Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D-I Midnight Madness

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    Nagy has also indicated they have no current plans to redshirt current freshman and none have approached him to do so. This is in stark contrast to NDSU which it seems is redshirting their entire freshman class. There is hope the Jacks will sign one South Dakota kid this fall.

Any idea who they are looking at?

Comment

If you were going to sign a kid, last year was the year. The well is a little dry right now. Michael Twedt is a 6'6" junior at Pierre, and he reminds some folks of Doug Hall out of Huron. The Hyde kid at Sully Buttes has some interesting potential and real good, SDSU bloodlines. If you want to know about South Dakota high school basketball players, go to www.dakotaschoolers.com . That is the high school all-star team that plays in the summer tourneys.

Comment

Sorry, said Hyde, meant Yackley. Same bloodlines, wrong name. There is a Hyde kid playing for Sully Buttes also that is real good. They are both grandkids of Sutton.

Comment

did usd have a sd kid on their baseball team last year?

Comment

I agree with Mike_H on Twedt...he's one to watch.

I've watched him for several years. I'm not sure I agree with the comparison to Huron's Hall. Twedt may have more untapped talent at his age. At times, he does a few things like Mark Tetzlaff did at the same age.

Comment

Another correction. It should be ERIC Hall. JD: good point on Twedt. Hall started to be really good his junior year, and then exploded his senior year. Twedt was already a second team all-stater last year as a sophomore, and the guys with the Schoolers said he had a great summer.

Comment

Its nice to have a South Dakota kid on the team, but having the best team one can recruit and develop takes priority over geography in my mind. Coach Nagy has a career of finding dandy freshman and making top notch players.

Many have roots elsewhere, and some have stayed in SD such as Chris White, working for UPS in Sioux Falls. Chris was a great player who thought Coach Thorson was joking when he offered him a scholarship.

It nice to get those cleancut Lutheran kids from SoDak but it will not happen that often in the future. In the 1950's most were South Dakota kids. Those days are gone. Now they have to play at Augie and Dana ;D

Comment

I know the Begeman kid from O'Gorman has been on their radar for a while.

Comment

The jury is still out on whether Mitch Begeman is a D1 player or not. He is a heck of a player and a great kid, but it's the old "quick enough to play point, big enough to play 2" questions that need to be answered. (Hey, a post where I got both the first and last name right!)

Comment

Updated Roster now posted on Men and Wome's site.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
                        Oh, I forgot, USD has all SD kids on their roster, and always have.  NOT!!

USD always gets the leftovers. They always have. That's why they call their school US(E)D. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

JBNJBQ,
                          You always have a great quip no matter what the topic.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Anyone familiar with Ben DeWaard of Stickney who is on the team. I noticed he played for the Dakota Schoolers.

Comment

He is a good clutch player. He made either 2 or 3 buzzer beaters in the 2002 State Class B tournament to lead Stickney to the State Championship. I thought he originally went to DWU. Did he transfer to State or has he been there since his freshman year?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                                The jury is still out on whether Mitch Begeman is a D1 player or not. He is a heck of a player and a great kid, but it's the old "quick enough to play point, big enough to play 2" questions that need to be answered. (Hey, a post where I got both the first and last name right!)
                                Agreed. I think he would have been a fantastic addition to the "old" D2 SDSU, but he may not fit in the plans for D1 with the jump in competition. I guess we'll find out this High School basketball year, since he'll have to fend for himself without having Steve Smith to rely on for double teams, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X