BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

I haven't heard anything about limiting increasing scholies in BB, other than having to follow the 5/8 rule. ???

Comment

I think SDSU is really going to have to work hard to continue its recruiting success in Iowa. Both Greg McDermott at UNI and now Tom Davis at Drake have made it very clear that they are going to go hard after Iowa kids. Add them to Creighton which has had very good success in Iowa and you have 3 solid local mid-major DI teams hitting Iowa. We are now directly competing for the same kids whereas before we were after DII/DI level kids, now we need solid DI kids only. It may be more of a year by year thing depending upon how may ships each school has, how many DI kids there are in a given year and how well SDSU can continue to convince them to leave the state. I certainly hope we can keep it up!

Just my two cents.
      ________
      Iron duke engine
      Last edited by CycloneJack; 02-15-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
        I haven't heard anything about limiting increasing scholies in BB, other than having to follow the 5/8 rule.  ???
        Please explain the 5/8 rule for those of us less familiar with DI athletics/DI basketball. Maybe this has been discussed on this board before and I missed it. I know I have seen discussions about it on the Bisonville site but I didn't catch the specifics. Thanks.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My understanding:

A program can sign a max of 5 players in one year or 8 over a two year period. There are some exceptions made if, for example, a player is "on course to graduate" leaves a program it can petition the NCAA to essentially not have that count against them. There are other exceptions as well.

I think they put it in place to keep programs from oversigning and then sort of running off the ones they didn't want or hedging their bets on not everyone showing up in order to get down to the scholarship limit of 12 or whatever. I know it is a hotly debated issue because it can really put a program in a lurch if it has some defections due to academics or transfers and so on.

Hopefully that makes some sense.
          ________
          MERCEDES-BENZ 300 SLR SPECIFICATIONS
          Last edited by CycloneJack; 02-15-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I heard that on the women's side the jacks have a verbal from a 6'2" girl from sisseton.

Comment

Courtney Grimsrud is the girl from Sisseton. I think she is a four time all state selection. Sisseton won the STate A's 3 out of her four years and were runner up the other year. She is tall and pretty athletic but looked a little rough, can never really tell competing against other high school athletes in South Dakota. Should be a good addition and a project for Aj to develop.

Any other words on the guys side??? They seem to pretty hush, hush.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

A couple of questions:
                1) Do you guys expect to recruit the Twin Cities metro area harder than you have in the past, or do you think you'll stick with recruiting mainly Iowa and SD (which has worked quite well I might add)
                2) Do you think NDSU will have an easier time recruiting Twin Cities area kids because of the size of Fargo compared to Brookings (I'm not trying to start a Brookings vs. Fargo debate, I'm just curious)

I ask these questions because it seems there is alot of mid-major talent just a short distance from Fargo and Brookings. The Bison has greatly tapped into this talent for football but not bball. The only player from the Twin Cities metro area that has been a significant player in the NDSU program is Brian Sand. Other than that not a whole lot of luck. On paper, I really like NDSU's recruiting class, although the Minnesota kids we got are not from the metro area.

Comment

My take from living in KC for over 10 years now is, that to a kid from a Metro area, North and South Dakota are the same.  The size of Fargo vs Brookings will be a non-factor. Besides to a Metro kid a 45 min drive is nothing.  So the drive to Sioux Falls is nothing.  So again the size difference is a non-factor.  I could be wrong but that is my take.  

As to your first question, I think we will be looking for D-I talent wherever we can find it. So I think the answear is yes we will hit the Twin Cities hard.

Go State!

Comment

I think it really depends on the individual.  Some students from larger metro areas area looking for a change of pace, and Brookings would be ideal for this.  It is a college town and really caters to college students, but I personally think there is a lack of entertainment options in Brookings.  If people want more of a city, they will probably go to Fargo, but if they want a college town, Brookings would be a good choice.  I've talked to people from the Twin Cities that go/went to school at SDSU, and some love it, and some didn't care for it.  I think both universities offer great academic and athletic programs, and that's what most student-athletes are going to look at when choosing a school. Having Sioux Falls 45 minutes away is an advantage, but that drive can get old if you're making it frequently.

Comment

I have a friend who is an administrator at Cretin-Derim Hall in St. Paul. According to him, SDSU recently watched CDH play a game or two, and are extremely impressed with CDH's PG/SG, Matt Caldwell, who has been named All-State and All-Metro. SDSU wanted to get him in for a visit ASAP and he will in fact be in for a visit very soon. He is of good size for a PG, 6-3, and is being recruited by some D1 schools and a lot of D2 schools, some as a point and some as a shooting guard. Thought that would be some info you guys would be interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by D
                        I have a friend who is an administrator at Cretin-Derim Hall in St. Paul.  According to him, SDSU recently watched CDH play a game or two, and are extremely impressed with CDH's PG/SG, Matt Caldwell, who has been named All-State and All-Metro.  SDSU wanted to get him in for a visit ASAP and he will in fact be in for a visit very soon.  He is of good size for a PG, 6-3, and is being recruited by some D1 schools and a lot of D2 schools, some as a point and some as a shooting guard.  Thought that would be some info you guys would be interested in.  
                        D,

Good stuff, thanks for the "heads up".

Go State!

Comment

The team is back practicing this week. They're doing conditioning, weights, and two on two stuff. They are having a lot of recruits coming in this week and next week, anywhere between one and three guys a day.

Comment

I wonder why the names of these kids coming in for a visit are not published like they are in the Tribune with Gopher recruits?

Comment

The Jacks are listed as an Independent on Insiders Recruits. Also Junior Mitch Begeman of Sioux Falls O'Gorman is among the players listed. Northern Iowa is listed as a school recruiting him. Jacks have been persuing as well.

Comment

I have heard Matt Cadwell from St. Pauls Cretin Durham Hall High School has committed to the Jacks. It would be nice if the Jacks can start tapping into the extensive talent in the Twin Cities Metro area. He was second team all metro! No final word yet on Tom Conboy of Minnetonka who led the state in scoring. He may walk on at U of Minn. With one DI school in the state of Minnesota we should be a major player in this market.

Comment

Working...
                                X