. In fact I was surprised to learn that Huron won the Class AA championship this year.  They had a 6-6 player named Eric Hall who has signed with USD.

Web posted Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Hall Headed To South Dakota USD Roundup: Huron Standout To Play Hoops At USD

VERMILLION -- South Dakota head men's basketball coach Dave Boots announced Monday that Eric Hall has signed a National Letter of Intent to join the USD basketball program this fall.

Hall led Huron High School to the Class AA State Championship this season, scoring a state record 87 points in the tournament. A first-team All-State selection, the 6-6 forward averaged 22.1 points, 10.0 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game as a senior.

The two-time all-conference selection, Hall finished his career at Huron as the second all-time leading scorer with 1,226 points.

Hall is Boots' fourth signing during the spring signing period and sixth member of the 2004-05 recruiting class.

MY TAKE ON THIS NEW BIT:

The last thing I want to question is Coach Nagy's recruiting choices, but you wonder how SDSU fits in here in USD's choices.  The stats on this guy are impressive, but Coach Nagy looks at the total player, and if he was a Derrick Schantz, he would have been signed by now and apparently this guy is not that great.  Besides he probably wants to play for a National Championship ;D :-/ ;D :

Comment

Article in the AP section of the Argus:

New scholarship rules for NCAA?

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA Division I Management Council voted unanimously Monday to repeal a rule on scholarship limits in basketball and replace it with one that rewards teams for overall academic performance.

The current rule allows schools to offer five scholarships in one year or eight in two years, but it penalizes schools - no matter how well they've done historically - by not allowing them to replace scholarship players who become academically ineligible, NCAA president Myles Brand said.

One of the proposals the Management Council will present to the NCAA Board of Directors later this month would set a team threshold for triggering a penalty, such as the loss of a scholarship.

The exact numbers would be determined later.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

During an interview on KWSN on National Letter of Intent Day CoachNagy said that the South Dakota kids were a challenge this year.  This was due to all the negative clamor about our move.   He said going D-I was a Big Plus for the out of state kids and he felt like the same would be true for South Dakota kids soon.  That being said I think this kid from Huron may have fallen victim to this (if we ever wanted him, not sure we need a 6'6" scorer.  We really need a point and a true big man who can play D and rebound).

Here is a link to the National Letter thread:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...1628750;start=

I also read about the proposed rule change to the 5/8 rule.  I hate when local papers chop up an AP story like this and runs with it.  They make it sound like it is a done deal.  What it did was pass a bureaucratic hurdle.  I have no doubt that the 5/8 rule is going to change, but the way they reported it will confuse a lot of fans.  :-/

Go State!

Comment

I honestly don't think the coaches felt their were many graduating players from the State of South Dakota that fit our needs or could help us. The exception was the big 6'11 kid from O'Gorman who committed to Creighton and the Martin kid from West River who is going to Montana. I never saw the Hall kid play but heard a lot of good things about him. Do we need another 6'6 forward? I don't think so. As stated previously we need a classic point guard and a big athletic center. Even with the addition of Cadwell I think Nagy and Larson will find a JC point guard who can help us.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                                I honestly don't think the coaches felt their were many graduating players from the State of South Dakota that fit our needs or could help us. The exception was the big 6'11 kid from O'Gorman who committed to Creighton and the Martin kid from West River who is going to Montana. I never saw the Hall kid play but heard a lot of good things about him. Do we need another 6'6 forward? I don't think so. As stated previously we need a classic point guard and a big athletic center. Even with the addition of Cadwell I think Nagy and Larson will find a JC point guard who can help us.  
                                This is my take on the situation with Hall, also. Just not a good fit for SDSU. The 3 players who would have been the best fit for the Jacks right now all happened to go to more established DI programs (yes, Montana is more established). Just a tough break. I support Nagy's stance that we must recruit the players which best fit his system regardless of their point of origin. We can't recruit and sign in-state kids just because they are from S.D. Granted, if they have the talent or even potential then we need to pursue.

Priority at this time is a J.C. guard and a talented, true center. These will be tough spots to fill and Nagy may have to make due with what we have now. I think he the boys can handle it. Go Jacks!!
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X